Borders 350, 2016, Sat 2 July.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Borders 350, 2016, Sat 2 July.

Post by Ray Young »

Borders 350, 2016, Sat 2 July, 8am group start. Max 50 riders, registration open 1 March 2016.

A bit early I know but I thought I'd put it up after adding the date to HopeValleyPauls's thread on 2016 ITT date's.

I have had a long hard think about the route regarding the double ascent of Dollar Law and it broke my heart to take it out so it's going back in, ie, back to the original route. I will however re ride the vague tracks so i can get a proper gpx of the best lines to follow.

When I planned this route I deliberately chose to make it remote with few re-supply points. The reasoning behind this was so that entrants would have to think very carefully about their re-fueling strategy. Go light and risk failure (like I did) or carry a days worth of food so you know you aren't going to run out, the choice is yours.

I have read many times that ITT's of this type test your psychology just as much as your fitness, it is for this reason that I have included the two items above.

On a more positive note an 8am start at that time of year will give 14 hours of daylight on the first day followed by 17hours 20minutes of daylight on the following days.
I will include the location of Gameshope bothy which may be of use on the first day even though it is 1 1/2 miles off route.
Thanks.
ianfitz

Re: Borders 350, 2016, Sat 2 July.

Post by ianfitz »

Id like a rematch but not sure if I'll be able to make it that soon after the HT550.

I can email you my gpx tracks if that would help. Not sure that I ride on many of the tracks tbh. We found more of the trods on the return leg though
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Ian , no, it's OK. As I have said before when I have previously ridden this area I did not have a gps so the route came off an OS map. Only riding it on the day with a gps did I realise the marked route and existing paths do not coincide. I will spend some time riding the area to get the best lines. Thanks for the offer though.
Last edited by Ray Young on Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Sorry Ray will have just finished the Navad 1000 so I'm oot. I may do it as an ITT earlier in the year although I'm in no hurry to do the thieves road again :lol:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I was just looking at my GPX data from the ride this year. It is a tough old route you've created Ray.

Day 1 118km/3000m

we thought that riding through Moffat and onto Over Phawthope would be 'easily' achievable today. rode from 8am-1am and bivied in the mist and damp grass just on the edge of the devils beeftub.

Day 2 198km/3800m

rode 8-1.30am A late start as the coop in moffat doesn't open super early. We could have been earlier though and did stop for a cooked breakfast! Although that was the last hot meal I had in the ride...
Rode past OP bothy at noon and then past greensykes bothy at 4pm. After I left Mark jut before OP bothy I only saw two people riding touring bikes and some kids playing football in newcastleton all day - on a bank holiday! Passed Spithope bothy at about midnight and could hear merry-making from the main track so rode on to the Lamb hill 'emergancy bothy' could fit two in here but its not a large building, the roman camp was atmospheric in the moonlight.

Day 3

7am start and took 3:30 to kirk yetholm - 15 miles! realised shortly after this that my both USB batteries were flat. No way to run my Garmin 800 with out. the average speed had been too slow to top them up. ababdoned at about noon in wooler (have since bought an etrex). realised that at lunchtime on day three there was still 180km/400m to ride! Based on the variety of terrain in the early part of the route (and my average speed over it) I thought this could take anywhere between 14 and 26 hours of riding. trundled the 100km back to peebles on mainly quiet roads.

In terms of re-supply we hit the broughton shop fine, small but has some nice bits (shuts at 6) missed Moffat by hours, then I seemed to be 30mins after closing time at newcastleton and kielder, although could have got away a bit earlier/quicker on day 2. Wooler Coop is a fair size and well stocked.

It is a beast of a route, which takes in a great blend of stunning views, fantastic riding, and some full on type 2 hike-a-bike! It travels thorough some remote (for the UK) ground and does require a significant degree of commitment. completing under 4 days would be a solid achievement
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Ian, thanks for that, I agree with everything you have said. I wanted a challenge and by God I got it. Next time I try I am planning on five or six days with no expectations of daily mileage and carrying plenty of food even if it means carrying it all day.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ray Young wrote:I have had a long hard think about the route regarding the double ascent of Dollar Law and it broke my heart to take it out so it's going back in, ie, back to the original route. I will however re ride the vague tracks so i can get a proper gpx of the best lines to follow.
I have been racking my brains trying to get a route around this section which I like that includes both Dollar Law and the Thief's Road without the double ascent and I think I may have found it. Looking at satellite imagery this morning I found a track to the west of Broughton that is not marked on my OS maps which I think I can use so I am going to investigate it at some point. It should make Moffat achievable on the first night by firstly doing away with the second ascent of Dollar Law after passing through Broughton, secondly by doing away with the road ascent between Megget and Talla reservoirs and lastly by reducing overall mileage.
The second ascent of Dollar Law was only put into the original route so as to avoid several miles on the A701 which I found to be dangerous on a bike due to it's narrowness and fast moving traffic including HGV's one off which nearly ran me over on an early trial run due to his reluctance to slow down on seeing me ahead. A car coming round a corner from the other direction forced him over towards me, the only place I could go was the grass verge! Bastard!
Anyway, here's hoping :-bd .
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Sounds promising. Fingers crossed.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

From Ian's comments this sounds like 350 miles not 350km?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

padonbike wrote:From Ian's comments this sounds like 350 miles not 350km?
Miles. Yes.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks like a plan Ray. Many moons ago we did the single track from Tweedsmuir over to Kingledoors burn and its was OK I recall - may be a bit underused now. If the the marked single track from Glencotho farm to Kingledoors goes then that would make a good route from broughton. I take it the missing bit is between Kilbucho and Glencotho?

