Llandegla bivy spot?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Llandegla bivy spot?

Post by voodoo_simon »

Anyone know of any good spots to bivy/wild camp near to Llandegla? Thinking of a ride for the near future and using the centre for tea/breakfast, so anywhere within an hour's cycle would be good

Cheers :)
Mike

Re: Llandegla bivy spot?

Post by Mike »

there's a nice bird hide out back if ur late stopping early rising
barney

Post by barney »

Simon, I think John_Climber was planning a Llandegla bivi a week or two ago but delayed it due to monsoon like weather. He might be able to point you in the right direction.

Have you thought about just up the road in Cilcain/Loggerheads, you can get a nice meal in the White Horse pub and have breakfast at Loggerheads cafe in the morning.

If you don't mind someone tagging along let me know (as soon as I'm back riding that is :( )
Wait for me...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Cheers yetiman, didn't think of that.

Barney, I'll let you know when I'm next out. Was going to be this weekend but I'm building up a new bike.

Loggerheads is a great idea, never thought of it despite visiting it a few times this year :roll:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

A word of warning if you ride a rigid or even a laidened hardtail, I got shaken to bits on my rigid Niner there today, it's really eroded and rocky in places, defiantly full susser territory now if you need comfort.

If I were you I'd head to Clocaenog Forest and use the Llyn Brenig visitors centre for your food needs.

Clocaenog is crappy after rain but fantastic for getting lost in when it's dry.
I'm trying to work on a pass for next Saturday/Sunday if you fancy big miles and a guide.

For bivi'ing at Llandgela I'd head up to the masts left then right at the top of the 3 mile climb as it crosses the Offa's Dyke and bivi/camp in or near the walkers shelter at the top here http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=32 ... 48895&lm=0
The midges in the forest in the summer will be bad but up here if there's a breeze you'll be fine with great views (but not in bad weather or mist)
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Cheers John, again, never thought of the walkers shelter and it comes with the added bonus of that fantastic singletrack descent over the moors
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

voodoo_simon wrote:and it comes with the added bonus of that fantastic singletrack descent over the moors
It's not that good now, I'm sorry to report.

What with all the bike tracks and rain over the last couple of years it's really deeply rutted now in places and pedal strikes are common to spoil the flow.

Don't expect a great downhill like it used to be and you might just enjoy it.