WTD Brooks Cambium C15

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

WTD Brooks Cambium C15

Post by sean_iow »

Anyone got one they no longer require or didn't get on with? Before I splash out and buy new.

The one on my mtb has developed a defect, I will probably have to send it back for warrantee/repair but the thought of being without it for any length of time makes me uncomfortable..... literally, so I'm looking for one to use whist it's away. After this it can then go on my "adventure" bike :smile:

Preferably in black but not too fussed as it's what it feels like to sit on that's important.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Re: WTD Brooks Cambium C15

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hope its not an insult but I have a Charge Spoon that you cwn have/borrow whilst you get yours sorted...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Thanks for the offer. I've got a spoon I could put on but I think I've got used to the Brooks now. The spoon used to be my go-to saddle but after a couple of hours I don't find them very comfortable any more,which is shame as they are such good value.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Sean i have a white one fella, let me just ask mark if hes still interested then ill let ya know as i said he could have first dibs ;0)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheers Mike. I might not need one now as Brooks say the mark on mine is cosmetic. If that's the case I'll have to wait before getting one for the adventure bike as I seem to be spending too much on bikes recently :smile:

I'm not worried if it is just cosmetic but I'd hate it to fail on an event. This is the mark if anyone has any thoughts.

It looks like the threads have broken on the top but are they just the finish to the saddle and not the structure? The mark lines up with the rear edge of the support underneath.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I've got a similar mark on the left rear of mine that is like a strip of the top material has been shaved away. I assumed it was caused by a seam on some shorts rubbing it. no idea why it's only one side!
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

I've a similar but deeper looking mark on my C17, in a similar position on the saddle's nose, and it's had at least a year's use, if not more, since being like that with no issues.
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Hello and that mark you have... this the the Achilles heal of the Cambium... its the standard failure point. Its the start of the saddle failure and will be replace when it fails, just not until it fails.

Its not cosmetic per say.. but at this stage, you cant tell if it will progress into a full failure. Think of this as a "crack in the lacquer - just cosmetic" of a carbon frame... in a point where loads of the same frame have failed! You know its going to go like the others... or not... just when is the question.

When the cambium first came out this was a real issue and they were sending out new top covers all the time, also new "rivets" too, as they were falling out. Brooks got "wise" to this and now only replace when a failure occurs, not before.

If you use google just look at all the images and yours (just like my one - mind only 1 out of the 4 cambiums I have) is failing.

It seems that there is both fabric reinforcement and a metal plate inserted into the molded nose of the saddle. If the bonding between the metal plate and the rubber is bad or goes bad for some reason this will help the saddle fail. Because there is a large change in stiffness at the rear of the metal in the nose, the saddle flexes more across a line at the rear of the nose metalwork; this can cause loss of the cover fabric on the outside of the saddle and may cause splitting on the underside.