YD300 2021

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

YD300 2021

Post by Richard G »

Anyone planning on attending? I'm yet to have a proper shot at it (crashed badly first year, was sick the second year though I did manage to finish), but even so I really enjoyed the terrain... if not the insane wind! :???:

https://riderscyclecentre.com/yd300-200-itt/

I know things could still go wrong in terms of having it happen, but goddamn it would be nice to be able to do something like this again. Not least actually being able to, hopefully, in terms of recovery from smashing up my hip socket.
thenorthwind

Re: YD300 2021

Post by thenorthwind »

Tempted now you mention it. I currently have no ITT plans, and fancy a return to the Dales after doing the Dales Divide last year, but not exactly the same route.

Not too far to travel for me, so fairly low-risk. Would be even easier if I started in Reeth!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just booked my B&B for the night before. Screw it, it's cancellable if the world is against us.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I suppose I ought to given my dismal showing last year :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

This is way beyond me for a weekend but how technical is it?
Just wondering whether it would be a good route to do over a longer period. I know there is a lot of climbing but could it be done with not much MTB experience if willing to walk occasionally? Most of my experience is from trail centres, so fairly predictable. Blue routes are fine and some red (Grizedale) but not others (Gisburn).
Any thoughts?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

whitestone wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:42 am I suppose I ought to given my dismal showing last year :roll:
Same. An absolutely shambolic effort from me last time, first DNF since 2015 BB200 which was my first ITT.

Had a lovely day out though, and a decent night's sleep in the back of the car while it rained outside.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

trogladytes wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:17 am This is way beyond me for a weekend but how technical is it?
Just wondering whether it would be a good route to do over a longer period. I know there is a lot of climbing but could it be done with not much MTB experience if willing to walk occasionally? Most of my experience is from trail centres, so fairly predictable. Blue routes are fine and some red (Grizedale) but not others (Gisburn).
Any thoughts?
Pretty much all of it is very rideable on an mtb. There's one steep/loose descent I can think of but that's walkable. Can't think of much else. The climbs are arguably more techy than the descents.
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:03 pm
trogladytes wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:17 am This is way beyond me for a weekend but how technical is it?
Just wondering whether it would be a good route to do over a longer period. I know there is a lot of climbing but ...

...Any thoughts?
Pretty much all of it is very rideable on an mtb. There's one steep/loose descent I can think of but that's walkable. Can't think of much else. The climbs are arguably more techy than the descents.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Any thoughts?
As Stuart notes on the event page it's just about doable/pleasant on a gravel bike, in fact on the first edition Emma Osenten as the only woman finisher did it on a gravel bike. There's a few rubble descents but they are short lived so even if you walked them you'd lose maybe a minute in time. There's one really tech descent into Gunnerside Gill - I've never ridden it all - but again I think I lost maybe three minutes over the Strava KOM by walking it. The descent off Whernside can be rough and the set steps at the bottom of that are horrible no matter what bike you are on.

On a difficulty scale of 1-10, of the 300km I'd say 285km are 1, 12km are 3/4, 2.5km are 6 and .5km are 9. Completely made up figures but it sort of feels right! Something like 120km are on roads. Three days would be doable in a more touring mode, 4 days would feel very easy.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'll be walking that completely this time. Not taking risks any more.

Other than that, there really isn't anything particularly gnarly that I recall.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

How many tickets are available on this event?? Is it lilely to sell out as I'm still thinking it through with dates.

Only 1 thing I would say to anyone entering is to ensure we stay outdoors as much as possible as we're obviously not through it all yet... and the majority/almost all of the spread is related and happens indoors.

Independent SAGE has been telling govt for wome time it seems about getting workplaces/buildings to better manage ventilation. Finally they (gov.uk) appear to have sent out a reminder and action plan of better ventilation in buildings etc...

Sounds a super tough ITT which means I'll probably be another DNF :sad:
slarge

Post by slarge »

I should be up for this - really enjoyed it last year.

The Strava KOM time for Gunnerside gill I think would need a drone or small rocket - I think I would struggle to get near it throwing my bike down from the top. Definitely a walk in the hills that descent.....
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Presume this is the bit you're talking about? https://www.strava.com/segments/6189412
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

5 minutes for my fastest time. :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

11 minutes 10 seconds for my fastest, I assume I stopped for a rest :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ton

Post by ton »

i have entered. retired from work now so hopefully should have plenty of miles in my legs and be fit enough this year.

if anyone wants to form a slow groupetto it would be appreciated.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Yes, that's the descent on the 300. There's a couple of other descents in the immediate vicinity that are easier to find - you have to just trust that the GPX line will lead you to somewhere you can get down. I think the KOM time was around 3 minutes when I rode it.

You need to have quite a bit in reserve for it, the detritus from the old mining activities that you are riding across is like sharp edged bricks, you really don't want to be falling off!

About 50 seconds into this video is where the usual descent joins the YD300 route. The next 30 seconds are much steeper than it looks. Once you get to just before the cairn it gets much easier. The bit after the building in the video is on the footpath which follows the valley floor, the BW cuts back up a bit higher to follow a wide shelf about halfway up the hillside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDqo-6QoNOc
Verena

Post by Verena »

Oops my finger slipped and I signed up... Never been to the area, probably the most exotic far flung holiday in another country I'll get this year :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

whitestone wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:33 pm The next 30 seconds are much steeper than it looks.
Aye, bits are a challenge to even walk (at least when you're guiding a bike).
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

whitestone wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:33 pm Yes, that's the descent on the 300. There's a couple of other descents in the immediate vicinity that are easier to find - you have to just trust that the GPX line will lead you to somewhere you can get down. I think the KOM time was around 3 minutes when I rode it.

You need to have quite a bit in reserve for it, the detritus from the old mining activities that you are riding across is like sharp edged bricks, you really don't want to be falling off!

About 50 seconds into this video is where the usual descent joins the YD300 route. The next 30 seconds are much steeper than it looks. Once you get to just before the cairn it gets much easier. The bit after the building in the video is on the footpath which follows the valley floor, the BW cuts back up a bit higher to follow a wide shelf about halfway up the hillside.

That looks like fun! I've ridden in that area a few times before, and heard the name mentioned, but somehow haven't ridden down there. Probably one to do in the light :lol:
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:33 pm Yes, that's the descent on the 300. There's a couple of other descents in the immediate vicinity that are easier to find - you have to just trust that the GPX line will lead you to somewhere you can get down. I think the KOM time was around 3 minutes when I rode it.

Bob... How long in your guesstimate would it usually take to walk down it all... please
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I walked from the top (not of the descent in the video - I've ridden that) down to just above the cairn then rode the rest of the segment which ends where it meets the track leading to the old mining building. That took me less than 7 minutes for the whole lot, it's only about 300m distance from top to bottom. From the building onwards it's a wider track - will have been used for the carts to take the lead away - but there's bits of landslides blocking it here and there. It's not all downhill either as it climbs up for about 500m before levelling off then heading towards one of the steepest roads in the Dales - at least you go down it.
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:22 pm I walked from the top (not of the descent in the video - I've ridden that) down to just above the cairn then rode the rest of the segment which ends where it meets the track leading to the old mining building. That took me less than 7 minutes for the whole lot, it's only about 300m distance from top to bottom. From the building onwards it's a wider track - will have been used for the carts to take the lead away - but there's bits of landslides blocking it here and there. It's not all downhill either as it climbs up for about 500m before levelling off then heading towards one of the steepest roads in the Dales - at least you go down it.
Thanks for that Bob... I think I might enter... :smile:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Shaf, it took Sean 11 minutes including sandwich stop, so you’ll be fine😂
redefined_cycles

slarge wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:23 pm Shaf, it took Sean 11 minutes including sandwich stop, so you’ll be fine😂
Lol... I won't tell you how rubbish I am at gnarly stuff like that. Walked up long mynd cos of the vertigo. Then walked it back down cos or this irrational fear that I'll slip sideways. Siblings stood at the bottom laffing their head off :smile: