The Welsh Ride Thing - Lonely Hearts Club - Sat April 30th to (Bank Holiday) Mon 2nd May

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

The Welsh Ride Thing - Lonely Hearts Club - Sat April 30th to (Bank Holiday) Mon 2nd May

Post by JohnClimber »

This Spring I have been given the honour of leading the Bear Bones's Lonely Hearts Club ...

What's it all about? (from Stuart's email)

Would you like to enter (the WRT) but don't feel entirely confident in your abilities? Yes? Then perhaps join the Lonely Hearts Club.
You will need to be able to comfortably ride around 30 - 40 miles per day including off-road sections but you'll have no navigation worries or concerns about finding re-supply or overnight spots.
If that sounds like something you'd be interested in....

I have 4 helpers, so don't be scared, boys and girls all welcome

Please let me know on here or in a message here on this forum or drop me an email to johnmoore200 @aol.com (no space) and we can start talking about what it's all about
Asposium

Re: The Welsh Ride Thing - Lonely Hearts Club - Sat April 30th to (Bank Holiday) Mon 2nd May

Post by Asposium »

….
Last edited by Asposium on Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JohnClimber

Re: The Welsh Ride Thing - Lonely Hearts Club - Sat April 30th to (Bank Holiday) Mon 2nd May

Post by JohnClimber »

Asposium wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:06 pm I'd like to join, maybe with a plus one.

Like the social aspect of the group
Message sent :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I just want to clarify that the role of the LHC is to provide riders who have very limited experience of bikepacking with a way of dipping their toe in the water while having a safety-net of sorts. Most will likely not have bikepacked before, may have limited map reading skills and most likely, no knowledge of the area and no one to ask.

Once the LHC ceases to offer that, then it ceases to function. I know that John won't want to turn anyone away but there's a finite number above which things such as re-supply, finding overnight spots and a general reduction in a groups ability to move forward becomes an issue.

Obviously, those with more experience are welcome to form their own groups and alliances and wander the hills at their leisure.

Sorry if that all sounds a bit grumpy, it's not meant to but I'd much rather get things straight from the outset.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

…..
Last edited by Asposium on Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:27 pm I just want to clarify that the role of the LHC is to provide riders who have very limited experience of bikepacking with a way of dipping their toe in the water while having a safety-net of sorts. Most will likely not have bikepacked before, may have limited map reading skills and most likely, no knowledge of the area and no one to ask.

Once the LHC ceases to offer that, then it ceases to function. I know that John won't want to turn anyone away but there's a finite number above which things such as re-supply, finding overnight spots and a general reduction in a groups ability to move forward becomes an issue.

Obviously, those with more experience are welcome to form their own groups and alliances and wander the hills at their leisure.

Sorry if that all sounds a bit grumpy, it's not meant to but I'd much rather get things straight from the outset.
Thanks Stuart, I don't know everyone level of experience like you do. I don't even know most of their real names either :oops: :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't know everyone level of experience like you do. I don't even know most of their real names either :oops:
Wouldn't expect you to John. I simply wanted to point out that the LHC is really an exercise in helping those with limited experience rather than simply a banner under which a social group ride takes place.
videoman

Post by videoman »

Hi John, new member to the group and after the last few years restrictions really feel the need to get out. Just wondered if there were any more places left for a first time bikepacker if I'm not too old to come out and play
Cheers
Alan
Verena

Post by Verena »

Hi, I'm equally happy to go off and do my own thing, or to join as one of Santa's little helpers, if it helps to make any newbie female riders feel more welcome/ at ease :cool:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

videoman wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:21 pm Hi John, new member to the group and after the last few years restrictions really feel the need to get out. Just wondered if there were any more places left for a first time bikepacker if I'm not too old to come out and play
Cheers
Alan
Alan, this please is for you.
Looking forward to riding with you.
I see you're new to the forum, welcome.
I'll drop you a personal message on here
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Verena wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:55 pm Hi, I'm equally happy to go off and do my own thing, or to join as one of Santa's little helpers, if it helps to make any newbie female riders feel more welcome/ at ease :cool:
Verena,
It's always a privileged and a pleasure to ride with you, you're in the gang and not escaping.

Any ladies and girls wanting to ride in the LHC gang Verena is in the team to help guide you into the fantastic work of bike packing.

Any questions just message me or Verena if you don't want to post on here
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

3 have already shown an interest. :-bd

But no girls.
Verena needs your company, so please ladies don't be shy.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

For anyone who wants to join us on the LHC group ride during the WRT, just to make sure we have the right info should any problems arise

Please can you send me the following?

1) Your full name -

2) Your Bear Bones forum name -

3) Your mobile phone number -

4) Do you use WhatsApp and would you like to be in a WhatsApp chat group in April as part of the build up once the Grid Refs come out? - YES/NO

5) And an emergency name and phone number -
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Would of helped you out John but I'm only on the Lite version this year round as I can't get cover in work for the BH Monday, I'll catch up with you over a cuppa tho before departing :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Verena you have company C says that she will be joining our merry band heading into the Welsh Landscape as part of the WRT LHC ride.

So far we have 3 boys and 1 girl.

Give me a shout/email/message if you are interested in joining :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

JohnClimber wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:45 pm Verena you have company C says that she will be joining our merry band heading into the Welsh Landscape as part of the WRT LHC ride.

So far we have 3 boys and 1 girl.

Give me a shout/email/message if you are interested in joining :-bd
:-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Would be good to have more contestants from the distaff side. Could you grab a few random ladies off the streets of Brecon, Verena? Or, I could dress up in one of my 'Friday night outfits' to give the impression of more women on board? (*)

(*) sort of the opposite to "are there any women here?" etc etc etc
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

Are you thinking along the lines of Drag Race Llanbrynmair? Which you reckon will attract more women 🤔?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/00/40/6b ... ec1635.jpg
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Reg I hope you're going to maintain standards and include a crinoline or bustle :grin:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

which maps are we likely to require?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't yet say with 100% certainty but Explorer 215 is a definite and 213 / 214 are often very useful too.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:13 am
Can't yet say with 100% certainty but Explorer 215 is a definite and 213 / 214 are often very useful too.
so OS215 Exp definately without 100% certainy and the others less so!
So is that you're clueless, or not giving a clue to you? :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's just that the start is located on 215 :wink:
TREBOR

Post by TREBOR »

Hi all iam really looking forward to meeting you all .and to be riding in a group.ive given my information to John .its a great thing you give the opportunity for the less experienced bike packer like my self to join in the fun . Do I need to get some maps or not thanks again :-bd
If you can dream it you can make it :-bd
It's not about the destination it's all about the journey :ugeek:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one Trebor. Re maps, probably best to wait until Stu sends the grid references out in April or you might find you've ended up with a map of Newtown instead of a map of Aberystwyth or vice versa. Then again, obviously you can't have too many maps so maybe just buy all of them in a 40 mile radius of Llanbrynmair anyway :grin: .

Curiously dash4it.co.uk always have a 40% discount on maps just before the WRT so keep an eye out for that.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster