HT550 Grand Depart - May 2022

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TrepidExplorer

Re: HT550 Grand Depart - May 2022

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Thanks lads for the support and Bearlegged for commentary.

Yes those were a couple of naps you spotted. One 20 minute burst of sleeping bag liner kips after a brew of pot noodle on the WHW above Fort Bill.

Once the sun was up I was good until the mound before Bridge of Orchy. I couldn't push in a straight line because I was falling asleep on my feet. Dropped to my knees to get my food out and fell asleep dreaming about the stores at Drumbeg!!

After a bit more pushing I decided to relieve the pressure in my feet so lay on my back with my jacket over my eyes and feet up on a rock whilst eating crisps. I had to reassure a few people I was fine. After that when I got the dozies I just shouted at myself a lot and looked forward to finishing sooner rather than later which seemed to make me ride quicker and keep me awake.

Full write up when I can put the words in the right order without falling asleep again!
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

TrepidExplorer wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:11 pm Thanks lads for the support and Bearlegged for commentary.

Yes those were a couple of naps you spotted. One 20 minute burst of sleeping bag liner kips after a brew of pot noodle on the WHW above Fort Bill.

Once the sun was up I was good until the mound before Bridge of Orchy. I couldn't push in a straight line because I was falling asleep on my feet. Dropped to my knees to get my food out and fell asleep dreaming about the stores at Drumbeg!!

After a bit more pushing I decided to relieve the pressure in my feet so lay on my back with my jacket over my eyes and feet up on a rock whilst eating crisps. I had to reassure a few people I was fine. After that when I got the dozies I just shouted at myself a lot and looked forward to finishing sooner rather than later which seemed to make me ride quicker and keep me awake.

Full write up when I can put the words in the right order without falling asleep again!
Trep. Well done once again. Proper nails... :shock: :grin: :-bd
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

A little piece Peak District Mtb did on the HT550 for me....

http://peakdistrictmtb.org/peak-distric ... trail-550/
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Oh Alex. A brilliant ride and thank you for making me feel better about my feet.
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Ive just had to start a run of antibiotics as my nail bed is seeping puss and i expect i will loose the nail...still on a positive note the swelling has reduced alot!
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

I lost a nail last year but then it had been poor show for 2 years before that so was glad to see the back of it. It grew back just fine.

It's taken me nearly as long as it did to ride the damn thing but here it is, the Trep write up is done.

Warning: May contain triggers!

https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/202 ... -2022.html

riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Well worth the read, thanks
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

A brilliant read! Thanks Trep and well done
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:38 pm Ive just had to start a run of antibiotics as my nail bed is seeping puss and i expect i will loose the nail...still on a positive note the swelling has reduced alot!
Can you get hold of some pure/raw honey Alex. Start applying it on and around it... after cleaning it each time obviously. Should (read: 'will, God Willing) sort itself out alot lot faster than without. Battle scars, they're always good. :-bd

Lidl currently has some Manuka for really cheap. Its probably a play on words but it definitely will be good enough...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd A great tale Trep well done!
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Great write up, very impressive :-bd
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

TrepidExplorer wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:56 pm I lost a nail last year but then it had been poor show for 2 years before that so was glad to see the back of it. It grew back just fine.

It's taken me nearly as long as it did to ride the damn thing but here it is, the Trep write up is done.

Warning: May contain triggers!

https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/202 ... -2022.html

What a write up, thank you Trep. That had me laughing and jealous in equal measure
Image Image
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Enjoyed that Trep!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

What a brilliant write-up :lol:
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Superb account Trep. Thanks for taking the trouble to describe the whole experience in such detail. :-bd
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Cheers everyone. Jimmy. I think I live by the quote in your signature strip!
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

:grin: A wise move!
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:56 pm
Alexinthepeaks wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:38 pm Ive just had to start a run of antibiotics as my nail bed is seeping puss and i expect i will loose the nail...still on a positive note the swelling has reduced alot!
Can you get hold of some pure/raw honey Alex. Start applying it on and around it... after cleaning it each time obviously. Should (read: 'will, God Willing) sort itself out alot lot faster than without. Battle scars, they're always good. :-bd

Lidl currently has some Manuka for really cheap. Its probably a play on words but it definitely will be good enough...
A couple of days ago my 7yr old jumped on my toe and the nail just flew off, despite that i managed 100k last week and back on it again now. Still the usual numbness in fingers and toes but i expect that will last another couple weeks.
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Kids! Cruel to be kind care.

I've started commuting to work again but struggling with drop bar shifters. No strength in my fingers. It must've all seeped up to my shoulders. All rhat shoving uphill.
Dakkar

Post by Dakkar »

Trep,

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Putting all the details, description and emotion into words must have been as big an endeavour as the ride. Wonderful.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

https://highlandtrail550.weebly.com/2022.html

37 completions, 28 scratches and one DQ.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I assume the DQ is the ?
Why the DQ?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

38 folks showing as finished (plus Pete MacNeil but he didn't) on Trackleaders and 37 completion times on the HT site. Looks Like Carl Hopps is on the Trackleaders finished list but not on the HT list. Looking at the map he seems to have done the route so must be DQ'd...
landel

Post by landel »

Fantastic write ups, really enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing :-bd