winter bike pack trip/bothy

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

windjammer

winter bike pack trip/bothy

Post by windjammer »

i recentley built up a salsa fargo i have a rear rack and dry bag and making a handlebar carrying system as we speak, im looking at going on a trip for new years eve just for 1 night ,im over in east yorkshire so thought about catching the train to scarborough and venturing off to the forests on gravel roads,im a bit limited to tyres at the moment as i could only afford my road setup but im going to get some 700cx40 offroad touring tyres. if anyone else has ideas were to go ill be happy to drive some were else but no further than 3 hours from hull.matt
Chew

Re: winter bike pack trip/bothy

Post by Chew »

Could be up for something like this. I'm based over in Leeds, so out eastwards would be good.

Usually ride in the Dales/Calderdale, so my knowledge out that way is a bit limited, but theres plenty of forest to play in between Scarborough and Whitby

or something like this if you only have a road setup?
http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home ... map_canvas
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

ive done the route on the old railway line from scaboro to whitby, but never bivid out round there, ive wild camped at goathland,grosmont and know a shooting lodge on the moors near goathland were you can stay a night with raised sleeping platforms but have to chance it that no one else is there
Chew

Post by Chew »

Sounds like a plan.
Ride out there fingers crossed that theres room, if not i'm sure its easy enough to find somewhere to bivi.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

i found this route should be good for 2 days with a bivi

http://www.sharemyroutes.com/routes/Uni ... tails.aspx
Chew

Post by Chew »

Looks a good route. Full of cold at the moment, but should be fine for the weekend.

Where abouts were you thinking of biving?

How about starting in Scarborough and going clockwise, biving in the forest, and then back to Scarborough for an all day breakfast?
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

yeah thats what i thought then bivi in forest i suppose anywere with some cover of trees in case its raining, i got some stuff together today rack bag with fold out panniers and a homemade bar carrier out of some drop bars,seems a lot of stuff for one night lol.do all the hard stuff first then you got the dissused railway line to come back on, its a slight down hill
Chew

Post by Chew »

Ok. I'm presuming you have lights?

Plotted a route and it comes in at about 80k.
Scarborough > Wykeham Forest > Dalby Forest > Langdale Forest > Pike Hill > Hawsker > Robins Hood Bay > Ravenscar > Scalby > Scarborough

Assuming my cold clears, how about meeting at the lifeboat station at 4pm on saturday riding into the forest and biving in either Langdale forest or Pike Hill Plantation, and then back to Scarborough for 12pm for a mug of tea and an all day breakfast?
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

its my first time out with camping gear and riding my bike at the same time, i have lights but not good powerfull ones i thought we would have to be setting off a bit earlier.give me a ring 07740255907.matt
Chew

Post by Chew »

I'm still feeling very rough with flu :cry:

I was wary of getting of getting to the bivi spot too early and then being cold and wet and not being able to sleep.

May have to see how i feel tomorrow as at present sleeping outdoors is the last thing on my mind :|
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

i know how you feel,its not the best of times to be sleeping in a bivi, think its best to find a bothy or bunkhouse this kind of year