SE (Chilterns) Winter Bivy - 10/11 Dec

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: SE (Chilterns) Winter Bivy - 10/11 Dec

Post by jameso »

Any chance the bivi spot will have a few perfectly spaced trees?
1 spot isn't that well tucked away ie may see the odd walker but has good prospects for a social evening, nice views etc and may well be hammock-compatible also - give me a distance between trees and I can report back. Otherwise it's tricky to find a spot in this area that can accommodate a dozen or more that's not an open field, cold and exposed.

Tyres - it's not bad at all at the moment. Driest autumn in years and the ground has only just started to pool and get muddy. Will be avoiding the really claggy areas anyway as we have a pub to go to - can save the mud fest for Sunday if anyone's still keen! I'll still be on my Ardent rear / Purgatory front by then I expect.
Is this little adventure going to be mainly off road aka on mud or a general split.
Very little road at all, just the odd linking section but could use a fair bit of harder-wearing tracks. Won't be going anywhere near the field edges, mud pits of the lower byways or many hoof-churned tracks but the woods will be muddy in places. Nothing drastic though. Will see how it's looking next weekend on a route recce.

One thing I would avoid personally is any of the Schwalbes, just based on how flimsy they are ime. Flinty ground may be the end of them.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

give me a distance between trees and I can report back.
James, you are a true gent. Anything 3-5 metres apart is fine. Doesnt have to be level ground either. Dont go to too much trouble - I can bring a bivvi bag instead - in fact, I may well bring both.

Speaking of bivvi spots, I told a friend from my MTB club about the winter bivvi and he volunteered his woods near Little Kimble as a venue for the overnight.

To quote him:
Firewood supplied free, round house available (sits 8 comfortably with fire in middle), there is also a small shepherds hut with stove. Probably a bit too comfy for what you are thinking but at the least the owner won't chase you off with a pitch fork.
Sam's his name and he was going to register for the BB forum so may well be reading his own words. Too late for this year, but how tempting does THAT sound?
I'm just going outside ...
jameso

Post by jameso »

Firewood supplied free, round house available (sits 8 comfortably with fire in middle), there is also a small shepherds hut with stove. Probably a bit too comfy for what you are thinking but at the least the owner won't chase you off with a pitch fork.
Sounds great.. The spot I had in mind is has space for sitting around but can't match that level of facilities. A fire to go with a bottle of scotch :-bd but over to the rest who may have more hardcore ideas of sleeping in the mud? :lol:

It's quite a bit wetter out there than it was 10 days ago, just got back from a loop around Ashridge and near Wendover. Not soaked-through muddy yet but the rain from this week and last night in particular have made it all look more like the usual winter conditions. Wet leaves over roots the main cause of "oh$&1£" moments..

Benp, not sure how route and time will work out but pretty confident we can meet you at Wendover late afternoon / early evening?

Lights - everyone OK with bringing 3-4hrs worth of lighting? Will be needed from 3.30ish and might be after 6 before we stop at the pub, unless we want to stop sooner, weather's poor etc. Then from the pub to the bivi isn't far, or Great Kimble is down a hill then along an easy track, 30 mins or so.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Speaking of bivvi spots, I told a friend from my MTB club about the winter bivvi and he volunteered his woods near Little Kimble as a venue for the overnight.
To quote him: Firewood supplied free, round house available (sits 8 comfortably with fire in middle), there is also a small shepherds hut with stove. Probably a bit too comfy for what you are thinking but at the least the owner won't chase you off with a pitch fork. Sam's his name and he was going to register for the BB forum so may well be reading his own words. Too late for this year, but how tempting does THAT sound?
Sounds perfect; any muppet can be cold and uncomfortable. Will he be inviting his MTB club, too?
A fire to go with a bottle of scotch :-bd
Each, I presume?
Is anyone bringing a banjo and a fiddle? \:d/
it's not always easy to deduce a BBB-er's sex from their username but I would hazard a guess that our current guest list doesn't include any representatives from the brainier gender?
I was under the impression I'd be the only chap spending an evening in the woods with 13 "high/spirited", energetic ladies looking to keep warm :YMPRAY: . Is that not the case? :-(
May you always have tail wind.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Will he be inviting his MTB club, too?
Nah ... I mentioned the bivi on our facebook page and got the same low level of response I normally get. They're a good bunch who like their mud but few seem interested in sleeping outside. Just messaged Sam to see if the offer is still open and if he's joining us. I don't know where his woods are, but Little Kimble's only 2 miles from the Red Lion in Whiteleaf.

Speaking of rendezvous points, I cant remember what was agreed: was it Berhamsted around lunchtime first, then over to Wendover Woods cafe and on to Whiteleaf?

Lights? I'm bringing everything I've got.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Time wise, not sure but maybe Berkhamsted station am, Tring station pick up a couple hours later so prob 12, then to Wendover inc cafe stop, gives us between 2 and 6ish to get to pub at Whiteleaf. No idea how pace and faff will work out so route is adaptable and those time gaps are fairly generous. I thought a GPS linking main junctions of trails and stations, cafes and pub might suffice without fixing trail plans?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm hoping to confirm closer to the time, but I might not be impacted by the xmas fete now - involving external triage support to look after the kids and carefully managing my debit/credit brownie points.

If all goes to plan I'll be at the closest start point as early as possible, probably Berko. Travel options to be worked out based on whether, childcare and potential mileage for the trip. Most likely car or train/cycle combo. Car might be easiest, if there's a good parking option
benp1

Post by benp1 »

If anyone is coming and hasn't messaged me already with their details, please can you do so? I have 12 on the list (incl me)

I was going to put in a pre-order for dinner at the pub as if there's a few of us it might be quite slow otherwise. I know you booked a table for 7pm James, that still work OK?

