Wenlock Edge

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

godivatrailrider

Wenlock Edge

Post by godivatrailrider »

Off out for an overnighter tonight, starting in Ludlow, heading NE over Brown Clee Hill and down into Bridgnorth to collect the BCQ point there, heading on up to Much Wenlock for another BCQ, & onto Wenlock edge looking for a suitable wild camp spot avoiding doggers, zombies, werewolves and axe murderers, hopefully.
If I survive the night, I'll continue along Wenlock Edge and then head up to Marshbrooke and the lower reaches of the southern end of the Long Mynd. Then return to Ludlow via Craven Arms.

Weather looks perfect, only just dropping into minus figures overnight. :-bd
UnderTheRadars

Re: Wenlock Edge

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Nice ride, a bit of Jack Mytton action? I hope you post some pictures.

Oh what’s a BCQ?
godivatrailrider

UnderTheRadars wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:45 am Nice ride, a bit of Jack Mytton action? I hope you post some pictures.

Oh what’s a BCQ?
https://www.cyclinguk.org/british-cycle-quest

It can give a purpose to a ride, a bit like the WRT GR's. Makes you ride in different places.... like Bridgnorth on a Friday night :grin:

I doubt there will be photo's as I don't have a hosting site any more, used to use Photobucket, I'll maybe look into it today
godivatrailrider

Ok we're in with a fighting chance of a picture
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Excellent! Thanks for BCQ info, just having a look now
godivatrailrider

Left Ludlow around 16:30 hoping to collect 2x BCQ points, Bridgnorth & Much Wenlock . On the way I summited Brown Clee Hill, at 1772’ the highest point in Shropshire! And to the east the next point as high is the Ural Mountains ! Apparently. I was blessed with a fairly dramatic sky but thought I’d best Foxtrot Oscar before the rain got me! Off I went to Bridgnorth and a bag of chips 👍 I’m veggie so options are pretty limited in Chippys. It was 20:00 ish and getting dark and cold by the time I got back on the road heading to Much Wenlock. Spirits were, truth be told, pretty low, but once it got dark and I was riding by my bike light combo things got much better. I guess you’re more isolated as you haven’t much scenery or perspective in the dark. At 22:00 I found a spot to wild camp that looked decent but pressed on and luckily found a much better one after another mile or so. I actually slept fairly well and stayed mostly warm enough. The dawn chorus woke me at 05:50 and I was up, decamped, and on the road for 06:50. It was pretty cold but I arrived in short shrift in Much Wenlock where I made tea and porridge. Onwards to the whole of Wenlock Edge 👍 then in through Craven Arms and home fo 12:20. 59.6 miles and 4600’ climbing

I like this one, taken on the top of Brown Clee Hill, highest spot in Shropshire
Last edited by godivatrailrider on Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
godivatrailrider

Found me a great spot after seeing another a mile earlier and nearly going for it, I made the foolhardy decision to hold out for a better one and luckily found this
godivatrailrider

Early morning brew :-bd
godivatrailrider

Sweet trails along the top of Wenlock Edge
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Nice pix and write up :0)