WTD Bar with extreme sweep

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

WTD Bar with extreme sweep

Post by thenorthwind »

Does anyone have a bar with a large backsweep they're not using and would be willing to part with for a (preferably small) amount of cash?

I want to try a new bar on my Longitude, largely for more hand positions, and would really like a Jones Loop - but I've never ridden with a bar with that sort of sweep before and I want to know whether it works for me before I go stumping up for the Jones.

As wide as possible, but weight and material not important, nor clamp size (I can just shim it).

Cheers.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: WTD Bar with extreme sweep

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I might have summat, I'll go and have a rummage.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

The curious thing about Jones Loops is that the apparent extreme sweep can be an illusion.
I had a straight bar on my Krampus which I didn't like so bought a J Loop.
I laid it on the bars to see where the grips would be and it was bang in the middle of the existing grips but at a different angle.

As if to disproove the above here is a Bend 2 bar over a J Loop 710.
ImageP1140206 (800x450) by michaelandamanda, on Flickr
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Ta Stuart.

I guess a "forward swept" section inboard of the back swept bit can make the back sweep appear more extreme than it is in terms of how far back the grips are from the stem (the Bullmoose being an extreme example of this, where the angle is quite extreme but the grips are still actually in front of the stem) but it's the angle of the grips themselves that concerns me.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Some time ago someone posted a bar comparison tool on here.
Hope fully someone will post a link to it.

Found it http://whatbars.com/
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Thanks, yes I've been using that. Need to actually get my hands round some though.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I have some 710 none loop H-Bars. They are not for sale as am holding for a build next year but welcome to borrow if cover postage costs and they come back in the same condition.

Edit: Think may well be in Newcastle (C-le-S) 2-5th Jan if helps
landel

Post by landel »

The On-One OG bars are worth a look too. I have them on my bike and like them a lot. Fitted with Ergon GP3 grips, give loads of different hand positions. Not quite the backsweep of the Jones but not too far off looking at a comparison on the whatbars site. £25 too

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOOG/on-one-og-handlebar
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

That's a really kind offer wriggles, and one I may well take you up on, thanks. I usually spend NYE with friends who live in C-le-S as it happens, though they might be coming to ours this year. I'll drop you a PM over Christmas to see if we can sort something out.

The OGs could be worth a try actually. I thought I'd looked at all the On-One options, but hadn't really paid attention to them since the main picture makes them look at lot less swept than they are.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Got some Mary's but that's about it really.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve got OGs and Jones. Both are good. My preference is Jones for long rides (more comfort and more hand positions) and OGs for arsing about in the woods (maybe slightly more control in techy situations). I’d say OGs are a good bet to see if you get on with sweep* and do/don’t want a bit more.

* Watch out for Sooty, he’s the jealous type.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I love the Jones bars on my Jones bike, they're nasty on anything else though. My experience of them is without the forward angle before sweeping back they make the handling super twitchy and can change a nice handling bike into a pig. There's no rise on Jones bars (unless you get the riser ones) and you'll probably end up angling the grips down a bit, so a drop instead. Because modern bikes tend to be long and low I was unable to get any benefits from the hand positions on the loops, my arms are too short. I've got On One OG's on my singlespeed and Answer 20/20's (sadly discontinued) on my Stumpy hardtail, both a million times nicer to use than the Jones bars.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Got some Mary's but that's about it really.
Ok, thanks. I'll see where I'm at by the Winter Event.

Interesting thoughts on the Jones and OGs. I use my Longitude for short local rides as well, so one of my worries is it'll feel a bit too "relaxed" with an extreme sweep.
techno

Post by techno »

thenorthwind wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:Got some Mary's but that's about it really.
Ok, thanks. I'll see where I'm at by the Winter Event.

Interesting thoughts on the Jones and OGs. I use my Longitude for short local rides as well, so one of my worries is it'll feel a bit too "relaxed" with an extreme sweep.
I use my OG bars (formerly on my longitude now on my stooge) for everything and cant say that relaxed is is adjective i'd use. They effectively shorten your stem so they seem to quicken the steering if anything. And for me the increase in comfort and reduction in finger numbness over a flat bar can only improve any ride.
At the price, they're a great starting point. I'm thinking of trying surly moloko bars as i think the increase in rake may improve comfort further and the extra position options would be a welcome addition.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Thought I'd update this thread with some thoughts (/blathering into the ether) since I fell down the alt-bar rabbit hole :roll:

I borrowed some Marys off Stu at the winter event (they'll be on their way back soon, Stu - sorry for the delay). I tried them on a couple of long-ish (6hr+) rides and a few shorter ones. The first thing I noticed about them was the lack of control, presumably due to narrower width (my previous bars were 740mm flat bars). I'm not talking about gnarly rad stuff here, just off-camber trail, wet grass and mud, etc. where you need a bit more leverage to keep it in a straight line. My office-worker upper body may not help here, but I had a few hairy moments on what I feel sure would have been innocuous trails before, so I don't think it's imagined.