How about we aim for Berkhamsted for 10am? I'm guessing we'll Tring a fun way (i.e. Ashridge or Ivinghoe Beacon) rather than via the canal

I'll set up a whatsapp group closer to the time so it'll be easier to manage our RV points and potential time changes so everyone knows the plan.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"evening in the woods with 13 "high/spirited", energetic ladies" :lol: You could be in for a bit of a shock Pete!

Talking of ladies, the one who loaned me a quilt at Corris the other day has shown me a whole new way to BP. I'm raising the stakes and hoping for breakfast in bed this time.

With all these tarps, tents & bags and whatnot we're going to look like a refugee camp or something.

Re food, I just tried to look at the menu on the boozer's website but got a server error. I then emailed the w/site admin and got an undelivery. I then emailed info@theredlionwhiteleaf.co.uk and that failed as well! Er, did it still exist last time you looked James? I think I might bring a pot noodle just in case :wink:

Can I just say thank you again to James n Ben for their efforts so far on our behalf.

"Reg"
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jameso

Post by jameso »

Car might be easiest, if there's a good parking option
Can offer you a secure spot with post ride bike wash, 5 mins walk from Berkhamsted train station, PM if needed.
How about we aim for Berkhamsted for 10am? I'm guessing we'll Tring a fun way (i.e. Ashridge or Ivinghoe Beacon) rather than via the canal
10 from the station would work, ~8-9 miles to Tring via the fun but not OTT-indirect route, about an hour normally.

No probs at all Reg, hardly done anything yet :grin: thanks for the pub research : ) and thanks to TBD for the 'bivi' spot, top job there.

White Lion site does seem down .. There's a pub just round the corner at Cadsden as a back up. Will check the RL this weekend while mapping the route.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Private luxury bivi spot confirmed. :-bd Dibs on sleeping in the roundhouse with the centre fire if its raining. Im going to recce it on Sunday so we'll have half a chance of finding it in the dark.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

jameso wrote:
Car might be easiest, if there's a good parking option
Can offer you a secure spot with post ride bike wash, 5 mins walk from Berkhamsted train station, PM if needed.
Thanks James, that would be great. Will PM closer to the time
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

I will be driving from Maidstone, I have a van so plenty of space if anyone from this general direction is attending and would find a lift helpful. I can go north or south around the M25 though I'd rather avoid the Dartford Crossing.

Sounds like good living this trip: cafes, pubs and a roundhouse... I had you lot all wrong!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Sounds like good living this trip
Chai lattes in the morning would be a step too far but there's a regional stereotype to be lived up to : )

So, bourbon or single malt .. :grin: Since I'm no longer anything to do with pub to bivi site navigation, I may bring both? :-bd
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I'll be driving across (not sure which vehicle yet :roll: ), and shall fit my mud tyres to some spare cheap wheels I have - as the alternative is schwalbe rocket rons :lol:

Has someone in an organise-y type position got my email to send details?

Looking forward to it :cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Firepit?? Nooo-o-o! If those rufty-tufty rock-hard northern or celtic types get to hear about this we're all dead! For goodness sake don't mention it outside this thread and we might get away with it. About the only thing we haven't got now are those scented garden candles on long sticks. I'm going to have to send my 'Dont Be Soft' stickers back.....

'Reg'
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

They'd just be jealous. I mean, all they have to look forward to are immense landscapes, remarkable views, interesting and varied terrain. Cant compare to muddy churned up bridlepaths, irate ramblers and dog sh!t on your tyres.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good point :smile:

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Zippy wrote: Has someone in an organise-y type position got my email to send details?
Yep, you sent them to me

Currently using it to sign up for very Black Friday offer on the face of the planet :shock: :-bd
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote:Firepit??
You mean like this one?
TheBrownDog wrote:They'd just be jealous
Yup :-bd
May you always have tail wind.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Ive just spoken with Sam and now got a bead on where the bivi spot is, and I reckon it might be about 4 miles from the Red Lion along the A4010. Which may prove interesting for a dozen over fed cyclists with two or three pints under their belts.

I'm meeting him up there on Sunday morning to do the firewood and other manly things, so will note the distances, but he says it might be a better bet to eat at the Swan at Great Kimble, which is a lot closer and Sam recommends. http://www.kimbleswan.co.uk/

Thoughts?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

benp1 wrote:Currently using it to sign up for every Black Friday offer on the face of the planet :shock: :-bd
I'm all black Friday-ed out on suspension arms from ECP :shock:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah happy to go with whatever here - Swan seems get reasonable reviews. Er, we probably need to get our rears in gear fairly pronto to book and order food though...

This is all verging closer and closer to glamping now chaps :wink: . Still, everyone else thinks we're right wimps now anyway so may as well go for broke! Princes Risborough Premier Inn anyone.....

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Good-o. I'll check out exactly where the place is (might take the kids to lunch at the Swan on Sunday and see if I can chat with the landlord) and work out whether the Red Lion is indeed further than we may care to cycle in the scary dark on a scary road with a load of scary bikers.

Glamping. Yes, it's getting close. What are the other Winter Bivvierists up to then? Ive not paid attention to their threads at all.

If we're serious about comfort, I was thinking we need a competition to see who can bring the most pointless item of excess and frippery. Im thinking cocktail shakers, not coffee makers. Im thinking lounge furniture and smoking jackets, tam-o-shanters and a meerschaum. I may bring my small yappy dog. She'd just about fit in my frame bag.

And someone needs to bring a proper camera. Without pictures, it didn't happen.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

If you guys can confirm the pub is a go-er i'll make a booking for us and will see if they want us to pre-order food. Will sort that too