Cairngorm loop May B/H

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ZeroDarkBivi

Re: Cairngorm loop May B/H

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Many thanks for the met ground truth! Could be a showstopper for me given the travel involved...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Hmmm... ok. I think we will probably travel up. But bring running/walking kit with us as well.

Will make a call when I get up there.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I think if it's looking horrible we could abandon the full route and do a hybrid inner/outer. I'm going to dress for late winter and make a decision on the day. Fords of Avon is my first concern, although if that's bad I'd consider retreat to Ryvoan and then outer loop to Braemar, pray for the Geldie to be down and bin it down Glen Tilt.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Not a bad idea as a bail out.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Mind it snowed when Aiden Harding did his 22 hour time! :wink:
I'll be hopefully doing some bikepacking around the cairngorms so if you see a Surly Ice Cream truck it'll be me. If its looking snowy then grab yer fatbikes guys. I did the CL on mine last august in 35 hours...
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I am actually in two minds about bringing my fat bike up. I think I'll stick with my Stooge unless the weather gets significantly worse over the next few days. If anything the big tyres will give me some flotation for the river crossings...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Would it be handy if I posted some updates as the week progresses?
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yes please :-bd
flat_4

Post by flat_4 »

I'm out. Been ill since Saturday (which rather buggered up Liege-Bastogne-Liege as well), hoped it would clear up but no such luck.

Gutted. :sad:

Hope everyone that goes has a safe and enjoyable ride.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Had a nice evening chat with my wife over concerns with rivers and snow levels. Her words "If it gets crap just turn around and ride down, or back" .

So, I'm going to throw in a pair of Primaloft trousers and stick to it. As Steves email says, if it's bad, outer loop TT. At least riding SS my derauilers can't freeze :)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

MWIS forecast for saturday:

Wind - Southeasterly, 15mph freshening through day toward 30mph, but by evening, increasing risk 40 or later 50mph. Small Starting small, but walking becoming
impeded, and late in day risk widely difficult.

How wet? - Very likely to remain dry all day. Risk overnight into Sunday, of heavy snow setting in across the region (rain only lowest slopes)

Cloud - Rare fragments of cloud on higher areas, but most summits often free of cloud. 80% chance of cloud free summits

How cold? - -3C at 900m freezing level 700m; but risk frost in many glens at dawn.

30-50mph wind is worth -8/10c in wind chill.

the Norwegians are forecasting lighter winds than that, MWIS tend to be pessimistic in my experience. Looking at the met office preasure charts (as a retired surfer) I'd say there is a high chance of 'brisk' east south easterlies from later on saturday and into sunday. There is a front that looks likely to produce some wet stuff during that time too.

worth looking at tomorrows forecasts and charts to see if there's any shift...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Todays update from the Northern Cairngorms:
Snow level receding
Still cold
Thunder showers brought some significant sharp bursts of rain AND HAIL!!

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yeah been following various forecasts and its looking OK for Sat and bit ropy Sunday. Highest point on the route is only 800m and river levels still looking OK so you'll all be fine!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ianfitz wrote: a high chance of 'brisk' east south easterlies from later on saturday and into sunday.
Perfect timing for riding through Upper Glen Feshie, not so perfect for Abernethy...
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Is there a trackleaders linky for us voyeurs?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

boxelder wrote:Is there a trackleaders linky for us voyeurs?

I don't think so
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cairngorm Mountain have just posted that there's been 3" of fresh snow overnight.

Still nothing at lower levels but Bynack Mor should be interesting.

Oh - a post-ride update on the state of the track between Dorback Lodge and Tomintoul would be appreciated. TIA.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

After much agonising over a decision I'm out.

logistics in getting there were never ideal to begin with and I think ground and weather conditions will make it a different challenge from what I was hoping for. I'm up in Scotland at the end of the month half term holiday and will hope for more favourable conditions for an ITT.

Also it means I get to spend the bank holiday weekend away with the family which will be great (and add up to valuable brownie points!) there is an alternative plan for adventure over the next few days.... :wink:

Best of luck to those who are man and woman enough to toe the start line on Saturday. Enjoy it and ride safe :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Right, I've re-packed the bike, added in some extra warm bits and some more food.

Ready to roll.
Gari

Post by Gari »

It's been pretty cold here overnight but around 10 ish during the daytime. Just been for a ride and both the Tromie and Feshie are fairly low so I don't envisage any issues with river Xings. Today it has been a little showery bit no
rain to speak of. Good luck all, I shall keep my eyes open for likely looking candidates around the village.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

New record from Phil Simcock - 21:38. Awful conditions, a lot of bailouts and curtailments (myself included).

I did the inner loop to the Geldie and dropped down Glen Tilt, getting 92 miles and 13:24 of riding done. Several riders did the outer loop joining it at Ryvoan, avoiding the horrible snowy mess that was Bynack Mor and the Lairig an Laoigh...
Javi

Post by Javi »

Wooww!! Big effort with this bad weather
I'vr just arrived to Blair Athol to meet the riders but it is a bit late.
Anyone about to arrive? Where's starting/finishing point? I'm at the tourist info car park.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Finish is the big clock at the station is it not?
flat_4

Post by flat_4 »

Wow! That's some time, especially considering the conditions! I assume he completed the full course as per Aiden's original record?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Yep, finish is at the station clock. I don't know who is still out on the course.