It occurs to me that another option from Broughton to Tweedsmuir is to go to Drumelzier on the current route and then go down the east side of the tweed. Looks like a route all the way if you can get through / round a couple of farms
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

htrider wrote:Looks like a plan Ray. Many moons ago we did the single track from Tweedsmuir over to Kingledoors burn and its was OK I recall - may be a bit underused now. If the the marked single track from Glencotho farm to Kingledoors goes then that would make a good route from broughton. I take it the missing bit is between Kilbucho and Glencotho?
That's what I am looking at. I had ignored it previously as the singletrack marked on maps looks sketchy on satellite but i'm glad to hear you have ridden some of it.
htrider wrote:It occurs to me that another option from Broughton to Tweedsmuir is to go to Drumelzier on the current route and then go down the east side of the tweed. Looks like a route all the way if you can get through / round a couple of farms
I have looked at this too but there is one farm that has no track past it. It could still be used with a bit of riding on the A701.

I'll have to get away for a couple of days to explore the possibilities.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ha ha, I may have cracked this. Using half the possible route to the west and half the possible route down the River Tweed I can avoid the farm that has no track past it. I know Scottish access laws say I can go past it but I want to avoid any chance of confrontation especially if there are a lot of riders. Just need to get out there and ride it now.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Nice one Ray. I was planning to explore round there next weekend.
Happy new year by the way. All the best for 2016.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Is there a general map/gpx Ray? Fairly local for me potentially.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

boxelder wrote:Is there a general map/gpx Ray? Fairly local for me potentially.
I'll get back to you on that one shortly, thanks.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Applications are now open for the Borders 350 ITT 2016 group start. Max 50 entrants. Please only apply if you definitely intend to ride. If you get a place then decide to drop out then let me know ASAP so I can give the place to someone else. I am going to open a Facebook Group page for the event this year to widen the net for potential riders and will post a link here and on Facebook Bike and Bivi. The route is slightly shorter this year, 335 miles. This is due to a route change to make day one easier so as to make Moffat reachable before the take aways, shops etc shut for the evening. All the usual ITT rules apply.

Ian Fitz of this parish has described the route thus. "It is a beast of a route, which takes in a great blend of stunning views, fantastic riding, and some full on type 2 hike-a-bike! It travels through some remote (for the UK) ground and does require a significant degree of commitment. Completing under 4 days would be a solid achievement".

If you want to apply for the group start then email me at borders350ittATgmailDOTcom with your full name and I will get back to you with the gpx download.
If you just want the gpx download then email me at youngray50ATgmailDOTcom

Alternatively download the route gpx yourself from here -
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/998951903
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/998952045
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/998952149
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Nice one Ray! How much quicker do you think the route will be to get to Moffat? There's still a fair bit of riding to get there...

glad to see a left turn before the section past dead wifes grave. that part was slow going!

Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ianfitz wrote:Nice one Ray! How much quicker do you think the route will be to get to Moffat?
Hi Ian, much quicker. 12 miles shorter, no double ascent of Dollar Law, no road climb to Talla Linfoots, minimal Thieves Road. Last years second ascent of Dollar Law from Drumelzier is now the descent off the top to pick up the Broughton Loop. :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ray Young wrote:
ianfitz wrote:Nice one Ray! How much quicker do you think the route will be to get to Moffat?
Hi Ian, much quicker. 12 miles shorter, no double ascent of Dollar Law, no road climb to Talla Linfoots, minimal Thieves Road. Last years second ascent of Dollar Law from Drumelzier is now the descent off the top to pick up the Broughton Loop. :-bd
ahh, that should make a bit of difference then! Is the rest as it was?

I enjoyed it all but the section between moffat and wooler is great. So remote, I only saw 4 people all day :-bd

Would like to ride the rest of the route, but doubt I'll be up for the group start this year as that soon after the HT550 I'm not sure if I would want to look at a bike let alone head out for a ride that long :cool:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

[quote="ianfitz"] Is the rest as it was?

I enjoyed it all but the section between moffat and wooler is great. So remote, I only saw 4 people all day :-bd
[quote]

Yes, the rest remains the same.

I'm planning an individual attempt at the end of April, got five days to play with. I will be doing the group start again as well.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I have now set up a facebook group for this event. Search Borders 350 ITT and request to join if your interested. Thanks.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

List of starters-

Stewart Barrie.............yes, just one and he might be starting on Sunday instead of Saturday. I can't go due to a family members ill health but that can't be helped. So, anyone else want to do it at short notice?
Last edited by Ray Young on Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Not me I'm afraid, got work commitments on the Monday and Tuesday plus I'll likely still be wrecked after the YD300. Come August I'll be looking to have a go
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I'll be off on my holidays. :grin:
Will have a go late July or early August.