Calder divide this week anyone ?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

Calder divide this week anyone ?

Post by ton »

Gonna ride the Calder divide route this Thursday and Friday.

Anyone fancy it ?

It will be slowly.
ton

Re: Calder divide this week anyone ?

Post by ton »

set off on this yesterday morning, but failed after 62 miles.
it is a very tough ride once the climbing starts. and it seems very stop=start for some reason.
some lovely views but just a bit too tough for me at present.

would like to hear from someone who as finished it.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

62 miles of that terrain is a decent spin out. Good effort.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ton wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:20 am set off on this yesterday morning, but failed after 62 miles.
it is a very tough ride once the climbing starts. and it seems very stop=start for some reason.
some lovely views but just a bit too tough for me at present.

would like to hear from someone who as finished it.
I never class it as failed Ton. I always see em as a preparation for the next ride. Good going btw...
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

I am joining some friends for the group ride on Sep if anyone is keen for a social with beers and camping.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

What bike were you on?

I suspect it's a ride where whichever bike you take, half the ride will be great and half will be wishing you were on the other.

The split being roughly east ==gravel, west==mtb.
ton

Post by ton »

What bike were you on?
on the fargo Phil.
with rigid forks and 50mm schwalbe big bens.

gonna have another go soon, with 2 mates. we are not gonna be carrying any gear, gonna have a night at the yoho in hebbers.

i will be riding the mtb with 100mm forks and 2.4 tyres.

a lightweight full sus would be perfect i reckon.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

A night in a stone tent, now that sounds like a good plan.
benwarburton

Post by benwarburton »

First post so hello everyone.I rode this last week in two days with two mates.Its only my third bikepacking trip and my first with other people.120mm full suspension front and rear which worked perfectly even though one lad was on a hardtail.Over round Wakefield its plain sailing and you soon knock the miles off but the Haworth,Hebden section is tough and thank god we had perfect weather.Not kitted out for camping yet so it was a night in a monastery in Mirfield.Well done whoever designed the route,it must take some time and a lot of local knowledge.
NickyBoy36

Post by NickyBoy36 »

I'm doing the Calder Divide Challenge this weekend (short route) It's in aid of Overgate Hospice - the event is now sold-out - any other BB forum members doing it ?
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I'll be there, looks like it'll be a belter :-bd
Holgateeng

Post by Holgateeng »

NickyBoy36 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:54 pm I'm doing the Calder Divide Challenge this weekend (short route) It's in aid of Overgate Hospice - the event is now sold-out - any other BB forum members doing it ?
I'll be there , doing the long route of course :roll:
NickyBoy36

Post by NickyBoy36 »

Weather was looking good last time I looked, could be a bit windy.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Just ridden this over the last couple of days, medium route plus around Watergrove Reservoir / long causway from the long route.. Very much a route of two halves and tough in places on the lumpy half, but generally very enjoyable.
For those doing the medium route, cross over the Aire and Calder Navigation at the Stanley Ferry Inn as the towpath on the GPX is closed with a detour before the bridge used on the medium route.
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

NickyBoy36 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:54 pm I'm doing the Calder Divide Challenge this weekend (short route) It's in aid of Overgate Hospice - the event is now sold-out - any other BB forum members doing it ?
I'll be there, looks like good weather :)
NickyBoy36

Post by NickyBoy36 »

Set out yesterday morning with two friends to do the short 92 mile route in one hit. Great organisation and the main organiser (Adrian) was super friendly. The ride itself was very hard, but luckily the weather was great, warm all day. There are some fantastic sections on this route, stunning scenery. Parts of the ride include some gnarly descents so hats off to the gravel bike riders who rode down some of these. The best bit of the ride was the twilight section from the main road near Digley Reservoir down into Marsden, I was on a hardtail and had a blast going down to Marsden. For me that's where it started getting really hard, it was now pitch black and a big pull onto to Marsden Moor. I went from having the best day ever to really digging in for the last 35 km. There was also a tricky descent down to the canal. Eventually all three of us made it back by 1 am, a cold beer and a hot steak pie and mushy peas from the super friendly Adrian made it all in all a top day. One gravel guy finished at the same time and he had done the big route (152miles) in one hit, so I think it will be on the radar of some serious riders in the future.
I think this event will be very popular next year.If I was doing it again, I would choose the 120 mile route and camp overnight.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Good stuff! Did you manage to get a beer/pie and peas last night? :shock:

I rode the long route in one hit but it was all locked up when I arrived back. Fortunately I dont live far away so had a beer at home instead :-bd

Really enjoyed it! Super friendly with great organisation and communications. The shorter route options plus optional campsite + bag drop hopefully appealed to less experienced riders, or at least will do in future.

