Scotland SE Winter Bivi Dec 10/11.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AlasdairMc

Re: Scotland SE Winter Bivi Dec 10/11.

Post by AlasdairMc »

Ah, my mistake. I didn't zoom in closely enough. Gypsy Glen can be horrible when it's in any way soggy
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ray Young wrote:http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1370578762 Route gpx or email me at youngray50ATgmailDOTcom and i'll send it direct.
Link to GPSies (I hope), http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=ghfanrynoouspslc

I've tried ringing the Glen cafe to see if they will be open but no one is answering so i have emailed them. If they are not answering the phone it's looking unlikely.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Sorry folks but breakfast at the Glen cafe on Sunday morning is not now possible unless you want to wait until it opens...................on the 17 March next year!
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Hey Ray,
Iv just been given a place in the dark & white MBO series by the missus as a Christmas gift and the first event is 9am sunday the 11th dec!
Bless her, she doesn't know it clashes with this event.
So I am afraid I out of the winter bivvy and now of to this event instead.

Hopefully the spare space in the car will help someone else.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

MM-on-POINT wrote:Hey Ray,
Iv just been given a place in the dark & white MBO series by the missus as a Christmas gift and the first event is 9am sunday the 11th dec!
Bless her, she doesn't know it clashes with this event.
So I am afraid I out of the winter bivvy and now of to this event instead.

Hopefully the spare space in the car will help someone else.
Hi MMOP, thanks for letting me know, any one else want this space in the van?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

We definatly have the van, it is an emerald green VW with flower and butterfly stickers on it :shock: , not my cup of tea but at least you won't miss it. Meet at 11.30 on East Market Street, Edinburgh, which is just round the corner from Waverly Station.
Jamie, are you wanting a lift or still planning on cycling to the start?
In the van are me, Blair, Gari and probably Jamie, there is still a spare seat if anyone wants it.
Alisdair will meet us there.
Anyone else planning on turning up?
Probably not going to be able to do a coal drop but should be lots of wood nearby so it shouldn't take long to get enough for a fire with five of us looking.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

My plan is to ride in via Moffat, so I'll get a bag of logs there and carry them in. If anything changes I'll let you know in good time.

I haven't a clue when I'm going to arrive at the bothy as there are a couple of vague paths on my route, so it'll be a race of sorts between us...
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

^^^ Alasdair, I'm sure there will be plenty of wood to pick up as there have been a lot of logging operations in the area, is a couple of logs worth it for the distance your doing?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

if you're sure it's fine, I won't bother.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Hoping to join you for the trip. Would be coming in from Moffat also. Will know later in week as wife may be riding track league.
BaM 2021
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Alan63 wrote:Hoping to join you for the trip. Would be coming in from Moffat also. Will know later in week as wife may be riding track league.
Excellent, good to see new faces.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Sorry to mess you around Ray but I won't be able to make it now. Just tried to book the train and it's apparently a bus replacement for some of the journey and no guarantee of taking a bike!!!
Don't fancy getting stranded in Perth!
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Can you make it to Stirling Gari? I could probably pick you up there and give you a lift to Falkirk High where I'll be getting the train from if you like?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Gari - I have a wee trip scheduled for next weekend. It was originally going to be last weekend but it was postponed for a number of reasons. I never really thought to mention it on here owing to the previous dates.

Basically, there are three of us riding down from Grantown to Findhorn via the Dava Way for drinks/food at the Kimberley Inn, then we'll head along the coast towards Roseisle and camp/bivvy out somewhere in between. Return will be the same in reverse. Very easy pace. The other two are keen to get some overnighters in, practice loading and carrying gear, setting up in the dark etc.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Update. I had planned other things today but they got cancelled so the wife and I headed to Over Phawhope with a bag of coal which I stashed for next week. The bothy was the cleanest I have ever seen it and there was a big pile of logs in the entrance hall so we shouldn't freeze.
Leant against the wall outside was a Salsa Beargrease with bikepacking gear on it. The owner, Gav or was it Gary, had a fire going and was there for the night. He was from Glasgow and was spending a week touring the bothies in the area. Nice guy too, I invited him to our bash but said his partner had other plans for him. He said he'd heard of the Bearbones website and said he'd check it out.
Really looking forward to this now.
PS. If you want to bring some music of your choice be it on phone, mp3 or whatever feel free to bring it along as long as it has a 3.5mm jack socket.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Ray Young wrote:Update. I had planned other things today but they got cancelled so the wife and I headed to Over Phawhope with a bag of coal which I stashed for next week. The bothy was the cleanest I have ever seen it and there was a big pile of logs in the entrance hall so we shouldn't freeze.
Leant against the wall outside was a Salsa Beargrease with bikepacking gear on it. The owner, Gav or was it Gary, had a fire going and was there for the night. He was from Glasgow and was spending a week touring the bothies in the area. Nice guy too, I invited him to our bash but said his partner had other plans for him. He said he'd heard of the Bearbones website and said he'd check it out.
PS. If you want to bring some music of your choice be it on phone, mp3 or whatever feel free to bring it along as long as it has a 3.5mm jack socket.
Bravo that man! Thanks a lot for doing that.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Ray Young wrote:Update. I had planned other things today but they got cancelled so the wife and I headed to Over Phawhope with a bag of coal which I stashed for next week. The bothy was the cleanest I have ever seen it and there was a big pile of logs in the entrance hall so we shouldn't freeze.
Kudos Ray, looking forward to a toasty evening. Or at least hoping to be warmer than last year!
Gari

Post by Gari »

Colin, cheers for the offer, I could go for that. Are you setting off from Grantown? Where were you planning on the return, just out of interest?
I shall pm you later in the week re details
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Ray Young wrote:We definatly have the van, it is an emerald green VW with flower and butterfly stickers on it :shock: , not my cup of tea but at least you won't miss it. Meet at 11.30 on East Market Street, Edinburgh, which is just round the corner from Waverly Station.
Jamie, are you wanting a lift or still planning on cycling to the start?
Thank you Ray. I would really appreciate a lift there as I am unsure what I am getting myself into riding a Cross bike (with only 1*11). And then I have the option to ride home if the terrain is manageable (and it isn't too cold)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Gari wrote:Colin, cheers for the offer, I could go for that. Are you setting off from Grantown? Where were you planning on the return, just out of interest?
I shall pm you later in the week re details
I'm meeting the other guys in Grantown but haven't decided whether to drive or ride there yet. Return would be back up the Dava Way (I'd thought about SSW but it was turning into too long a ride). As I said, it's more about just getting in some overnighting experience.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

jamiep wrote:Thank you Ray. I would really appreciate a lift there as I am unsure what I am getting myself into riding a Cross bike (with only 1*11). And then I have the option to ride home if the terrain is manageable (and it isn't too cold)
OK Jamie, will meet you and Blair at 11.30.

Looks as though Gari won't be coming (was looking forward to meeting you again Gari) so still 2 places left in the van if anyone fancies it.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Went along to my first winter bivi. Thanks to Ray for organising and to Alasdair, Blair and Jamie for your company. Hopefully we can do it again some time.
BaM 2021
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

That was indeed a good trip. I like that bothy and will definitely be back. Same weekend next year?
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Thoroughly enjoyed myself despite moaning about the hills! Looking forward to next year already, remember to send me your details Ray and I'll send you some cash across for the van etc.