North Lakes Overnighter 09/08/22

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

North Lakes Overnighter 09/08/22

Post by thenorthwind »

Bit of a last minute one but a bit of a niggle in my foot from overdoing it last week means I'm not really able to continue my Wainwrights mission running/walking. Reluctant to miss out on this weather though, so planning to take the bike over. Happy to have company.

Rough plan is Helvellyn ridge from the Old Coach Road, over Dollywaggon Pike and down Grisedale to Patterdale. Refuel, head up towards Angle Tarn to bivvy. High Street north to Pooley Bridge in the morning.

Not sure where I'll start, depends where I can leave the car overnight. About 45 miles and 8000ft climbing total. Descent off Dollywaggon is pretty technical, water bar-fest -TBH I'll probably end up walking down a lot, but Grisedale is worth it. Expect excursions to outlying peaks for no other reason than some bloke included them in his list :wink:
Lazarus

Re: North Lakes Overnighter 09/08/22

Post by Lazarus »

Dollywaggon is pretty technical
Its the only time in the lakes i was glad to get down something alive - then again i hate steps
Not able to sadly but enjoy it
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Dollywagon. I think I know what you mean now. I ended up walking at least 40 percent of it I think whilst the other mad nutters just rode down. One came off IIRC. Twas for charity so well worth it but wouldn't want to go for the adrenaline rush as many probably do. The steps looked worse :grin:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:32 pm depends where I can leave the car overnight.
I'm sure you know it already but I've always been OK with the car parked in the impromtu car park/layby by the crossroads at the western end of the Old Coach Rd where it hits the tarmac.

That's a great route, wish I could join you.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I would, but I'm in the Basque country.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:42 pm
Dollywaggon is pretty technical
Its the only time in the lakes i was glad to get down something alive - then again i hate steps
Not able to sadly but enjoy it
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:15 pm Dollywagon. I think I know what you mean now. I ended up walking at least 40 percent of it I think whilst the other mad nutters just rode down. One came off IIRC. Twas for charity so well worth it but wouldn't want to go for the adrenaline rush as many probably do. The steps looked worse :grin:
Walked quite a bit when I last rode it on my 160mm enduro bike, unloaded. Not confident I'll do any better on my 130mm "downcountry" bike, loaded. 29er though, could make all the difference. It's not my idea of fun though.
In Reverse wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:07 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:32 pm depends where I can leave the car overnight.
I'm sure you know it already but I've always been OK with the car parked in the impromtu car park/layby by the crossroads at the western end of the Old Coach Rd where it hits the tarmac.

That's a great route, wish I could join you.
Cheers, I know the one you mean and it's a good shout. I might actually get the train - with the cost of fuel as it is, it actually looks reasonable for once.
boxelder wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:46 pm I would, but I'm in the Basque country.
Ah, hoped you might be around Andy. Enjoy yourself anyway.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ahh the Dollywagon descent! I rode it in 1989 on a rigid 26er with a 120mm stem, the joys of being a feckless youth :grin:

Working alas and eyeing up various Scottish ITT routes for the weekend so have fun :-bd