Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by ScotRoutes »

K1100T wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:55 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:56 am In the meantime, does anyone know what events have been scheduled for September this year? I'm just trying to ascertain overlaps between a proposed Cairngorms Loop 300 group start and anything else.
ScotDURO was supposed to be on the 5th and 6th, dunno what's happening with that. The Dirty Reiver was rescheduled to the 19th, haven't heard anything to say that it's not going to go ahead on that date yet.
Cheers.
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:56 am I'm just trying to ascertain overlaps between a proposed Cairngorms Loop 300 group start and anything else.
A mate and me did a smaller diy Cairngorm loop from Braemar about 15 years ago and was my first introduction to bikepacking. In fact I have just remembered my BB Avatar is from that very trip :-)
Anyway, I am keen to have a go at the 300 loop and enjoyed your write-up.
I would be grateful if you could let me know of the dates and if there is any room for me to join ?
Thanks.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

K1100T wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:55 pm
ScotDURO was supposed to be on the 5th and 6th, dunno what's happening with that.
Anyone heard anything about that? Was planning to do it, and there seems to be no word of it being changed, but the TRC site doesn't seem to have been updated recently.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

If anyone is up to the task of keeping this up to date, let me know and I can make you a calendar admin. I've got some other stuff going on right now.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If anyone is up to the task of keeping this up to date, let me know and I can make you a calendar admin. I've got some other stuff going on right now.
I did wonder about taking it down today Zip. It's a fair old task to try and keep it anything like up to date given that there's so much happening these days.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Tell ya what, I'll throw the BearBones calendar dates into it, then internet calendar type people can use it, and that's something I can keep on top of quite easily!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Just added this to my Google Calendar... tip: if you download the .ics and import it, it just adds the existing events to your own calendar. If instead you click on the calendar link in the first post, and then click the + button in the bottom right, you can "subscribe" to it, which means it will appear as a different calendar within your own, and you can hide/show it as desired, make it a different colour to your hot tub parties/tai chi classes/homebrew schedule, and it will update when events are added.

I've just added an event for the Dales Divide and invited the email address. I guess it needs to be accepted to appear?

I'm happy to be added as an admin so I can chip in the odd event. If there's a few of us doing that it spreads the work out and we should cover most stuff.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:55 am I've just added an event for the Dales Divide and invited the email address. I guess it needs to be accepted to appear?
I've just subscribed and I can see it :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

So That's me, Wenchie and thenorthwind as calendar admin :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cool. Can you add the Cairngorms Loop Group Start please?

12th September. 10am. Glen Tilt car park. Contact steve@cairngormsloop.net.
Boab

Post by Boab »

The Dirty Reiver has been cancelled, entry roll over to next year by default.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:50 pm Cool. Can you add the Cairngorms Loop Group Start please?

Done. I'll get bored of this soon.

BTW Colin, I saw the nicely portioned up maps for printing on the new CL site (very handy), and tried to download them before someone from the OS comes and demands they're taken down, but I can't - when I enlarge them, trying to save the image just gives me a WEBP file to download. Are you involved with running the site? Apologies if not, I got the impression you were from the other thread.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:52 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:50 pm Cool. Can you add the Cairngorms Loop Group Start please?

Done. I'll get bored of this soon.

BTW Colin, I saw the nicely portioned up maps for printing on the new CL site (very handy), and tried to download them before someone from the OS comes and demands they're taken down, but I can't - when I enlarge them, trying to save the image just gives me a WEBP file to download. Are you involved with running the site? Apologies if not, I got the impression you were from the other thread.
Yeah - I'm helping Steve out for a while.

I see what you mean about the "paper" maps. I can get one a good size in a browser window and print it from there.
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

Webp image format was developed by Google as an alternative to jpg. Smaller file size for same quality image. I can open with Gwenview image viewer on Linux laptop. I think you can convert to .jpg, Google is your friend.
Dean

Post by Dean »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:52 pmBTW Colin, I saw the nicely portioned up maps for printing on the new CL site (very handy), and tried to download them before someone from the OS comes and demands they're taken down, but I can't - when I enlarge them, trying to save the image just gives me a WEBP file to download. Are you involved with running the site? Apologies if not, I got the impression you were from the other thread.
Left click on the image to zoom into the map in the lightbox, then right click and view image it gives you this link:

static.wixstatic.com/media/0f2666_ec01d19bf3c343ebaa26f9551074731c~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1064,h_752,al_c,q_90,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/0f2666_ec01d19bf3c343ebaa26f9551074731c~mv2.webp

Delete everything after where it says "mv2.jpg" and you will get the full size image. (This works for all Wix website images)
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

mikejd wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:15 pm Webp image format was developed by Google as an alternative to jpg. Smaller file size for same quality image. I can open with Gwenview image viewer on Linux laptop. I think you can convert to .jpg, Google is your friend.
Didn't know that! I just assumed the script was causing it to try and download some random part of the webpage - it hadn't occurred to me that Webp might actually be an image format.
Dean wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:26 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:52 pmBTW Colin, I saw the nicely portioned up maps for printing on the new CL site (very handy), and tried to download them before someone from the OS comes and demands they're taken down, but I can't - when I enlarge them, trying to save the image just gives me a WEBP file to download. Are you involved with running the site? Apologies if not, I got the impression you were from the other thread.
Left click on the image to zoom into the map in the lightbox, then right click and view image it gives you this link:

static.wixstatic.com/media/0f2666_ec01d19bf3c343ebaa26f9551074731c~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1064,h_752,al_c,q_90,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/0f2666_ec01d19bf3c343ebaa26f9551074731c~mv2.webp

Delete everything after where it says "mv2.jpg" and you will get the full size image. (This works for all Wix website images)
Cheers, I'll try that. Sounds like it's doing the Webp conversion from jpg on the fly then :roll: This is like BB standards all over again :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Had I may as well remove this now? To be honest, trying to keep up to date given the amount of events these days would be quite an undertaking for anyone. I also tend to feel that unless it's 'complete' then it's perhaps not of much use?
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Aye mebbe. I vaguely remember saying I would try and add events, and then promptly forgot all about it :oops: It would be quite a task these days.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Yeah, sorry I'm a bit hopeless these days....

I could perhaps keep the Bear Bones events up to date on it and then it's no bother for people to keep it on their list of calendars if they want and is still relevant that way?