Borders 350 ITT. Group Start Date Set.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Borders 350 ITT. Group Start Date Set.

Post by Ray Young »

Well hopefully this is the final version. I say hopefully because I have not yet ridden the whole route but I have ridden most of it. What I haven't ridden is either forest track or marked paths that exist on the ground when viewed on satellite images. The reason I am posting it up now is so that anyone can go and ride it if they wish to before I make it official. When I say official I mean having a set date for a mass start (i'm thinking Aug bank holiday or Sep 2015 to fit in with other ITT's) and getting it up on "Self Supported UK" for which Steve prefers you to have a link to a website which I will need to do (any advice on setting up a website would be much appreciated). If anyone does ride it then feed back would be welcome.
It starts and finishes in Moffat in Dumfries and Galloway which is just off the A74(M) motorway and 17 miles from the nearest train station at Lockerbie.
It is approximately 350 miles long and has 10,500 meters of climbing. It consists of 37.5% off road, 37.5% forest road and 25% road with some bike hike.
The only bit of advice I will give is this, there is a nasty area of bog immediately after leaving the landrover track on the climb up to Dollar law. The area it covers is not big but if you are crossing it in the dark be careful.

ROUTE UPDATED. SEE NEW ROUTE FURTHER DOWN IN A NEW POST.
Last edited by Ray Young on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Borders 350 ITT.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good work Ray.

For a website you could just use Blogger. You'd only need a single page, it's free and pretty much idiot-proof :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

s8tannorm wrote:For a website you could just use Blogger. You'd only need a single page, it's free and pretty much idiot-proof :wink:
Thanks Stu, I'll look into that.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Depending on tomorrow's result will you have the authority to sign permits for those who live south of the border :grin:

More seriously, for ITT's will it be valid to start anywhere on the route?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Blackhound wrote:Depending on tomorrow's result will you have the authority to sign permits for those who live south of the border :grin:
No but I know several cross border paths that won't be watched :wink: .
Blackhound wrote:More seriously, for ITT's will it be valid to start anywhere on the route?
My thinking is that ITT routes should start at the same point so that any perceived or real advantages or disadvantages are ruled out. I also think that pacing yourself correctly over multi day ITT's is an important part of the event, this route has most of the forest roads at the start with the hardest off road stuff and climbs at the end. I chose the start point deliberately so that if you go off too quick you may well blow towards the end .
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Thanks Ray. I did a border raid last year at Bloody Bush when staying in Kielder.

I know some routes allow differing start points (I wondered if another place might be nearer a rail station) and was checking. It's your route and happy to stick with any rules you set. Always grateful for new route ideas.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Blackhound wrote: (I wondered if another place might be nearer a rail station)
Hi Blackhound, the borders area is not blessed with many rail stations. Lockerbie, the one I mention, is the closest to the route by a long way.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

You'll be able to get a train down to Galashiels from Embra starting at some point next year
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Hi Ray, Any chance you could email me a gpx please? smcfarlane at gmail dot com

I'm having trouble with map my run for some reason
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Restless, not seen you on here for a while. I have been doing some route riding the last two days and am going to be changing the route slightly. Getting rid of four miles of A road in exchange for more miles on a much prettier B road and getting rid of some hard bike a hike for some less hard bike a hike but adding in a better descent. Adjusted route up soon, will send it to you as requested.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Cheers ray

I mostly just lurk ;-)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

BORDERS 350 NEW ROUTE. #3 is the longer alternative to Straight Step path and it's scramble.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/558799120

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/558799758

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/558800242

Biggest and smallest loops go anti clockwise, middle size loop clockwise.

ROUTE UPDATED, SEE FURTHER DOWN.
Last edited by Ray Young on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ray
Any chance of a direct link to the gpx file as map my ride is insisting I register which I'd rather not....
Many thanks
Phil
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

htrider wrote:Ray
Any chance of a direct link to the gpx file as map my ride is insisting I register which I'd rather not....
Many thanks
Phil
PM sent.

Actually, if anyone else wants them direct just email me, youngray50 at gmail dot com
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bothy Locations on or near the route in order of being encountered.

Overpawhope NT181081 (on route, has a fire).
Greensykes NT312000 (400 m off route, has a fire).
Kershopehead NY544862 (about 8 k off route along forest roads, I think it has a fire).
Spithope NT768056 (1.5 k off route along a forest road, a small bothy that sleeps four, has a fire).
Yearning Saddle Refuge Hut NT804129 (on route, sleeps four on narrow benches plus space on the floor, no fire).
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Great local knowledge thank ray!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

It sounds like three of team sheffield are keen for the group start...
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ianfitz wrote:It sounds like three of team sheffield are keen for the group start...
Good to hear. I'm pretty sure that the group start will be the English/Welsh August bank holiday. I still have some sections to ride but they are spread around the route a bit so I am hoping to get them done before the year is out. Once that is done I will put the route up on a dedicated blog.
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

confirm that Sheff will be there!

Will be off the back of the Trans France ride as now shifted dates but signed off on now!

It will be good to have another bikepacking ITT adventure on the calendar as well as the BB200 for next year or it would be road dominated!!!
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'll likely be keen to come up for this too, looks good and I've not been these areas enough
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Did this get ridden? Would be interested to see the route, living fairly close.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

boxelder wrote:Did this get ridden? Would be interested to see the route, living fairly close.

Hi, I think I have the route in it's final form. I have ridden most of the route but not all of it. The bits I have not ridden are small sections spread far apart. I am hoping to ride the whole route at the beginning of April. Once I have ridden the whole route I will put it up on a web site or blog spot as well as on here. I am hoping for a group start over the English/Welsh August bank holiday this year. If you would like gpx files for the route then email me at youngray50 at gmail dot com.
Latest route update,
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/600939360
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/599597010
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/606702806
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/599597192
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/599597304
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Was thinking about this today and looking at maps etc.

What would be really handy is some idea of local shops/cafes and pubs in the smaller places, I'm sure the larger towns will have plenty of options but local knowledge is always handy :-)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ianfitz wrote:Was thinking about this today and looking at maps etc.

What would be really handy is some idea of local shops/cafes and pubs in the smaller places, I'm sure the larger towns will have plenty of options but local knowledge is always handy :-)
If all goes to plan then I am riding this over five days at the end of the month so I will try to take notes on facilities.
Hopefully a group start on the August bank holiday. Will keep you posted.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Cheers Roy look forward to hearing about your trip.

And the August group start :-)