There's clearly been a lot of work put into running the event and it seemed to be a great success with substantial funds raised for Overgate Hospice. Long may it continue :-bd
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Johnallan wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:16 pm

The shorter route options plus optional campsite + bag drop hopefully appealed to less experienced riders, or at least will do in future.

Not only inexperienced riders. Some people just want to have a fun. relaxed , sociable weekend and don't feel the need to turn every event into an FKT p1ssing contest.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Aye, that's true but not really what I was getting at. Either way, it's a nice option to have :-bd
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

Agreed, it was really well organised and everyone involved was super friendly. I went on my own and, although I dropped out part way, when I got back to Mytholmroyd after just a few hours, I was given a lovely welcome back, and a really friendly chat, and lots of positivity.
I'm really hoping this one goes on again.
outonmybike

Post by outonmybike »

trogladytes wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:34 pm Agreed, it was really well organised and everyone involved was super friendly. I went on my own and, although I dropped out part way, when I got back to Mytholmroyd after just a few hours, I was given a lovely welcome back, and a really friendly chat, and lots of positivity.
I'm really hoping this one goes on again.
Love the positive feedback and yes the Calder Divide Trail will be back next year and this time with five route options! Possibly a bit too much but the idea is to cater for different abilities and as you rode the event this year you'll know that the 'short' route at 92 miles is not really 'short'. Anyway the website has lots of pictures from the September bikepacking event and I put up the excellent video Allen B made so there's lots to look at: www.calderdividetrail.co.uk

Stuart offered lots of support early on in the year in promoting the first event so I know he'll be happy to put out a full set of details about the second CDT when I find time to write a brief overview.
Cheers
Adrian
CDT
outonmybike

Post by outonmybike »

woodsmith wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:31 pm
Johnallan wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:16 pm

The shorter route options plus optional campsite + bag drop hopefully appealed to less experienced riders, or at least will do in future.

Not only inexperienced riders. Some people just want to have a fun. relaxed , sociable weekend and don't feel the need to turn every event into an FKT p1ssing contest.

The campsite is booked for next years bikepacking event and this time we'll set up a large marquee so riders have a shared space to eat / talk / chill
Cheers
Adrian
CDT
outonmybike

Post by outonmybike »

Johnallan wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:16 pm Good stuff! Did you manage to get a beer/pie and peas last night? :shock:

I rode the long route in one hit but it was all locked up when I arrived back. Fortunately I dont live far away so had a beer at home instead :-bd

Really enjoyed it! Super friendly with great organisation and communications. The shorter route options plus optional campsite + bag drop hopefully appealed to less experienced riders, or at least will do in future.

There's clearly been a lot of work put into running the event and it seemed to be a great success with substantial funds raised for Overgate Hospice. Long may it continue :-bd
HI John

I've made a new route for next years CDT Challenge and it comes in at 172 miles but this time its a generous 36 hours to 'earn' the black badge so you can camp out for a few hours on the moors if that suits you or just do the 'black' route in one go and set a new FKT!! BTW next time ring that 'event room' phone number and I'll answer the front door at MYYCC so you can a have a hot pie ! PS have you seen your lovely photo up on the website? www.calderdividetrail.co.uk

Adrian
CDT
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Glad to see you're making plans for next year Adrian, it really was a great event so I'll be looking forward to next year's extended route.

Pleased to see I look as awkward as ever on the website :lol: I imagine you needed the rest more than I needed the pie :grin:
outonmybike

Post by outonmybike »

Hi John

That's a cracking picture of you. Big smile. Holding a lovely new patch. Hopefully this one doesn't go in your bottom draw!

I earnt a green badge by completing the route - all three of them over different weekends - and its on the bookshelf in my front. But I didn't manage to do the long route in under 24 hours. Maybe next year?

I reckon the 165 route will really suit you and the other endurance riders. The key difference it that form the community centre starts by heading west so you get to see those lovely moors above Summit and over Hades Hill and Thievely Pike in the daylight.

The 'black' gravel/mtb 165 starts by going up Spencer Lane. I've been nosey and seen you've been up that and taken a lovely photo of the cobbles. Could I use that on the website?

Cheers
Adrian