WTD Cheap Garmin GPS or similar

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

WTD Cheap Garmin GPS or similar

Post by dlovett »

To be used recording speed and track on a kayak. Needs to have a usb port or card slot to get the gpx files off of it, but doesn't need maps or anything fancy. It does need to be cheap!!
BobCatMax

Re: WTD Cheap Garmin GPS or similar

Post by BobCatMax »

Old mobile Phone? I've used one before, radio off but GPS on and updated before you set off. It worked a treat and lasted quite a while..
Image Image
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've got a Garmin eTrex H I was recently given by a work colleague who was clearing out her late farther's stuff. I think it can do what you require but you'd need to check. It turns on and appears to work.

It can be your's for a donation to Feed The Bear if it's any good to you?

Edit, it doesn't have a cable with it and I don't think it has a card slot but it does have some pins under a rubber cover so I guess it can be connected to a pc? Perhaps someone whose owned one previously could advise?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

BobCatMax wrote:Old mobile Phone? I've used one before, radio off but GPS on and updated before you set off. It worked a treat and lasted quite a while..
Thanks, but It's going to live with the kayak and I'd rather a dedicated GPS.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

sean_iow wrote:I've got a Garmin eTrex H I was recently given by a work colleague who was clearing out her late farther's stuff. I think it can do what you require but you'd need to check. It turns on and appears to work.

It can be your's for a donation to Feed The Bear if it's any good to you?

Edit, it doesn't have a cable with it and I don't think it has a card slot but it does have some pins under a rubber cover so I guess it can be connected to a pc? Perhaps someone whose owned one previously could advise?
Thanks for the offer, but we already have two old Garmin kicking around, but both are serial rather than usb.
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

I think I've got an old serial-to-usb adaptor lying around somewhere. Would that help?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

If anybody has an old Garmin cable they want to sell that would help, I have a pc that has a serial port on it still, just no cables for the old eTrex and 12xl units I have.

Cheers

D
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

How about a Bryton One? It's cycle specific but may suit your needs.

Under £50, ipx7 and bluetooth sync to your phone so no mucking about transfering gpx files with cables etc.

I recently bought a 10. Originally just wanted a wireless speedo but the price is so keen I went for GPS instead.