Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

User avatar
ScotRoutes
Posts: 6551
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am
Location: Cairngorms
Contact:

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by ScotRoutes » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:09 pm

K1100T wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:55 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:56 am
In the meantime, does anyone know what events have been scheduled for September this year? I'm just trying to ascertain overlaps between a proposed Cairngorms Loop 300 group start and anything else.
ScotDURO was supposed to be on the 5th and 6th, dunno what's happening with that. The Dirty Reiver was rescheduled to the 19th, haven't heard anything to say that it's not going to go ahead on that date yet.
Cheers.

User avatar
stevewaters
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:23 am
Location: Dark Peak

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by stevewaters » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:37 pm

ScotRoutes wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:56 am
I'm just trying to ascertain overlaps between a proposed Cairngorms Loop 300 group start and anything else.
A mate and me did a smaller diy Cairngorm loop from Braemar about 15 years ago and was my first introduction to bikepacking. In fact I have just remembered my BB Avatar is from that very trip :-)
Anyway, I am keen to have a go at the 300 loop and enjoyed your write-up.
I would be grateful if you could let me know of the dates and if there is any room for me to join ?
Thanks.

User avatar
thenorthwind
Posts: 1233
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by thenorthwind » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:04 pm

K1100T wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:55 pm

ScotDURO was supposed to be on the 5th and 6th, dunno what's happening with that.
Anyone heard anything about that? Was planning to do it, and there seems to be no word of it being changed, but the TRC site doesn't seem to have been updated recently.

User avatar
Zippy
Posts: 2973
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by Zippy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:49 pm

If anyone is up to the task of keeping this up to date, let me know and I can make you a calendar admin. I've got some other stuff going on right now.

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 19680
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:05 pm

If anyone is up to the task of keeping this up to date, let me know and I can make you a calendar admin. I've got some other stuff going on right now.
I did wonder about taking it down today Zip. It's a fair old task to try and keep it anything like up to date given that there's so much happening these days.
What value a life half lived if the half you lived was the wrong half?

User avatar
Zippy
Posts: 2973
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by Zippy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:59 am

Tell ya what, I'll throw the BearBones calendar dates into it, then internet calendar type people can use it, and that's something I can keep on top of quite easily!

User avatar
thenorthwind
Posts: 1233
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by thenorthwind » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:55 am

Just added this to my Google Calendar... tip: if you download the .ics and import it, it just adds the existing events to your own calendar. If instead you click on the calendar link in the first post, and then click the + button in the bottom right, you can "subscribe" to it, which means it will appear as a different calendar within your own, and you can hide/show it as desired, make it a different colour to your hot tub parties/tai chi classes/homebrew schedule, and it will update when events are added.

I've just added an event for the Dales Divide and invited the email address. I guess it needs to be accepted to appear?

I'm happy to be added as an admin so I can chip in the odd event. If there's a few of us doing that it spreads the work out and we should cover most stuff.

User avatar
sean_iow
Posts: 3058
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by sean_iow » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:12 pm

thenorthwind wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:55 am
I've just added an event for the Dales Divide and invited the email address. I guess it needs to be accepted to appear?
I've just subscribed and I can see it :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger

User avatar
Zippy
Posts: 2973
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by Zippy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:33 pm

So That's me, Wenchie and thenorthwind as calendar admin :-bd

User avatar
ScotRoutes
Posts: 6551
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am
Location: Cairngorms
Contact:

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by ScotRoutes » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:50 pm

Cool. Can you add the Cairngorms Loop Group Start please?

12th September. 10am. Glen Tilt car park. Contact steve@cairngormsloop.net.

User avatar
K1100T
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Contact:

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by K1100T » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:06 pm

The Dirty Reiver has been cancelled, entry roll over to next year by default.
I like beer. 🍻

User avatar
thenorthwind
Posts: 1233
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by thenorthwind » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:52 pm

ScotRoutes wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:50 pm
Cool. Can you add the Cairngorms Loop Group Start please?

