atk

Re: Peak 200 Group start 9 July

Post by atk »

Thanks. Peak 200andabit...!

Still 50/50 if I'll get to the group start
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ianfitz wrote:The final route - starting under the railway bridge in Edale - is here for download.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/9460470

there are many other versions of the Peak 200. It's probably best to delete them to avoid confusion.
You've been busy :-bd

Add me to the start list BTW. There'll be a lot of bridleways new to me to ride - just over half of it at a guess :grin:

As a visitor to the area, is there somewhere to leave a car long term? It's a long time since I parked up at Edale (High Peak Marathon in 2006) and I don't remember having much problem then but that was in winter time not summer.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:
ianfitz wrote:The final route - starting under the railway bridge in Edale - is here for download.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/9460470

there are many other versions of the Peak 200. It's probably best to delete them to avoid confusion.
You've been busy :-bd

Add me to the start list BTW. There'll be a lot of bridleways new to me to ride - just over half of it at a guess :grin:

As a visitor to the area, is there somewhere to leave a car long term? It's a long time since I parked up at Edale (High Peak Marathon in 2006) and I don't remember having much problem then but that was in winter time not summer.

Good point about parking. I'd go with the station overflow car park turn onto the village road and follow it left, pass the penny pot cafe go past the station and on to the gravel. If it is a very sunny day there is sometime a charge but usually free.

One slight unknown. Last time I was there it was shut! The path that links the A628 with the TPT. It was well signed though, if so use the road to the east which runs parallel. Its about 18 miles/30km in.
philipft

Post by philipft »

Ian, can you put me down for this pleeeaaaasseeee! Would love to do the group start, been meaning to do this route for ages
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Riders:

Mark
Bob
Phil
Karl
John
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Ian, the crossing over the A628 Woodhead Pass was exactly as the GPX no closures or diversions when I rode through the other week. Tricky navigation as to which track to take just before the road crossing. My advice would be to 'concentrate' between Cut Gate and the main road through the trees.

Paul
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

PaulB wrote:Ian, the crossing over the A628 Woodhead Pass was exactly as the GPX no closures or diversions when I rode through the other week. Tricky navigation as to which track to take just before the road crossing. My advice would be to 'concentrate' between Cut Gate and the main road through the trees.

Paul

Thanks Paul. They must have finished that work now. It did drag on a bit!

There are a few bits of the route where it not possible to draw the gpx accurately. I'll try to publish a trail recorded one soon.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

I'm in.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ianfitz wrote:Riders:

Mark
Bob
Phil
Karl
Paul
Last edited by ianfitz on Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No Ringo?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Javi

Post by Javi »

Just been awarded with 9th and 10th July off.
Ian, can you add me to the list?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ianfitz wrote:
ianfitz wrote:Riders:

Mark
Bob
Phil
Karl
Paul
Javi
Karl

Post by Karl »

I'm away in Geneva now. Sorry. Good luck to everyone. Just to lay the gaulet me and my mate Pete Gretton set a time of 18hr 12 mins on this route about 8 weeks ago. I recon 16 hrs is unachievable. Go get it guys!
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Sorry folks I've got to bail out.

We've got ourselves over subscribed with stuff to do for hathersage gala. Going to be spending tomorrow constructing a float to drag 15 toddlers around the village instead. :sad:

Have a good one.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Forecast is a bit hit and miss for tomorrow. I'm getting on the 9.20 train from dore so will be there about 10 to 10. Am not feeling too sprightly, so will set off and see how I get on-may do half of it and then peel off home.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Forgot to say. Will be there for the start/ ride out though.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Should be there by about 9am. The weather is looking *slightly* better than earlier forecasts. Let's hope it keeps improving.

Just going to go steadily and see how far I get by nightfall and finish off in the morning.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

See you both in the morning then. Fingers crossed for a continuing improvement in the weather!
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Bob, Javi and I were seen off by Paul at 10.02 this morning in the hammering rain. We rode pretty much together until the top of cut gate, where Javi pulled away. I rode down to Langsett and then headed for home as I had other commitments in the afternoon. The other two carried on.the weather has since cheered up so hopefully they'll have an enjoyable ride.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Caught Javi up at Mt Famine. Ridden together since then. At Herdlow (sp?) in pub for food!
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Hope it's dried out a bit this evening Bob. Been pretty windy here, so hope it isn't too hard going. Good to catch up with you earlier.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Just been for a quick spin and have bumped into both riders.
Javi was looking strong as we flew past each other in bamford about 25 k from the end.
Great to ride with you for a bit Bob. I hope you recover/rehydrate quickly.

It's a tough ride particularly this weekend.

Good effort.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Got home and sat in bath with beer :-bd

My GPS "lost" its maps dropping off Stanage Causeway and it was an area I'd not been in before so I ended up missing out the Rivelin Loop but by the time I met Paul on the Derwent dam I was on my last legs anyway and since I didn't know the section from Bamford services round to Castleton I decided that at the top of The Beast I'd head down the Roman road then back along the road to Edale so I didn't complete the whole route.

Two words sum up the route this weekend: mud and wind.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Hi Bob! Great riding with you. Such bad luck these garmins are not tough enough.

I arrived at 11:32am feeling very good. Had some last hour navigational problems and got delayed towards the end. Staff at the Oenny pot cafe in Edale passed your words, Ian. Thanks! I arrived 10 minutes after you left.
The sleeping monsters came at 3am before Stanage and had a 45 minutes power nap under a tree, still with helmet and camelback on haha!
Now oj my way to see if I find the Etrex20 I lost after Gratton dale yesterday, meeh!

Great route but the weather disn't help much.

It was you, Paul, who said hello as we crossed each other? I didn't recognize you.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Top work Javi, :-bd

Would have stopped to ride with you for a bit but I was trying to get to Edale to see you all in,
but I had to leave not long before you got back.