Lakeland200 25/27th October

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

calumf50

Lakeland200 25/27th October

Post by calumf50 »

From STW. :oops:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... ummer-ends

Setting off from Stavely on the Friday at 18:00.

Coniston first night, then Keswick on the Saturday night.

Anyone fancy it? Route here:

http://www.selfsupporteduk.net/routes/Lakeland200.html
Pyro

Re: Lakeland200 25/27th October

Post by Pyro »

Might join you for some of it, not fit enough for the lot!
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
calumf50

Post by calumf50 »

I'm going to set off with a view to doing it all, but if I start strugling to much will probably just peel off on to the roads and make a b line back.

Don't know how my fitness compares to anyone elses, as I dont know anyone else whos doing it (in real life). But will give it a go anyway. :lol:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Ties in with my half-term. Probably last outing before the "baby enroute trip embargo" is enforced. ;)
postierich

Post by postierich »

Hi guys this is a great route and well worth the effort I did the most of the route in the summer 185km but had to bail on a few of the loops due to the heat! Carried all my gear and used pubs for food stops I will not be going race pace and its more of enjoying the route/scenery.The first evening will of course involve night riding but close enough to towns if anything goes wrong.
DSCF3436[1] by Richard Munro, on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/nzrich/set ... 672946804/
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I'll likely join you for the Sunday, probably on Saturday night. My folks are local to Keswick, and I've mates in Kendal, so should be able to drop the car and shuttle around.

I may well be slow, mind.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
postierich

Post by postierich »

After having to cancel due to a large tumour in my chest removed I,m back on the mend and looking @ doing this in May so will confirm a date soon :-)
Mandicky

Post by Mandicky »

I'm interested in doing this some time this year. Has anyone here completed the whole route? I'm being lazy as I'm sure most of the answers are on Google / Google Earth..

How much of the route is on-road?
Can you find food (pubs / Spars) without having to divert too far off the route?
Will I be carrying my bike for some sections?

Not sure when I'll be there but I'll probably be up for a week's cycling holiday with friends in May / June. I think I'll be doing this ride on my own though.....

Cheers,

Richard
greenmug

Post by greenmug »

Mandicky wrote:I'm interested in doing this some time this year. Has anyone here completed the whole route? I'm being lazy as I'm sure most of the answers are on Google / Google Earth..

How much of the route is on-road?
Can you find food (pubs / Spars) without having to divert too far off the route?
Will I be carrying my bike for some sections?
The first 50km is a lot of road. After that you won't see much tarmac outside of linking sections (e.g. Honister pass). A wide range of surface from gravel tourist path to bog with a bit of boulder field as you head over passes.

The route goes near to at least two shop opportunitites. The most northerly part (about 2/3 round) isn't so far away from Keswick that you couldn't call in. Their useful-ness depends on the time of day you pass through as villages only have tourist shops with 9-5 opening times. So be careful about relying on a shop if you think you'll arrive at either end of the day.

Pack for the Lakeland200 to expect a chunk of carrying. If you doing the route over a long period and the weather is kind you'll see a lot of amazing views.
Mandicky

Post by Mandicky »

Cheers Greenmug :D
Useful information. I've got a few months to forge a plan of attack :)

Richard
postierich

Post by postierich »

Greenmug you must have done a different first 50km to the one I did!!! granted there was a bit of quiet road but would say no more than 8km!
ton

Post by ton »

if i get my ticker sorted before then, i will make one in if that is ok.
got some good miles in my legs so far this year, hopefully will have the ticker power to deal with the hills too by then.
WillieKimble

Post by WillieKimble »

that looks like a great w/e of cycling I'm def interested. I'll be driving or public transport up from Brizzle (Bristol). if I get the free pass from the wife i'll be happy to carshare with anyone else to save petrol money. bit of a novice to camping light so will be looking for some advice closer to the time....