Europe 2015

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Europe 2015

Post by Chew »

Now winters on it way and the evenings are dark, theres plenty of time to start planning a big trip or two for next year. Following on from the news letter about the European Routes anyone up for any of them.

Only just started to read through them at the moment.
Chicken Legs

Re: Europe 2015

Post by Chicken Legs »

Great link, feel like a kid in a sweet shop :wink:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I'd love to do the Polish one...
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

That looks like another good website to distract me :mrgreen:
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Wish I'd never clicked on that now :smile:
Mike

Post by Mike »

I could be up for it pal depending on when you are looking at going
FLV

Post by FLV »

I have gpx and PDF maps and 1st hand info on the transnevada if anyone wants it.

Not technical, but lovely, if a bit lonely on the northern side
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

The Jura traverse looks like it might fit in nicely with a family holiday. :-bd
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

The Greek trip looks nice.

Next year I am considering doing the first two controls of the Trans Continental route down to Mont Ventoux and Sestriere and then ride back via Switzerland, Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium. That will be mostly on road though. Followed the race the last few years so would be nice to see what they have in store and then get back to dot-watch.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I really like the look of the Camino Del Cid in Spain, it runs for about 400 miles from Burgos to Valencia. I thought about doing a chunk of it this year but August was the only time I could make it and the heat made it a non starter. Definitely one for the early Spring or Autumn. The route is described on Wikiloc or the official website http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=4794820http://www.caminodelcid.org/
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Thinking about a trip to Northern Norway in June. Does anybody have knowledge of trail routes in the Narvik to Alta area?
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'll be riding in mainland Europe next year :???:

Was thinking about doing (and hoping for the time to do):

- The Tuscany Trail event (beginning of May).

- The Navad 1000 (Switzerland, starting June 20th).

I was also thinking that an ITT of the TMB (Tour of Mont Blanc) route might be on the cards (the best time would likely be sometime in the first two weeks of September when it's not too busy but the weather is still good).

It's about 180km with +7000m of alt gain going through France, Italy, Switzerland and back into France (Chamonix).

If anyone else fancies it then I can offer a garden to pitch a tent in, a place to leave a car and/or pick-up from the airport (Geneva - quick and cheap).

Might also be up for joining others if anything happening nearby(ish) looks good.

Bring on 2015!
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

Blackhound -

I am (generally) following the saddle skidaddle route from St Malo to Nice next summer - and which goes past Ventoux (and possibly up it depending on weather, timings, legs etc) - in a quazi self supported / credit card suported style depending on how it goes (but really testing myself to see if I could realistically ramp it enough for the TCR the following year :-bd ).

Just formalising route with a view to 150m / day to complete in 6 days (ish).

Setting off week 20th July. When are you planning on doing yours chum?
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

Gairy - can you email me a link? Could well be up for that depending on how many days you were thinking of doing it over.

My other mate who lives near Cham did it last year (not sure if we talked about it on the 200 or if I was tripping at that point!)

Did the shifters arrive OK?
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

susd

I will be setting off a bit earlier than you probably. I am planning to be in Belgium for the start of the TransCon (which I am guessing is near Bruges) on 25th July so probably mid to late June start. Planning a 600km audax ~8th June so will need to recover, do the ride and get back to Belgium.

Sounds a good trip and 150 miles a day is a good pace but doable if early start late finish.
gairym

Post by gairym »

slowupslowdown wrote:Gairy - can you email me a link? Could well be up for that depending on how many days you were thinking of doing it over.

My other mate who lives near Cham did it last year (not sure if we talked about it on the 200 or if I was tripping at that point!)

Did the shifters arrive OK?
Sorry fella, missed this first time round.

Yes, the shifters arrived - did the money arrive?

You don't want the route we did recently as it turned out to be the hiking route not the MTB one but I'll dig out the one I found when I get a chance and post a link to it.

We recently did a rough approximation of the route in 36 hours but it had a lot more road then the 'proper' route and so I think 3 days of regular bikepacking or 2 days of properly going for it should be about right (for me at least).

I was thinking of just setting off and trying to do it in as fast a time as possible as the finale to my highly structured and serious training for next years BB200 but I'm under no illusion that it'll actually be fast.

The more the merrier so if you fancy it give me a shout and we can make it happen.

Cheers, Gairy.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Hello, I'll be in continental Europe this summer.

Registered already for Sellaronda Hero in the italian Dolomites, late June, and the MB race ultra distance near Chamonix, early July. After that (mid July until late August) I'm thinking of doing the Apine route 1 in Switzerland, 700km and 20.000 metres positive climbing.

I've got in the must do list a one day monster route from Bormio to Bormio 3000, down to St Caterina, then Zebrú pass, back to Bormio, up Stelvio pass and back to Bormio via Forcola pass. But now that I've got the gear for multy days it'd be more exciting to make it longer and link it to Livigno, Gallo pass or link it with Alpine route 1 or 444 National park bike marathon with detour to St. Moritz and add the Suvreta pass loop...there are no limits:) . . Been to Livigno a few times and know the area.

Gairym, you're also planning to do the Tour of Montblanc, right? Interested about that. I'm driving my small van over there, so your proposal for a parking place sounds excellent!

My first message in Bearbones forum :))
gairym

Post by gairym »

Javi wrote:Gairym, you're also planning to do the Tour of Montblanc, right? Interested about that. I'm driving my small van over there, so your proposal for a parking place sounds excellent!
I'm planning to do the TMB at least once next summer but have no fixed plans or dates of yet.

I was hoping to do the MB Race as well but it clashes with the Navad 1000 which I'm really looking forward to.

Give me a shout (or possibly a PM unless you're really close) if you're in the area and fancy that parking and/or camping spot.

I'll post more re: any firm plans as and when they materialise.

See you out here.....
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

A couple of friends and I are doing Navad1000 part as our summer bike trip, I'm really looking forward to it. Swiss prices will mean lots of bivvying in the mountains and limited stops at cafes! Hopefully it will be perfect prep for the MB-Race which is two weeks after the start of Navad1000. If not the clover leaf route of the MB-race will allow for an early bail out should things not go so well.
gairym

Post by gairym »

AlanG wrote:Hopefully it will be perfect prep for the MB-Race which is two weeks after the start of Navad1000.
You're planning on finishing in under 2 weeks???
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

I was also thinking that an ITT of the TMB (Tour of Mont Blanc) route might be on the cards (the best time would likely be sometime in the first two weeks of September when it's not too busy but the weather is still good).
I hadn't seen this before. I'm also planning on doing the TMB around the week of the 14th-20th September (to help myself celebrate a significant birthday!). I tried it before in early June and was snowed off the mountain, so I'm determined to have another shot at a time of year when the weather's generally more favourable. :-)
Javi

Post by Javi »

Woww!! The NAVAD 1000 looks great! It clashes with Sellaronda Hero for me.. Good luck Alan. As I understand, you're doing the MB race as well?

FOr me the best time to do TMB would be a few days after 4-5th July (MB race)as I'm in the area. Another time would be at the end of August, before I return to UK...but that's undecided

Gairym, MB race starts 2 weeks after NAVAD 1000. Maybe it's a bit tight?
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

gairym wrote:I was also thinking that an ITT of the TMB (Tour of Mont Blanc) route might be on the cards (the best time would likely be sometime in the first two weeks of September when it's not too busy but the weather is still good).
I 'rode' the TMB in September last year over 5 days and the weather was perfect. Not too many walkers as well.

I will freely admit I'm a sub-standard (aka crap) MTB rider but that route has some seriously unrideable sections!

This year I'm mainly riding on the road (have just come back from France/Spain). Heading to northern Europe (Netherlands, Germany, Denmark & Sweden) in May for 12 weeks. Either in 2016 or 2017 I want to try to piece together a bikepacking route essentially all the way around the Spain/Portugal peninsula, that European routes website looks pretty useful for that.