I found the position fairly comfortable, particularly after I rolled them back a fair bit, but did get a bit of wrist pain at times - may be due to stem height/length/rise though.

On the plus side, I found they gave a really nice position when getting out of the saddle to climb short steep bits.

A month or so ago, I saw a pair of actual real Jones Loops for sale on here and couldn't resist trying them. I promptly threw them on the bike for a 2-night, 100-mile, largely non-technical trip. The thing that made we really excited about these is how easy it is to attached a bag and how stable it is without a harness. With the straps wrapped over both sides of the loop, it cradles it nicely and it doesn't budge at all. I've never seen mention of this before, but it seems like a significant advantage.

I've found them pretty comfortable, again after a bit of tweaking of the roll angle, though not life-changing. I did think they gave me significantly more control somehow, despite not being much wider than the Marys, being the 660mm version. Ideally, I think I'd have the 710mm riser version (in carbon please, if you're reading Santa :lol: ).

I'm not totally convinced about the alternative hand positions - nowhere else on the bars felt particularly controlled or comfortable, other than for a few minutes to give my wrists a break from the main position. Possibly I really want is tri-bars or a similar setup, but it seems like overkill for the time I'd use them, and a lot of extra weight/money/both.

Maybe I should have just stuck with flat bars and kept the can of worms shut :cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I tried some clip-on Tri bars many years ago (yes, at the time everyone laughed and pointed but now I'd be reet trendy) ... anyway, found them to be fairly pointless for general riding. I'm sure there is a time and place where they'd be ideal but I don't think the UK is it, unless you're only riding on the roads perhaps.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

They might be worth it every ride, but I think for longer trips with significant sections of road or fire road, I'd use them. I'll often rest my forearms on my flat bars if I'm pushing a big headwind, but it gets uncomfortable pretty quickly.

I wonder if a "tri-bar lite" setup with just the armrests from some tri-bars and some bar ends might work on a Jones Loop?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Tri-bars have a place on routes with lengthy road transitions. I reckon they're worth a gear or more, particularly into any headwind. There are certainly routes in N Scotland where they work well.

I do like my Jones Loops for bikepacking and on the fatbike. Wider helps. The advantage on the fatbike is that they seem to aid fine control in icy/snowy conditions.

Due to a wrist/hand injury I'm currently considering some sort of swept, wide bar for my "normal" MTBs, something around the 12/16 degree area. So far, SQLab are coming up as the most likely option.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I wonder if a "tri-bar lite" setup with just the armrests from some tri-bars and some bar ends might work on a Jones Loop?
This is Jeff's answer.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tri-bars have a place on routes with lengthy road transitions. I reckon they're worth a gear or more, particularly into any headwind. There are certainly routes in N Scotland where they work well.
Without doubt Colin but I always felt that modern mountain bikes didn't lend themselves to Tri bars - TT too long, etc, so too much compromise in their use. I can certainly see where they would be handy but as you say, that'd likely be a route with long road sections - in that case I'd likely not take a mountain bike.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's true that gravel/adventure bikes are now beginning to fill that requirement but I can easily think of routes where they would be overwhelmed on the off-road sections (at my ability level) anyway).
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

if your off road route does not overwhelm an "adventure" bike then you are on the wrong path :wink:

I think mine has seen actual real mountains once in it life
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Running clip on tri bars on my Fargo. I find I get some use out of them every ride I do. Pretty much all long UK off road rides involve road sections. It's nice to drop down into the extensions on the road and employ different arm and core muscles. Feels like you are even using slightly different leg muscle groupings as well.
They work well on fire roads and flatter grassy tracks as well.
Did a trip last month heading into a gale for three days and used them as much as possible. I'm fully willing to admit It might be as much psychological as actual advantage but I don't want to be without them anymore.
Has anyone used one of those Jones Gnarwal things? Can't say it looks very convincing for anything more than a short term position change.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
This is Jeff's answer.

What does Jeff suggest I do with my other hand? :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Once you've seen the price of them you'll manage one handed :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger