Clunkers Ride?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Clunkers Ride?

Post by Verena »

Seen this and thought it's a really nice idea: https://www.shiftcyclingculture.com/clunkers-ride
Obviously for me, every time I take out my MTB is a clunkers ride anyway :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Clunkers Ride?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah, a nice idea V. I'm not a fan of instant gratification or disposable products, so that makes a nice change from what we usually see.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

since most of my bike are of made of parts at mostly least 10yrs old I suppose qualify as well. but no local rise for me.. and I have an aversion to mass rides or events.. After doing the great North run in 2003......
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Good idea.
The great thing about worn kit is that it shows one uses it, rather than merely looks at it :wink: .
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'd qualify on two counts. My bike is a clunker. And so am I.

Although, if all the cells in my body are replaced every 7 years then I've actually been reincarnated eight times and am actually (always) less than 7 years old so maybe not a clunker after all.

Then again, I am over three seven eighths of the way through my ninth incarnation, so I'm definitely a clunker within my current seven year cycle.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Great idea, and very much agree with the ethos (despite being on the look out for a shiny new bike at the moment, but we'll leave that out of it :oops: ).

My "pub" bike definitely qualifies as a clunker.

Not sure I have the time/skills/contacts to organise something at short notice, but will see if my local bike recycling place has any interest in organising something - they did a challenge over Easter - it might be up their street.

Coincidentally having seen this thread this morning, I read an article in Singletrack mag at lunchtime which mentions it and Shift Cycling Culture.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Wasn't there (pre pandemic) talk of a clunkers (or unsuitable) bike to ride to Bear Bones towers for a camp in the field and a bit of a knees up?
Or did I dream that?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Wasn't there (pre pandemic) talk of a clunkers (or unsuitable) bike to ride to Bear Bones towers for a camp in the field and a bit of a knees up?
Or did I dream that?
No, you didn't dream it John but the world kinda turned to sh1t before I could get something properly sorted.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ledburner wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:18 am since most of my bike are of made of parts at mostly least 10yrs old I suppose qualify as well. but no local rise for me.. and I have an aversion to mass rides or events.. After doing the great North run in 2003......
So are we doing a ride Dan... I have 2 clunkers now made up of used parts :smile:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

next week end I may be free. ia the minute I've got a stiff ne t and it's my weekend on. it has eased up a bit with Vit I d tiger balm. when I rolled out of bed, to get Vit I, I looked like a robot.. and felt 30yrs older...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ledburner wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:07 am next week end I may be free. ia the minute I've got a stiff ne t and it's my weekend on. it has eased up a bit with Vit I d tiger balm. when I rolled out of bed, to get Vit I, I looked like a robot.. and felt 30yrs older...
Oh dear... Saturday and Sunday am working (day then a night) so I might just have to pop out alone during the week. Hope your neck gets better soon...
Verena

Post by Verena »

O dear...seems to be the season for sore necks....
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:01 pm O dear...seems to be the season for sore necks....
Thanks, I have hardly been out on the bike. what would I be like it I was? I think it not the season but the firth decade for sore necks.. :lol:
it improving, vitamin I aka ibruprofen..