Scotland SE Winter Bivi Dec 10/11.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Scotland SE Winter Bivi Dec 10/11.

Post by Ray Young »

Bit early but as the winter bivi has been aired already elsewhere. Sat/Sun 10/11 December.
Thinking Overpawhope Bothy which has loads of room, a fire and nearby wood supply. Start at Innerleithan and follow the Southern Upland Way, stop at Tibie Shiels Inn just over half way for a pint or two then carry on or just make your own way there.
Open to thoughts/suggestions.
jamiep

Re: Scotland SE Winter Bivi Dec 10/11.

Post by jamiep »

I will be attending whatever the route. Although I literally haven't been on my MTB since the last trip because I am a roadie now
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Id be tempted to head north east for this, I would need a little scotish hospitality as in a lift from the closest or easiest for who ever can assist train station to the start point and obviously and lift back to the train station at the end?

Scotland is by far one the best places to ride and camp in the UK, wales where I live also but Scotland for me is magic :grin:
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I should be attending Ray, I've warned the misses any birthday celebrations should be the weekend before so I can make this! As with Matt I will be travelling by train so I may have to join the Southern upland way at Galashiels and meet up with you guys on route. I quickly plotted it out and it'll be around 37 miles down to the bothy from Galashiels which is around the same as last year is it not? Might have a wee run down there in the next month or so as a bit of a recce so I know what the terrain's like before I do it in winter conditions.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

This is coming in at 25 miles, 15 to the pub leaving 10 after that.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

That does sound more appealing! Can't believe we're organising a winter bivvy in July!
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Count me in Ray :wink:
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Not convinced the Tibbie Shiels is ever open anymore (always closed when I've passed it), be worth checking.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

restlessnative wrote:Not convinced the Tibbie Shiels is ever open anymore (always closed when I've passed it), be worth checking.
Hi Shaun, I thought it opened evenings but I'll check it out.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

http://tibbieshiels.com/opening-hours/

Might not be up to date either mind

I actually rode that way from Minch Moor to Tibbie Shiels last week and carried on along some of the Borders 350 route down to Greensykes bothy for the night as part of a nice 4 night out break.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Much obliged for the info.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

So new plan is 25 miles and pack a couple of beers!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Blair512 wrote:So new plan is 25 miles and pack a couple of beers!
And whisky.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Agreed!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I'm tempted to come along to this again. There's a risk that Over Phawhope is packed though as it's really close to a road
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

AlasdairMc wrote:I'm tempted to come along to this again. There's a risk that Over Phawhope is packed though as it's really close to a road

I've never had a problem there before and the place seems to be looked after OK, no graffiti or signs of malicious damage. Are there likely to be party people there in the middle of December when it's freezing cold overnight? Have you got somewhere else in mind Alasdair?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Ray Young wrote:
AlasdairMc wrote:I'm tempted to come along to this again. There's a risk that Over Phawhope is packed though as it's really close to a road

I've never had a problem there before and the place seems to be looked after OK, no graffiti or signs of malicious damage. Are there likely to be party people there in the middle of December when it's freezing cold overnight? Have you got somewhere else in mind Alasdair?
Nowhere else in mind Ray - just a friend telling me he was made to feel very unwelcome there with another group in attendance already. It's a fair point about winter attendance though, why anyone would think about staying in a bothy during Christmas party season...

I was in Gameshope a couple of months ago and it was lovely, but unfortunately the lack of a stove makes it a non-starter for a winter bothy trip!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I'll think on it Alasdair, could maybe use one of the Borders Bothy Association locked ones like the time we used Fingland. I'll see if I can find their email address and look at what they have, they do expect a donation for use but your guaranteed to have the place to yourself.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Ray Young wrote:I'll think on it Alasdair, could maybe use one of the Borders Bothy Association locked ones like the time we used Fingland. I'll see if I can find their email address and look at what they have, they do expect a donation for use but your guaranteed to have the place to yourself.
It's funny you mentioned Fingland as I was considering proposing the same - but it's luxurious isn't it? There's a number listed on one of the UK Bothies forums.

I know someone who was in Will's Bothy recently as well - I didn't know it existed until I saw the photos
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I have got an address now so will get in touch with them.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Any further forward with this Ray? Starting to look forward to it now!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Blair, it's taken a bit of research but I now have an address and phone number for the Borders Bothies Association so will contact them later today. They keep themselves very low key and don't even have an email, web site or blog and I couldn't find the information I had from using them the last time. Will keep you posted.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Right then, sorry to say but Fingland and the other BBA Bothies are all booked for that week end.
We can stick with the original plan and use Over Pawhope and hope it's not heaving and take bivi gear in case it is or,
use Bunnies Bothy and take a different route from last year (every chance we will have it to ourselves) or,
use Gameshope but no fire and a stream crossing to get to it or
go somewhere else.

So what suggestions do you have?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ray Young wrote:Right then, sorry to say but Fingland and the other BBA Bothies are all booked for that week end.
We can stick with the original plan and use Over Pawhope and hope it's not heaving and take bivi gear in case it is or,
use Bunnies Bothy and take a different route from last year (every chance we will have it to ourselves) or,
use Gameshope but no fire and a stream crossing to get to it or
go somewhere else.

So what suggestions do you have?
A bit leftfield but I thought I'd throw it in, Cramond Island in the Firth of Forth. A tidal island that has WW2 buildings to doss in, plenty of drift wood, pub just by the causeway. Low tide 17.10 pm Saturday and 5.45 am Sunday, should have at least an 1 1/2 after low tide to cross. Meet central Edinburgh and ride in the Pentlands then head to Cramond.