London to Brighton charity ride

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

London to Brighton charity ride

Post by ootini »

The company I now work for are very keen on promoting outdoor activities, especially those events supporting charities, as such I've just been told about the London to Brighton charity ride on September 11th. I was curious if anyone was planning to ride it ?

www.londonbrightoncycle.co.uk
Bearbonesnorm

Re: London to Brighton charity ride

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Never taken part but many pictures I've seen would seem to suggest, it's a procession of people pushing bikes up hills :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:45 pm Never taken part but many pictures I've seen would seem to suggest, it's a procession of people pushing bikes up hills :wink:
I'll fit right in... :grin:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

It's a great event celebrating cycling for everyone. I did it many times at the dawn of my riding career and then it felt like a real achievement. Do it for basking in the achievement of the lesser mortals around you.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Yep what Dave says. I've done it a few times and it's a good day out. Great fun at the start and the route is dead easy with only one real hill which is not, you know, like a Welsh hill.

But ... there is always a but. The last time I did it they stopped allowing you to come back on the train with your bike. So you had to put it in a truck and then go get the train and meet the truck and find that someone has piled about 400 bikes on top of your bike and buckled both wheels so then you decide never to do it again.

I don't know if it's changed lately, as I last did it in 2007 or maybe 2008 ... but getting back to the start was such a cluster so I chucked it.

Actually, I've just checked the FAQ on the website. Looks like these days you pay a chunk and get to ride in a bus back to Clapham Common .... then you need to get home. And Dave, you will be a long way from home.

Is transport provided back to London at the end of the ride?
Bike and coach transport will be available back from Brighton to Clapham Common at an extra cost of
£35 which must be paid in advance. Anyone booked onto bike transport must check in their bike onto
the clearly marked van in Brighton where coach departure times will be displayed.
I'm just going outside ...
ootini

Post by ootini »

TBH Tim, I was thinking of bringing the Mrs and son with me, they'd drive and have a day in London, stay in Brighton for a day or two. Make a mini holiday of it. I can imagine your bike getting a beating would put you off doing it again.

Thanks for all the info and advice all.