Cairngorm loop May B/H

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Cairngorm loop May B/H

Post by ianfitz »

I'm heading up for the group start and wondered if anyone else is. I see Ian, Richpips and Dave K on the start list. Anyone else? Often a bit confusing when people have their actual name and an internet name...

I won't have the car for that weekend so am looking for a lift. Happy to share driving and obviously costs. Also happy to book a train but car share wouldn't good if anyone's heading that way
AlasdairMc

Re: Cairngorm loop May B/H

Post by AlasdairMc »

I'm in too.

I can't offer a lift unfortunately as I'm driving up with someone else. Last year I took the train up and it was deserted, arriving in Blair at 8:57 so in good time.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

AlasdairMc wrote:I'm in too.

I can't offer a lift unfortunately as I'm driving up with someone else. Last year I took the train up and it was deserted, arriving in Blair at 8:57 so in good time.
Train rides are always good :-) do you know if there is an alternative to the seamingly pricey castle campsite at Blair athol?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's always "indoor" accommodation.

I can recommend http://www.dalgreineguesthouse.co.uk/
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ianfitz wrote:
AlasdairMc wrote:I'm in too.

Train rides are always good :-) do you know if there is an alternative to the seamingly pricey castle campsite at Blair athol?
The train station waiting room has been used by me after I finished an ITT in 2012, Ian B went under the tourist info canopy last year, or the alternative for a proper sleep is perhaps somewhere in Pitlochry and get the train one stop the following day? Or just bivi anywhere outside Blair Atholl itself, perhaps the woods up near the car park at the start?
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I am hoping to go from Somerset, but only if the forecast is reasonable - too far to drive for 2 days of misery!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I think that now I'll be driving up to Appleby with the family, dropping them off on the Norton Wheelers May weekender then driving up solo. happy to collect or meet up/car pool with folk from cumbria onwards.

there will theoretically be space in the car from Sheffield but I'm not sure I'd want to inflict the kids on people!

Would be happy to give a lift back south, anyone who can talk nonsense and/or prod me awake would be a welcome passenger :grin:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I'll be there.

Wife will be along to poke fun at me afterwards and hopefully feed me cake.

Any plans for a pre-ride beer the night before?
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

I'll definitely be up for a beer on Friday evening. I'm thinking of staying in Pitlochry at the youth hostel so how about somewhere there?
If the weather is nice I might go to the trails at Comrie Croft (near Crieff) on my way up on Friday afternoon.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

that could work Alan. It'll depend on traffic up from Manchester so I'll pop you a text message en route.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I'd be keen for a drink the night before but fear that I'll not be up there until later on in the evening.

Do you happen to know if there is anywhere open early for breakfast in either pitlochary or blair athol?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

More than welcome to meet at my tent for breakfast :)
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

Where are you camping?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Are we having a 10am start this year or earlier like last year? That will influence your breakfast choice in Blair Athol. In Pitlochry there will be a few places open early, perhaps even Greggs for the full carb loading...
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

I am going up for the 2nd. have not decided how I am getting there. its a good opportunity to book either my or my better halfs car in for a service, without disrupting work. I will figuire it out monday. so I may be able to offer a lift up from edinburgh. I will update on monday evening.

no.5 on the start list probably last round! looking forward to two days of pedaling, hopefully in decent weather.

chris campbell.
flat_4

Post by flat_4 »

I'm driving up from the Newbury area on Friday, staying at the backpackers hostel in Pitlochry on Friday night. Had also booked there in Sunday night but then it dawned on me I might not be back in time... :???:

Happy to share a lift if anyone else is coming up from this way?

John Russell
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

GregMay wrote:More than welcome to meet at my tent for breakfast :)
That's a kind offer. Where will you be camping? I may put up a tent on Sunday if back in time to make it worth while...
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

There is a lot of rain forecast for the next week. Are there any river crossings that are likely to become particularly dangerous?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:There is a lot of rain forecast for the next week. Are there any river crossings that are likely to become particularly dangerous?
My friend and I binned a social August attempt after the Geldie went into spate after a night of very heavy rain. We had slept in the ruined cottage (ignore the "unsafe structure" sign at your own peril) and woke up to the gentle stream of the Geldie Burn being a raging torrent. Crossing would probably be possible upstream in Glen Feshie, or even downstream somewhere but with some trackless wandering back.

We rode out to Feshiebridge but decided against the outer loop as I'd hate to return there late on and be faced with crossing that torrent.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Does anyone know if there was much snow to come down on the route?
AlanG wrote:Where are you camping?
We're going to stay in the campsite in Blair Athol. Pauline is coming up too so she's going to do some road rides from there, some runs too.

ianfitz wrote: I may put up a tent on Sunday if back in time to make it worth while...
We're going to be staying around, probably head to the local after I get back and have a shower. I have no intention of riding on the Monday :)
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I'm not going to be there. The finance dept.says no to two Scottish trips in the same month.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

GregMay wrote:Does anyone know if there was much snow to come down on the route?
AlanG wrote:Where are you camping?
We're going to stay in the campsite in Blair Athol. Pauline is coming up too so she's going to do some road rides from there, some runs too.

ianfitz wrote: I may put up a tent on Sunday if back in time to make it worth while...
We're going to be staying around, probably head to the local after I get back and have a shower. I have no intention of riding on the Monday :)

What! a rest day! outrageous :wink:

in terms of snow, there is a group on FB called something like 'ground conditions in UK mountain areas' I will ask on there and re-post any answers. Although I'm sure there are some local peeps on here too...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

View from my window this morning

Cold conditions and further snow showers are expected through this week. The ski season ends next Monday, though there's still significant amounts up there.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

some photos here - https://www.facebook.com/gary.hodgson.5 ... 1578205698

looks like sumer snow to me....

:???:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:There is a lot of rain forecast for the next week. Are there any river crossings that are likely to become particularly dangerous?
Erm I counted 13 when I did it last August 2 weeks after hurricane bertha. They were varyingly dodgy but doable a fortnight previous = no chance. Fords of Avon is the crux but its not too bad a retreat to Aviemore. The geldie can be uncrossable too which means to get back to Blair Atholl you'll have to backtrack to Braemar then grind up the Glenshee road

http://apps.sepa.org.uk/waterlevels/default.aspx

SEPA site gives a good idea - Not looking to bad at the mo so fingers crossed for you all!