Scottish Winter Bivvy

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Scottish Winter Bivvy

Post by fatbikephil »

Anyone got any ideas for this?
I keep thinking of places and then discounting them as they are all local to me. Thought about Bothies as the weather will be rubbish probably but a large group turning up to a bothy is probably a no no. Or even a small group. I've thought of some non mba huts but they are all a bit small. So still drawing a blank.....
11th / 12th OK for me though :-bd
All suggestions considered
ScotRoutes

Re: Scottish Winter Bivvy

Post by ScotRoutes »

11th/12th would probably be OK for me but I can't commit given my wifes health/treatment.

My record of turning up to these is pretty poor so I wouldn't go out of your way to make it easier for me :lol:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:58 pm Anyone got any ideas for this?
I keep thinking of places and then discounting them as they are all local to me. Thought about Bothies as the weather will be rubbish probably but a large group turning up to a bothy is probably a no no. Or even a small group. I've thought of some non mba huts but they are all a bit small. So still drawing a blank.....
The Scottish winter bivi destination has traditionally been a bothy with the proviso that everyone brings equipment to be able to camp out if required. The date is usually the same as the Welsh one set by Stu.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ray Young wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:35 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:58 pm Anyone got any ideas for this?
The Scottish winter bivi destination has traditionally been a bothy with the proviso that everyone brings equipment to be able to camp out if required. The date is usually the same as the Welsh one set by Stu.
Right I'll get me thinking cap on (again). Others feel free to chip in with any suggestions.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I was hoping someone would start this thread. I would have started it myself, but as usual the Scottish and Yorkshire sections will be competing for my affections (read: hoping I go for the other one :lol: ). Scotland currently in the lead by virtue of having a thread. One of these years I'll pull my finger out and organise a Northumbrian WB and see whether I can unite the clans, or whether I'll just end up going for a ride on my own. Probably not this year though, unless we get desperate.
ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:04 pm 11th/12th would probably be OK for me but I can't commit given my wifes health/treatment.

My record of turning up to these is pretty poor so I wouldn't go out of your way to make it easier for me :lol:
Conversely, perhaps we should make it easier for Colin to make a last minute decision, though of course no pressure. I'm happy to travel, particularly if there's a train option.

I'll have a think.
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Probably about time I actually make it along to one.

Happy to travel and 11/12 works ok for me.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I’m up for it, depending on where in Scotland suits most people. I’m in Perth.

There’s a non-MBA Bothy out Dunkeld way which would be quiet enough I think.

I did a trip recently to Faindouran (Glen Avon) which was pretty good, room for quite a few in the attic, but you’d need to haul in fuel for the fire.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ian wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:31 pm There’s a non-MBA Bothy out Dunkeld way which would be quiet enough I think.
I did think of Sarahs bothy, hopefully the bog tastic trail to it will put normal folk off and there is an adjacent wood if we do need to camp.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Dates and proposed venue sound good to me. :-bd
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Are southerners (Cumbrian) tolerated at these dos? Will bring coal.......
And a tent
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

boxelder wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:35 pm Are southerners (Cumbrian) tolerated at these dos? Will bring coal.......
And a tent
You'll be made more than welcome.

I may come along but not committing yet.
Senor Charrleh

Post by Senor Charrleh »

Depends if i pull my finger out and finish building this new bike.. it's just silly wee jobs to do on it now but i keep putting them off.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Right
Sarahs Bothy, a bit northwest of Dunkeld, Saturday 11th Dec confirmed. I can work out a route and post it up somehow, at some point, although locals knowledge appreciated :grin:
There were some monster swamps on the route I used a few years back....
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:07 am There were some monster swamps on the route I used a few years back....
Let's hope they're frozen over.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

So who's planning on going?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Me :lol:
Not sure by what means / which bike / route etc.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I am a strong probable.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I’ll be there.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
robbie

Post by robbie »

https://www.komoot.com/tour/574437021?s ... 2G&ref=wtd
This is probably the most direct route and best for keeping the feet dry. Avoids the worst bit of Buckny burn that is usually a swamp. If you want a longer route then head around the top lochan Ossineach Beag although this can also be a swamp on the east side.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Please help to safeguard this special place by not posting information, especially PICTURES, on

the INTERNET. The Bothy has been trashed before and a great deal of work has gone into repairing the damage.

This is not a secret place, so let your friends, and RESPONSIBLE Bothy users know about it, but please not ONLINE.

Thank you
This notice was pinned up when I called in there. Has that particular ship well and truly sailed now?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Sailed. docked, unloaded, reloaded and on it's way back to port.
robbie

Post by robbie »

https://www.komoot.com/tour/574504138?s ... Vp&ref=wtd
Bearlegged wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:04 pm
Please help to safeguard this special place by not posting information, especially PICTURES, on

the INTERNET. The Bothy has been trashed before and a great deal of work has gone into repairing the damage.

This is not a secret place, so let your friends, and RESPONSIBLE Bothy users know about it, but please not ONLINE.

Thank you
This notice was pinned up when I called in there. Has that particular ship well and truly sailed now?
Good point. Updated and name removed from file :-bd https://www.komoot.com/tour/574504138?s ... Vp&ref=wtd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:20 pm Sailed. docked, unloaded, reloaded and on it's way back to port.
Ah well. Hope it's not suffering as a result.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

robbie wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:15 pm https://www.komoot.com/tour/574437021?s ... 2G&ref=wtd
This is probably the most direct route and best for keeping the feet dry. Avoids the worst bit of Buckny burn that is usually a swamp. If you want a longer route then head around the top lochan Ossineach Beag although this can also be a swamp on the east side.
Cheers Robbie - I had a bit of a mission crossing the burn near the end of that route a few years ago but there seems to be a footbridge now - is that the case?

Sarah's bothy is much like duinish in that its non MBA but well known by locals. I actually think its location spread by word of mouth faster than the internet, and several years ago.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearlegged wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:04 pm

Thank you
I didn't know about it before. When it was mentioned on this thread, it took me about two minutes using Google to find its exact location. So yes.