I could get one made, but... steel Audax/fast tourer frame/set wanted, ~57-58

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

I could get one made, but... steel Audax/fast tourer frame/set wanted, ~57-58

Post by jameso »

Looking for a steel frameset for rim brakes, somewhere along the line between an Equilibrium 853 or an older lugged level top tube audax/light touring frameset. Can't bring myself to spend either the time sourcing one in Asia (unfair if it's a one-off and no orders following) or spend top £ on a new custom for what is really going to be a winter sub standard-roads wet-miles tough-love kind of bike. So an old Roberts or something like that would be ideal.

Frame or frame+forks, either of interest.

57 - 57.5 square C-C equivalent

Needs
- steel fork or a trad 1" or 1 /18" head tube to suit available aftermarket forks
- rim brakes, deep 57mm drop calipers or cantis, calipers preferred
- eyelets for guards
- 130mm rear end
- room for spacers on the steerer tube if a fork is included

Rim brakes because of retrogrouch tendancies. There are a few options new eg Spa or Thorn but they're not quite what I'm after. Got a long Audax event this summer and the carbon fork on my Eq is at retirement age (~10 years old and it scares me every time I think about it while descending on rough roads :grin: ).
Dyffers

Re: I could get one made, but... steel Audax/fast tourer frame/set wanted, ~57-58

Post by Dyffers »

I have pretty much exactly what you want. :o
IMAG0158.jpg
(114.79 KiB) Downloaded 593 times
Roberts Audax Compact custom built in 2006 for me at 6'2". I normally ride a 58 top tube and this was slightly shorter and slightly taller headtube. Custom painted too.

Like yours, the carbon fork came to the end of it's natural life (mudguard rubbed through the carbon) and I found an equivalent Genesis steel fork but never rebuilt it so couldn't vouch for how it rode with it but you could have it if you wanted.

It hasn't be built up since 2013, frame has been stored in the loft as it has a lot of good Audax memories for me; 2 X PBP, LEL, Mille Cymru amongst many others during my most active Audax years. But realistically I'm never going to ride it again.

I've got the frame, the Genesis steel fork and the Shimano long drop brake calipers. I don't know what they are worth, but I paid about a grand in 2006 and they were about £1400 for the frame set without custom paint when Chas Roberts wound up a few years ago.

PM me and we can discuss further if you're interested.
atk

Re: I could get one made, but... steel Audax/fast tourer frame/set wanted, ~57-58

Post by atk »

What's the clearance like on that Roberts? Tentatively in the market for something similar, both in terms of size and intended use, but with clearance for ~32c + guards.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Built for 28s with mudguards. Would probably get 32s without 'guards but remember the limiting factor will be the brake calipers unlike 2020 disc brake framesets.
atk

Post by atk »

I have a set of snazzy stoppers designed by a chap named Paul that should handle 45mm guards fairly easily.

I'm regretting passing on a Pacer that was up for sale locally. Not the fanciest of frames but would have ticked enough boxes as I try and get back into audax and the like :sad: