WANTED: PANNIERS

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mh24

WANTED: PANNIERS

Post by mh24 »

HI Groovers, we are thinking of doing a bit of family overnight rides and was wondering if any of you lovely folk have any panniers you would like to off load - also any advice on what I should be looking for would be greatly received. The idea is to go for a few days at a time maybe mixing camping and youth hostelling sort of thing. The kids are still 10 and under! Cheers groovers. M
Bearbonesnorm

Re: WANTED: PANNIERS

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I reckon I've got some that I lent out to DoE. How many sets do you want?
May the bridges you burn light your way
mh24

Post by mh24 »

Stu you are a star!! We are a family of 5 so up to 5 "pairs" would be amazing depending on how many you have!? Are they individuals or pairs etc..Just let me know what remuneration / details you need!? Would they fit on adult and child bikes alike? m
psling

Post by psling »

This may be a daft (and possibly insulting) question but...
you do have racks on the bikes?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu you are a star!! We are a family of 5 so up to 5 "pairs" would be amazing depending on how many you have!? Are they individuals or pairs etc..Just let me know what remuneration / details you need!? Would they fit on adult and child bikes alike? m
I'll go and have a look.
mh24

Post by mh24 »

This may be a daft (and possibly insulting) question but...
you do have racks on the bikes?
No...sorry - I have nothing - am starting from scratch - are fittings universal?
Thanks for pointing out as well though! I am tired!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

are fittings universal?
Most racks are universal but obviously, you need to make sure the frames have fittings for them.
mh24

Post by mh24 »

Thanks - will address that!!
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

My son has an Alpkit 13l bar bag and a 2.7l Ortlieb saddle pack on his bike. Those work well and are not that pricey either. They are a lot lighter than racks and panniers. The Ortlieb pack works well on a younger person's bike as it has a bracket fitting under the saddle which holds it still and high enough to clear the tyre. Other packs I tried with him just rubbed. If you do get an Ortieb try to get the ones with shock cord on the top as this is very useful.

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/ ... rBO4_5tXyh
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
are fittings universal?
Most racks are universal but obviously, you need to make sure the frames have fittings for them.
P-Clips work ok if you don't have frame mounts.
If you have disc brakes make sure the rack you get will clear them. If the brake is fitted inside the rear triangle then it shouldn't be a problem.
mh24

Post by mh24 »

My son has an Alpkit 13l bar bag and a 2.7l Ortlieb saddle pack on his bike. Those work well and are not that pricey either. They are a lot lighter than racks and panniers. The Ortlieb pack works well on a younger person's bike as it has a bracket fitting under the saddle which holds it still and high enough to clear the tyre. Other packs I tried with him just rubbed. If you do get an Ortieb try to get the ones with shock cord on the top as this is very useful.
THANKS - This is all good info and i am new to this so v useful!
Mitomaniac

Post by Mitomaniac »

I've possibly got a set of roswheel pannier bags if your needing any more even have a rack that mounts on the qr skewer and just used a seat post clamp with threaded fittings to fit the rack to a bike that had no mounts
mh24

Post by mh24 »

I reckon I've got some that I lent out to DoE. How many sets do you want?
Hello again - back to the hunt of panniers again! Stu did you have any joy with seeing how many panniers you had?

Thanks. M
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hello again - back to the hunt of panniers again! Stu did you have any joy with seeing how many panniers you had?

Thanks. M
I won't lie ... I forgot, sorry. I'll go and have a look now.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Okay, search successful. I've found five pairs. All appear to be around 40l capacity give or take a couple.

£48 delivered for the lot ... winner takes all :wink:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Blimey, you 'found' 5 pairs, how much space do you have?!

I have a Topeak beam rack and rack pack that I'm not using, in fact it still has labels on, it's never been used.

It's basically a rack that mounts to a seat post, won't take massive weight but is an option if you have a bike that doesn't fit a rack.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Blimey, you 'found' 5 pairs, how much space do you have?!
You've been to't Towers ... my barn's like a row of terrace houses :wink:
mh24

Post by mh24 »

Okay, search successful. I've found five pairs. All appear to be around 40l capacity give or take a couple.

£48 delivered for the lot ... winner takes all :wink:
Hi Stu,

Sounds great - couple of questions from my wife!

Are they "doubles" or can you take one at a time?
What make are they?
Do they have any waterproofness at all - or is it a case of getting covers / dry bags!?
And 20L each bag?
What sort of nick are they in?

Many thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

They're all pairs but I recall 3 are 'joined pairs' and the other 2 pairs can be used separately ... if that makes sense.

Yep, capacity would be roughly 20l per side or maybe a touch more.

They're all Cordura type material so offer a degree of waterproofness but none are fully waterproof. I'd pack stuff in bin bags or similar.

Not sure about the makes. I do know there's some Brand-X but not sure about the others.

Bit dusty but I believe they're generally in decent, serviceable condition. They've being living in a box in the workshop since I stopped taking DoE groups out.
mh24

Post by mh24 »

They're all pairs but I recall 3 are 'joined pairs' and the other 2 pairs can be used separately ... if that makes sense.

Yep, capacity would be roughly 20l per side or maybe a touch more.

They're all Cordura type material so offer a degree of waterproofness but none are fully waterproof. I'd pack stuff in bin bags or similar.

Not sure about the makes. I do know there's some Brand-X but not sure about the others.

Bit dusty but I believe they're generally in decent, serviceable condition. They've being living in a box in the workshop since I stopped taking DoE groups out.
Thanks Stu - all sounds good. Do you know what sort of racks i would need / how I go about looking into this?

M
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you know what sort of racks i would need / how I go about looking into this?
Do your frames have rack fittings? If so and they're not anything exotic, then any basic universal rack should do the trick.

Something like these: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAJOAPR/j ... nnier-rack There's loads to choose from but at £13, these seem good value.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »