Freecycle: Klymit cutdown mat (leaky)

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Freecycle: Klymit cutdown mat (leaky)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Got it off here by a nice person... Have tried to repair it and was pretty impressed in finding 3 punctures of which 1 is properly repaired with a Lezyne patch, the other 2 have a Leeches Leech (remember them) cut down between em but I dont think the material is very good for this mat..

Anyway, I'm sick of patching it and its still slowly leaking so gonna save the water in the bath to, erm, go down the plughole :o

Anyone wants it who thinks they can persevere (I'm pretty sure I've possibly found all the holes but they just need some more love) and patch it up then its yours... if not its getting binned (recycle bin off course) tomoz...

thenorthwind

Re: Freecycle: Klymit cutdown mat (leaky)

Post by thenorthwind »

I've had good results on a big rip in my mat using McNett Seam Sealer. It's held for years. Have a go with that, or I'll have a go if you're fed up with it. You can put it in the recycle bin, but I highly doubt it'll get recycled :|
It's probably a bit too "weight weenie" for me but I'd try it as a top-up for my other mat in winter.
redefined_cycles

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:44 am I've had good results on a big rip in my mat using McNett Seam Sealer. It's held for years. Have a go with that, or I'll have a go if you're fed up with it. You can put it in the recycle bin, but I highly doubt it'll get recycled :|
It's probably a bit too "weight weenie" for me but I'd try it as a top-up for my other mat in winter.
Excellent... thanks :-bd will get some Seam Sealer ordered and hopefully the little one will do it justice ...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Great, let us know how you get on :-bd
redefined_cycles

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:58 am Great, let us know how you get on :-bd
All sorted.. I've movee it on to Borderer who has some sort of recycle scheme going on and she'll repair and move on to some of the DofE kids or similar I imagine... She might need some input on the repair :-bd
redefined_cycles

Oh... and its a cut down version so more for torso and half thighs of fully grown adult (Stu might fit it fully :grin: )... Sorry Stu
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I used a Platypus patch on mine and it has been fine since. It was wear at the valve which caused a slow puncture that I spent maybe 10 nights on, too lazy to fix it properly
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Thanks, yes Joe is very good at fixing holes in leaky mats. He just uses the repair patches and glue that came with our Exped mats, which seem to work well.

The last one we got from here needed something like 12 patches in addition to 6 or so that were on there already, but is now holding air nicely. We gave it to a young lad of 24 who was heading out on his adventures, going backpacking across Europe. While a Klymit certainly wouldn't be my choice for a long trip, he wanted to travel as light and compact as possible and so wasn't going to take a mat at all but just sleep on the floor instead. :shock: So the Klymit has been a comparative luxury for him. :-bd He didn't know such a thing existed and so he was delighted with it.

A lot of my friends had their kids earlier than me so we now know quite a few young people who are heading off on travel adventures, something I heartily approve of and want to support. Helping them find ways to head off without 30kg of killjoy strapped to their backs is my way of doing that. The lad who has the Klymit left with a pack weighing just 7kg in the end, with all the gear to allow him to camp, cook, stay warm and otherwise fend for himself.