12th September. 10am. Glen Tilt car park. Contact steve@cairngormsloop.net.
Done. I'll get bored of this soon.

BTW Colin, I saw the nicely portioned up maps for printing on the new CL site (very handy), and tried to download them before someone from the OS comes and demands they're taken down, but I can't - when I enlarge them, trying to save the image just gives me a WEBP file to download. Are you involved with running the site? Apologies if not, I got the impression you were from the other thread.

User avatar
ScotRoutes
Posts: 6551
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am
Location: Cairngorms
Contact:

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by ScotRoutes » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:00 pm

thenorthwind wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:52 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:50 pm
Cool. Can you add the Cairngorms Loop Group Start please?

12th September. 10am. Glen Tilt car park. Contact steve@cairngormsloop.net.
Done. I'll get bored of this soon.

BTW Colin, I saw the nicely portioned up maps for printing on the new CL site (very handy), and tried to download them before someone from the OS comes and demands they're taken down, but I can't - when I enlarge them, trying to save the image just gives me a WEBP file to download. Are you involved with running the site? Apologies if not, I got the impression you were from the other thread.
Yeah - I'm helping Steve out for a while.

I see what you mean about the "paper" maps. I can get one a good size in a browser window and print it from there.

User avatar
mikejd
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:23 pm
Location: Rhynie, Aberdeenshire

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by mikejd » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:15 pm

Webp image format was developed by Google as an alternative to jpg. Smaller file size for same quality image. I can open with Gwenview image viewer on Linux laptop. I think you can convert to .jpg, Google is your friend.

Dean
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by Dean » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:26 pm

thenorthwind wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:52 pm
BTW Colin, I saw the nicely portioned up maps for printing on the new CL site (very handy), and tried to download them before someone from the OS comes and demands they're taken down, but I can't - when I enlarge them, trying to save the image just gives me a WEBP file to download. Are you involved with running the site? Apologies if not, I got the impression you were from the other thread.
Left click on the image to zoom into the map in the lightbox, then right click and view image it gives you this link:

static.wixstatic.com/media/0f2666_ec01d19bf3c343ebaa26f9551074731c~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1064,h_752,al_c,q_90,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/0f2666_ec01d19bf3c343ebaa26f9551074731c~mv2.webp

Delete everything after where it says "mv2.jpg" and you will get the full size image. (This works for all Wix website images)

User avatar
thenorthwind
Posts: 1233
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Bear Bones Bikepacking Events Calendar.

Post by thenorthwind » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:14 am

mikejd wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:15 pm
Webp image format was developed by Google as an alternative to jpg. Smaller file size for same quality image. I can open with Gwenview image viewer on Linux laptop. I think you can convert to .jpg, Google is your friend.
Didn't know that! I just assumed the script was causing it to try and download some random part of the webpage - it hadn't occurred to me that Webp might actually be an image format.
Dean wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:26 pm
thenorthwind wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:52 pm
BTW Colin, I saw the nicely portioned up maps for printing on the new CL site (very handy), and tried to download them before someone from the OS comes and demands they're taken down, but I can't - when I enlarge them, trying to save the image just gives me a WEBP file to download. Are you involved with running the site? Apologies if not, I got the impression you were from the other thread.
Left click on the image to zoom into the map in the lightbox, then right click and view image it gives you this link:

static.wixstatic.com/media/0f2666_ec01d19bf3c343ebaa26f9551074731c~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1064,h_752,al_c,q_90,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/0f2666_ec01d19bf3c343ebaa26f9551074731c~mv2.webp

Delete everything after where it says "mv2.jpg" and you will get the full size image. (This works for all Wix website images)
Cheers, I'll try that. Sounds like it's doing the Webp conversion from jpg on the fly then :roll: This is like BB standards all over again :lol:

Post Reply