South coast winter Bivi 10/ 11 December

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Will

South coast winter Bivi 10/ 11 December

Post by Will »

So, there's a South West Bivi, a South East Bivi, so what about a South coast Bivi ?

Rationale is its a good two to four hours drive from where I am based to either of the other South Bivi meet ups and there is some nice riding here on my doorstep that it would be great to share with others who live in the vicinity London.

I want to propose starting from Brighton station around lunch time , then meandering across the downs toward Eastbourne, stopping either in Eastbourne (chips/ pier perhaps weather dependent ) or a pub along the way before a Bivi in Friston forest area.

Meeting points - if majority of people are on the train - I would suggest Brighton station as its a main line station with access from both ends of the coast and London (though admittedly a bit beleaguered by strikes at the mo) or if people are by car, likely the best place to park in this case is at Falmer where there is free parking at the Sussex uni and it's pretty direct access to the downs.

Happy to put together an easy route and share at some point...

Well what do you think ? Anybody up for joining me ?

Will
Will

Re: South coast winter Bivi 10/ 11 December

Post by Will »

NB despite proofreading that noticed a mistake - It's meant to read 'in the vicinity.' :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good on ya Will :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

This is a really wild suggestion for which I have no mandate to organise or speak for anyone else.
How about setting off from each end of sdw and meet up for a combined SW and south bb bivvy?

Usual caveats re weather cba etc.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Will

Post by Will »

That sounds a interesting plan Mariner but I think it's one for another time perhaps ?
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Good on ya Will" - wow, looks like all-compass-points event is actually a possibility after all! Hats off to you Stu for originating all this fab and enjoyable stuff - "BBB: offices in New York, Paris and Llanbrynmair". Oh. That's just brought back the philosophical can of worms about "how big can/should/might/may/will all this get".... too early in the morning for all that sort of gravitas....

"Reg"
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

Interested. Alfriston area is very nice. What's the total distance you have in mind?
Will

Post by Will »

Hi Kameltrek !

Fantastic to see someone is interested.

The route shouldn't take us too far, this is meant to be more of a social ride than anything and a excuse to get out...

My very rough estimation is less than 50 miles round trip. I've done Brighton to Eastbourne in around 3.5 hours on the South Downs way to give you an idea, but the emphasis is on taking it a bit easy, stopping for some food at a pub and then bivvying somewhere in the forest..before trundling back to Brighton.

I'm going to do a recce trip soon to identify some areas for a bivy but there is going to plenty of spots in the forest from what I've seen from previous visits..

I'll post up a suggested route in the next week. Does that sound like something your interested in ?

Will
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

This sounds tempting. I'm not sure what's going on in December at the moment so may have to see a little closer to the time, but I am interested.

Haven't camped, let alone bivi'd, in winter in years!
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I could be up for this, depending on other commitments.
Chess

Post by Chess »

Eastbourne based, so this is local, after riding to and sitting on Firle Beacon to watch last nights Lewes fireworks I'm a little worried about the cold but any more news?
Will

Post by Will »

Hi Chess, great to hear you are local and interested...

The important thing from my point of view is a sleep system and shelter that you know wil work for you in the conditions.

We will find somewhere that does its best to limit the worst excesses of cold - e.g. Forest , cover from wind etc but there's no getting away from the fact that the winter bivy is going to be cold , and also potentially wet and cold - but then again for me that's part of the fun and the challenge :) I've always enjoyed the few winter bivvys I've done at some point.

In terms of arrangements setting off from Brighton station lunch time 12 pm and Then heading on the SDW , finding hot food at a pub then to foresty spot in the forest somewhere for a sleep of some sort ...

I'm happy to alter the start point to Falmer Sussex uni campus if people are coming by car as it is free parking over the weekend there ...

Cool looking forward to it, would be great to have some company and make some local bike packing contacts too...

Will
Hummerlicious

Post by Hummerlicious »

Damn I've got a christmas do that night, otherwise I'd be up for that

I'm planning one over worthing way on Dec 23rd if anyone fancies that....
------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.Sussex-MTB.com
Riding bikes, dreaming about riding bikes.
My head is on the Tour Divide
------------------------------------------------------------
Will

Post by Will »

Hummerlicious - sorry you won't be able to make it , not sure I can wangle being out that close to Christmas and so soon after this but if you are planning other trips or nights out let me know :)
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

I'm not able to make that weekend. Enjoy the ride.
Will

Post by Will »

Hi all

I've just recovered from a demon cold and went out for a recce ride yesterday and found a nice manageable route along the SDW from Brighton to Alfriston, a pub, and briefly scouted out bivy spots and emergency refuge spots in case of Armageddon weather.

Here are some shots from the ride yesterday :) so , if that takes your fancy get in touch - aiming for depart 12 pm at Brighton station.
More nice views
More nice views
IMG_1234.JPG (53.59 KiB) Viewed 9711 times
Will

Post by Will »

IMG_1227.JPG
IMG_1227.JPG (38.2 KiB) Viewed 9711 times
Can't work out how to add more than one photo per reply !
Will

Post by Will »

Pub - has a fire and food till 9
Pub at Alfriston
Pub at Alfriston
IMG_1224.JPG (67.54 KiB) Viewed 9711 times
Will

Post by Will »

Emergency refuge 1  ! :)
Emergency refuge 1 ! :)
IMG_1226.JPG (69.36 KiB) Viewed 9711 times
Will

Post by Will »

Emergency refuge 2 :)
Emergency refuge 2 :)
IMG_1228.JPG (69.89 KiB) Viewed 9711 times
Will

Post by Will »

Meet here on Saturday anyone ?
Meet here on Saturday anyone ?
IMG_1221.JPG (33.18 KiB) Viewed 9711 times
Will

Post by Will »

Chess , Charliecres , Mat-swan - just checking if you are still interested ?

Will :)
Will

Post by Will »

South Coast winter Bivi cancelled then, was planning to get out myself tonight but Noro virus (vomiting children) has intervened !
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Sorry! I can't believe I forgot about this- I moved house two weeks ago and have no idea where the time has gone!

If it's any consolation it would have been much more fun than the saturday night I had sorting through boxes...
Will

Post by Will »

In the end I spent the night 'bivying' in the bathroom with a make shift bed next to the toilet a la winter vomiting bug :) probably best that I didn't go out that night after all :)

Mat - and others let's try again sometime .. I have fairly infrequent passes but when I do I'll let people know on here and propose a trip out.

Maybe see some of you at the winter event ?

Will