Peak 200 Group start 9 July

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Peak 200 Group start 9 July

Post by ianfitz »

Steve's recent ride has spurred me in to action, I have tidied up the GPX as it was a bit vague in places and made, what I hope will be, the final amendments to the route.

The changes are due to the upgrading of several local tracks from footpath to bridleway status. Its been a gradual (and lengthy!) process to get that sorted but the route now takes in Curbar/Frogatt edges, Totley Moor, Burbage Valley and the short section of purpose built trail at Lady Cannings - a few years ago non of these were, erm, officially accessible by bike.

Ride Sheffield, an MTB advocacy group, have worked really hard with the landowners to make it happen and I was keen to make sure the route uses the trails, the natural ones aren't particularly techy, but they take you to some of my favourite places.

There is a few other tweak to the route too, mainly as I think they are improvements:

through castleton and up the broken road,
a 'better' descent to the Edale valley,
reinstating the link to the TPT at Thurlston Moor, after cut gate - assuming that it finished now, I've not been over that way for a while. If not use the A616 instead
a change to the route over Shatton to include a bit of single track,
a different route on the other side of monks dale, avoids the cow-sub standard farm and muddy push up to Wormhill
then the 'upgrades' as described above.

The group start will be from Edale village at 10am. I will be there but how much I ride will depend on how I'm feeling after the HT550. It would be good to see a bigger turnout than last year - just mje and I. Also remember that no one has ever finished from a group start! Kudos awaits the victor :-bd

I'll get the GPX on the website, well hopefully Composite will as I haven't a clue, but if anyone wants it in the meantime PM me your email address.
cyclingtiger

Re: Peak 200 Group start 9 July

Post by cyclingtiger »

I'm going to stick my name down for this as it'll give me something definite to work towards.

I did redo the gps file as the old one seemed to make my Gaming chew through battery as it had to do a lot of calculating to stick a line on the right part of the map. I'll PM you for the new file and see if it works.
Last edited by cyclingtiger on Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atk

Post by atk »

Tentative interest here too. Will depend on legs after riding the weekend before.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ohhh, I'll just miss this as I fly back from the USA on the 8th.

May ITT it later in the summer - or sooner - maybe sooner.
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

I am tempted by a sooner running. If you were to start just before sunrise on the solstice I reckon it would be doable to get round the whole route in daylight.
atk

Post by atk »

You're not planning to be round in 11 hours...?! :p

If the 9th doesn't work out, later in the month/early August might work for an solo go...
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

There's a few more than 11 hours daylight on the solstice. You could kick off about 4am and still have usable light around 10pm.
atk

Post by atk »

cyclingtiger wrote:There's a few more than 11 hours daylight on the solstice. You could kick off about 4am and still have usable light around 10pm.
11 hours if you start on the 9th at 10am :) Phil Simcock did make it round the BB200 a few years ago in ~13 hours...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Pretty sure Phil is no longer classed as human ;)
slarge

Post by slarge »

I would be up for this but the Monster Sportive down in South Wales is that day. Maybe later in July......
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Really looking forward to this as, I am slightly ashamed to confess, I have never ridden the Peak District before.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Really looking forward to this as, I am slightly ashamed to confess, I have never ridden the Peak District before.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Well, maybe not Gratton Dale, but the rest is good ;-)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

The current, hopefully final, version of the route is here for download - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13317075

will confirm the final version to people confirmed for the group start the week before.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Been umming and arring about this for a few days (must be really irritating for people around me). Please can you put me down for the group start Ian, thank you. Hopefully trails will be super dry then I can be back in time for tea:-)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just noticed this thread. I'm up for this - I should have recovered from the YD300 two weeks earlier :oops:

I notice that the GPS track starts from Ringinglow not Edale.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Looking forward to this, assuming i dont give up cycling after the YD300.

also it's the same weekend as the Hathersage gala so you could roll down the hill to the beer tent after.........if your quick!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:Just noticed this thread. I'm up for this - I should have recovered from the YD300 two weeks earlier :oops:

I notice that the GPS track starts from Ringinglow not Edale.
That just because that's where I started when I road it. The group start will be from edale
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

OK, will have to figure out how to follow a track from part way along it and finish back at the new starting point :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I maybe kind and send out a gpx that starts at edale to folks nearer the time

In the meantime you can edit quite on Bikehike (or similar) to start wherever you want.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I'm looking forward to this-hopefully it will dry out again and we'll get a finisher from a group start!
burty

Post by burty »

can you send me the up to date route ian .
I have done the top loops and the bottom one as day rides but not the whole lot in one , and I think it was the first draft of the route.
I should be up for the group start as well if things go to plan.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ianfitz wrote: I'll get the GPX on the website, well hopefully Composite will as I haven't a clue, but if anyone wants it in the meantime PM me your email address.
The website http://www.selfsupporteduk.net/routes/Peak200.html
Is still showing 2015 on the GPX.
Will the new one be going up any time soon please?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

JohnClimber wrote:
ianfitz wrote: I'll get the GPX on the website, well hopefully Composite will as I haven't a clue, but if anyone wants it in the meantime PM me your email address.
The website http://www.selfsupporteduk.net/routes/Peak200.html
Is still showing 2015 on the GPX.
Will the new one be going up any time soon please?

Will sort out an 'official and tidy' gpx tomorrow.

I've managed to double book myself. Yes. For my own group start. I know...

Mark Evans, veteran of this years highland trail will be the official starter. For the group start you will start and finish under the railway bridge.

And have lots of really vaguely exciting fun. Good trails and sun.

Can we post up a list of starters on this thread please. There will be nothing else official in any way.

Post here when you are done too. Ta.
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

Alas I've discovered I too am double booked for this one. I'll be supporting a polo tournament at Cliffhanger that weekend. Will have to give this a crack some other time.

If any riders fancy some drunken, sweary silliness on Sunday then feel free to head into Sheffield and come to Shoreham Street. About that time only the good people will be left playing and it can be good spectator sport.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

The final route - starting under the railway bridge in Edale - is here for download.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/9460470

there are many other versions of the Peak 200. It's probably best to delete them to avoid confusion.