Lakes (Ulpha/Eskdale/Wasdale/Wast Water) GPX routes?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

McGroo

Lakes (Ulpha/Eskdale/Wasdale/Wast Water) GPX routes?

Post by McGroo »

Hi, Just registered (been lurking on and off for a month or so) so thought I'd better pipe up. I ride regularly with a couple of bearbones guys, main stomping ground is off piste on Cannock Chase but we've had several trips to North Wales and the Lakes though only single days, I haven't been on one of their bivvy rides yet.

I'm on the scrounge for info (and thought the magazine forums are too concerned with wheel sizes to talk about riding), it's early days but I've got a family holiday booked in the Lakes, based at Ulpha and will be joined by a group of mates one of the days for a ride.

I'm looking to put a 20-25 mile loop together from Ulpha, up and around Wast Water, trying to stay off tarmac as much as possible and was wondering if any of you guys had any gpx files that I could look at and nick parts of to create my route?

Anything would be appreciated, thanks in advance :-bd
ianfitz

Re: Lakes (Ulpha/Eskdale/Wasdale/Wast Water) GPX routes?

Post by ianfitz »

I spend quite a bit of time in that valley :-)

Avoid the west end of the BW past devoke water. It is quite 'welsh' in character.

There's some good riding towards Stevenson ground and on to the walna scar road. It will be muddy in places though. Some forestry tracks heading up the side of harter fell from birks bridge that take you down in to eskdale.

I can email you a gpx of a roughly 20miler I've done if that would help?
McGroo

Post by McGroo »

Thanks for the feedback ianfitz, you've got mail.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Found our lurking place then Stu :shock: :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
McGroo

Post by McGroo »

Yes Mart, you've shortened your name but the avatar gave it away. Rookie mistake :grin:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Routes from Ulpha to Wasdale are a bit limited and would involve a fair amount of tarmac, mud and hike a bike (which we all love right?). if you have to ride to Wasdale though:
Road NE from Ulpha to climb BW past Wallowbarrow Crag to Grassguards. Continue NE onto forest road, turning left below Kepple Crag to pick up BW which flanks SW side of Harter Fell and pinball down the rocks to Eskdale (foot of Hardknott Pass).Head W on road to first bridge (Wha House) where you can turn left and follow BW along left bank of river. cross river again to Boot/Dalegarth Station and climb the BW past the Mill to Burnmoor Tarn (the BW which heads north then along the ridge is nicer, but steeper to start - see http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=31 ... 02312&lm=0)
Obviously then follow BW down to Wasdale Head.
Return along lakeside road to Nether Wasdale turning onto BW which climbs SSE over into Miterdale (type 2 fun....). Once back in Eskdale, the only real option is the Ulpha Fell road.

Don't know how long this is, but it will feel a lot more than 25 miles and I'd suggest setting aside 5 hrs +

You'd have a much better ride:
From Ulpha School take the BW through Birks Wood to Far Kiln Bank. Up the steep road and at the top turn left onto BW which heads SSE above Stainton Ground to Carter Ground. Turn left at Carter Ground (through the lovely garden!) to the road and follow it NE to the BW through Broughton Moor Forest. Turn left along the road (steep descent) and into Torver. Opposite the Church House Inn (now shut :sad: ) take the lane past the campsite and follow it past Tranearth climbing hut and the quarries to the Walna scar road. Left and over the top of Walna Scar, turning left through quarries to reach the BW along the River Lickle (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=32 ... 96289&lm=0
From Stephenson Ground follow BW NW and around Caw to descend to Seathwaite (great pub here open :grin: )

Sorry can't do the GPX thing - mail me for other ideas, detail.
McGroo

Post by McGroo »

Cheers Boxelder, will attempt to plot those on the map :-bd
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Let me know if you get lost (cartographically speaking)