Wanted: Tour Divide Maps

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Karl

Wanted: Tour Divide Maps

Post by Karl »

Anyone got a set of Great Divide Mountain Bike Route (GDMBR)maps? Asking for a friend 😉
sean_iow

Re: Wanted: Tour Divide Maps

Post by sean_iow »

Don't forget to tell your friend the race route differs from the maps, wouldn't want him (or her) going the wrong way :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Karl

Post by Karl »

He knows that they differ, he's already got the gpx of the 2019 route. Just laying maps on the floor is more exciting...apparently. 😂
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I took mine with me and used them on the ride. Were actually helpful for the big picture versus just using (trusting) the Garmin. Consequently they're in tatters! Treat yourself to new ones, it keeps the ACA ticking over and they do some cool stickers too. :-bd
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I took mine with me but wouldn't bother again, they're nice to spread out and look at though. I have friends in Fernie and took a bit of hybrid route in Canada, for the route difference on the Basin I took the race route. I had the Cycling The Great Divide book on the Kindle app on my phone which was useful except for it's water resources south of Pie Town which was not a big deal.

They're not like OS maps, they give directions which are useful if you have a proper odometer, useless if your Garmin Etrex only provide distance to the nearest mile. It's quite common to meet people with the ACA maps who also have a Garmin and an old school cycle computer which will give distances to 1/10th of a mile. If you have to navigate away from the route the maps are useless. I had forest fires to work around at Holland Lake, Seeley Lake, and Ovando for example.