WTD tarp and bivi

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jamiep

WTD tarp and bivi

Post by jamiep »

Just before I pull the trigger I thought I'd see if someone needed to get rid...

DD 3x3 tarp, Alpkit xl hunka bivi

Edit: ah, just seen the xl is out of stock :-( may go for non-xl has it is unlikely folks will have a xl to let go
johnnystorm

Re: WTD tarp and bivi

Post by johnnystorm »

I wanted an XL so I could fit me, my down bag & a Neoair Xtherm inside it. As the XL was OOS & no fixed date for restocking I bought a RAB Storm from here. Obviously can't comment on comparative performance but the Storm works well with similar dimensions.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd also possibly consider something other than the DD tarp. They're PU nylon not Sil, so are pretty heavy/bulky in relation to other (only slightly more expensive) options. PU doesn't dry as quickly either.
May the bridges you burn light your way
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

I have a rab storm that i would consider selling..?
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

s8tannorm wrote:I'd also possibly consider something other than the DD tarp. They're PU nylon not Sil, so are pretty heavy/bulky in relation to other (only slightly more expensive) options. PU doesn't dry as quickly either.
What am I looking for here? SIltarp? They seem a lot rather than slightly more expensive.

Is the rab storm a suitable alternative to the hunka? It would be £55 using Go Outdoors price guarantee.

Thanks chaps
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The RAB Storm's a good bag. It's more 'Alpine' style than a Hunka meaning you can fully enclose yourself in it and it also has a thicker, bathtub style base. A bit heavier than a Hunka but very tough and very roomy. I've got a pre-RAB one that's still going strong after 15 years.

Sorry ... when I mentioned siltarp I should have said 'Integral Designs Siltarp'. They do 3 different sizes, 1, 2 and 3. The one is nice and light but you need to be fairly happy setting it up in bad weather to get the best from it. The 2 offers quite a bit more room but it's double the weight at 400g. I think the tarp in Chews latest Bivvy a month report is a Siltarp 1.

Cheap(ish) Siltarp 3: http://www.georgefisher.co.uk/camping/p ... 3-grey.asp

Siltarp 1 and 2: http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/tarps.html
gairym

Post by gairym »

How about the Hennessey Hammocks Hex Tarp that Mr Fishy has just listed for sale???

Cheaper than the £35 DD Tarp and almost as light as the £89.99 SilTarp II - it's a funny shape but that shouldn't be a problem?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The TN and WC tarps are worth a look at too.

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/camping/ten ... l-shelters

I've seen the TN ones in action and they look fine (silnylon) but not seen the WC ones ... I would imagine they'd be PU nylon but might be wrong.