Jones Loop Wanted

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

Jones Loop Wanted

Post by Mariner »

Last bit of the build is a Jones H Loop Bar 710 mm Aluminium double butted in black.
Photos and price required please.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Max Effort

Re: Jones Loop Wanted

Post by Max Effort »

Get yourself some On-One Geoff bars. Identical and a fraction of the price.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Max Effort wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:35 pm Get yourself some On-One Geoff bars. Identical and a fraction of the price.
Like these?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/On-one-Geoff ... SwlThdlitP

Wonder why they are not selling. :shock:
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

Yes, I’ve seen those.
I thought about sending the link below, but didn’t want to spoil their fun 🙄

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBOOGBV2/ ... -handlebar
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've got a pair that came with a Surly Ogre that I'd probably be willing to part with.

They are described as :

"Handlebar : Jones Loop, 710mm. Anodized. Black"

I'm guessing they're all butted? Is double-butted a thing for Jones bars?
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

In Reverse

In the middle of the bar where it clamps to the stem is a printed box with writing describing the bars.
If it says SG then they are the plain AL if not they are double butted and I would be interested in them or even if they are SG to be honest.
Any photos and price please. I will pm you my email address.

M
SLIMTIM

Post by SLIMTIM »

As a newbie, what are the benefits of the loop bars compared to a standard wide sweep 'single' bar? Is it felt to offer more hand positions or is the upside relating to luggage and mounting of lights etc?
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

Mariner wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:19 pm Wonder why they are not selling. :shock:
i did see a set of geoffs go for 60quid in auction on ebay within the last 6 weeks. maybe they seen it too and are hoping theres yet another joneswantingfool that doesnt know how to google out there
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

SLIMTIM wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:47 pm As a newbie, what are the benefits of the loop bars compared to a standard wide sweep 'single' bar? Is it felt to offer more hand positions or is the upside relating to luggage and mounting of lights etc?
All of the above.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It would be interesting to find out what the loop bars ribble are using. They might be a good halfway house between Jones prices and PX quality?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:41 pm It would be interesting to find out what the loop bars ribble are using. They might be a good halfway house between Jones prices and PX quality?
What’s up with the quality of PX/ On-One?
I’ve used their stuff since they started out without any problems at all.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've heard the bars aren't quite symmetrical, and the welding isn't as neat as the Jones, but only what I've heard.

For ballance, I've got a PX London Road and that's been faultless over thousands of miles.
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:43 pm I've heard the bars aren't quite symmetrical, and the welding isn't as neat as the Jones, but only what I've heard.

For ballance, I've got a PX London Road and that's been faultless over thousands of miles.
I’ve got some On-One Geoff, Mary, OG and flat bars. All of which are perfect.
I’ve also owned a few Inbred 26ers and now have an Inbred 29er. All excellent and out perform much more expensive and prestigious bikes.
techno

Post by techno »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:43 pm I've heard the bars aren't quite symmetrical, and the welding isn't as neat as the Jones, but only what I've heard.

Aren't the Geoffs made by a nitto?
My set of Geoffs were fine (although I didn't get on with the sweep) and my OG bars (almost perfect sweep) are great too.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've not seen a pair, only what I'd heard that the upsweep was slightly different from side to side. I've had loads of stuff from PX over the years and it's all been fine. Well apart from some merino knee warmers that slip down but that might be my weedy legs not being big enough :lol:

Are the PX bars butted or plain gauge tube?

The bars on the ribbles are a slightly different shape by the look of it. Quite interested in what they are but not much info on the ribble website.
ton

Post by ton »

i had some of the the on one bars. i have had about 5 pairs of the jones ones.
the on one bars are far far better. reason being, same position, far far less wonga.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Are you dead set on the 710? Got a 660 I think I'm probably not going to use again. Genuine Jones butted. Would be looking for what I paid, £85
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

thenorthwind wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:48 pm Are you dead set on the 710? Got a 660 I think I'm probably not going to use again. Genuine Jones butted. Would be looking for what I paid, £85
But I can get a brand new pair of Geoff bars which by all accounts are just as good for £60. :shock: :lol: :???:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

It did occur to me when I bought them, just after the Geoff bars were launched that I might as well have bought shares in Boeing :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Jones butted aluminium loop bars are 525g whereas the straight gauge are 650g (both the 710 variants) so if you weigh the On-One Geoff bar you should be able to determine which is closest - OO/PX don't list a weight for the bars - which will give a clue as to whether they are butted or not.

The Geoff bar is almost identical to the Jones, the radius of the curves on the front loop is smaller so it appears to be a bit more angular. One of those things you probably would only notice if you have the two side by side to compare.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Mariner wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:14 pm In Reverse

In the middle of the bar where it clamps to the stem is a printed box with writing describing the bars.
If it says SG then they are the plain AL if not they are double butted and I would be interested in them or even if they are SG to be honest.
Any photos and price please. I will pm you my email address.

M
Apologies M I'm going to need to keep hold of those bars for now. Hope you find a pair.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

No problem just remembered that as a poor pensioner the government is about to send me the cost of new bars for my winter heating allowance.
What better way to stay warm than riding yer bike. :-bd