Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Re: North Lakes Spring Break - 19-20th March

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm still in, and +1 I think.
Meg Pugh

Post by Meg Pugh »

Yup - I'm in for this, looks great - lots of planning gone in to it :)
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

I’m in, booked the Friday off work to travel up, and will find a campsite for the Friday night
Holgateeng

Post by Holgateeng »

I'm still on for this :-bd
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Still hoping to attend
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I've have decided I'm a not fit enought or will not be prepared. I've decided to save the fuel money for going to WRT.

Also weather lore also predicts lots of it & excitement with the Ides of March...
sorry Guys..

#BlameTheWeatherWitch
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Sorry to hear folks can't make it. Forecast is looking pretty good just now :smile: How do you freeze/lock it in as it is now?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

15° and sunny on Saturday :o There must be some kind of mistake.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:53 am 15° and sunny on Saturday :o There must be some kind of mistake.
That's torn it......... :???:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I'm driving up from soton on Wednesday night after work.

Anyone fancy a cheeky camp on the Friday night?
I will likely be in the buttermere area with the camera, but can move
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I'm getting the train up to Settle early Thursday morning and riding up to be in Keswick Friday night. Looking forward to putting some faces to names.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi all. Sadly I think I'm gonna have to sit out of thus one. Ceiling wallpaper calls and though the missus has been told about it, I'm certain I'll be in big trouble if I go mtb-ing for 2 days. Probably go for a local ride and if feeling confident enough might even get the mtb out :roll:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

car is packed for a long weekend of wild camping, landscape photography, and bikepacking

hopefully the car will behave. :lol:
see you all saturday morning. :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:46 pm I've have decided I'm a not fit enought or will not be prepared. I've decided to save the fuel money for going to WRT.

Also weather lore also predicts lots of it & excitement with the Ides of March...
sorry Guys..

#BlameTheWeatherWitch
it looks like I can make it after all... :-bd
Saturday, early drive to get up to Keswick... cos I finish late'ish on Friday night. :smile:
should be there by 9am....
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

Really looking forward to this.

Quick question, Is the general consensus that people will be getting lunch and dinner in a pub? Just wondering how much food to bring.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Final update/info - hopefully everyone coming will still have access to see this.

START: 10am. Previous info stated Kat's Kitchen next to Keswick Bikes, but it won't be open til 10am. The best bet for earlier food/coffee is The Filling Station Cafe, Crosthwaite Rd, CA13 5PR, (NY264243) https://www.facebook.com/TheFillingStat ... e_internal
I'll be at the Filling Station at 9.30 and will then roll out past Kat's Kitchen, following the GPX at 10am.

ROUTE: There are a few places where the final GPX varies from the annotated map I shared. Both the GPX and the map can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/fold ... ZBfi-6_Lu7

1. In Keswick, the GPX heads through town, past Alpkit. The map steers clear of the town centre.
2. In Wythop Woods (alongside Bassenthwaite lake #nottheonlylakeinthelakedistrict), the GPX now avoids the climb up into the forest.
3. In Whinlatter, the GPX now includes a bit more of the 'blue' MTB trail and avoids crossing the road and climbing up around Whinlatter Fell.
EDIT - Forestry work in Whainlatter has closed the last section of fire road. If following the GPX, you'll arrive at a new metal gate across the fire road - take the right turn onto the 'shared trail' just before the gate and you'll arrive on the road at the Visitor Centre (cafe). Turn left on the road and you'll rejoin the GPX route after 400m. If using the map.........use the map :wink:

If you just want to follow the GPX, ignore the map. If you fancy adding in some extra bits, use the map as suggestions. I can answer any queries at the start.

FODDER: I'll probably carry a stove and a bit of food - just because. There are lots of places to get food (see the map), though few shops (Braithwaite, which is 1 mile off route, and Lorton). To add to those on the map, there's also the cafe at Whinlatter Visitor Centre and the The Bassenthwaite Lake Station cafe, where you can lunch on the Orient Express https://bassenthwaitelakestation.com/?f ... a90YxEq8sI - unlikely as it's always full.
I reckon I'll aim to have an early afternoon stop at the Sun Inn, Bassenthwaite and evening meal at the Kirkstile Inn, Loweswater. All depends on the pace, but the route is easily adapted to suit appetites.

Some snaps from the final 10Kms, on Tuesday:
ImageIMG_20220315_141549-01
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Cheers for the final info, really looking forward to this. Given the frankly unbelievable forecast, I've packed the van and will be heading over this morning - my plan was always to stay for a couple of days after anyway. My saffa mate Morne is coming over separately.

Since Lorton village store is the only shop on the route, I had a closer look - it's quite small, so don't expect a supermarket, but looks like they have nice local stuff, and a bit of a café (well coffee at least), so could be an option for an al fresco lunch. Only open 10-5, but that shouldn't be a problem (unless something goes very wrong!).
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Lorton Village Shop - lovely folk, but think artisan local produce and 2040 prices (based on current rate of inflation). They do coffee, pies and cake though.
Braithwaite may be a better bet, if needed.
Or #packmoresh.......
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Had to do a last minute swap for duty manager so won't be there, hence you lot all getting sun burned, looking forward to the tales :-bd
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I’ll be there.

Dubs hut tonight
😆
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:04 am
ledburner wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:46 pm I've have decided I'm a not fit enought or will not be prepared. I've decided to save the fuel money for going to WRT.

sorry Guys..

#BlameTheWeatherWitch
it looks like I can make it after all... :-bd
Saturday, early drive to get up to Keswick... cos I finish late'ish on Friday night. :smile:
should be there by 9am....
I'm driving up and collecting Ton. we don't mKe the start on time, we'll take first the short cut to skkidaw House and miss out mungrisdale or ( second option wait for you at windlarter cafe :grin: :lol: )
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Also put as my mum was looking after the kids and has covid .
Weather is going to be amazing as well proper pissed off
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

I’m camped up at Castlerigg, will roll down into town tomorrow morning, aiming for the filling station cafe for 9:30, or Kats Cafe at 10 depending on amount of pre-ride faffing
ton

Post by ton »

i will be there in time hopefully with Dan.
just letting you all know i will be riding round on the lanes and taking it slowly/easy.
the ticker is stuck in AF again and anything strenuous leaves me in a bit of a sorry state.
i shall bump into you along the route at the watering holes.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Have fun, looking forward to your stories and some pictures!