YD300 2021

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: YD300 2021

Post by Richard G »

whitestone wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:34 pm Absolutely zilch around there Rich - you'd need to head down Coverdale to find any pubs, the furthest one up the dale is at Carlton. There's a water tap by a barn at Woodale (think it's that one) but as the farmer told me - "Looks brown and dirty but we drink it!"
Cheers. Reminds me that there are definite advantages to being fast! :cry:

I guess the best option there would be going off route at Bouthwalte for a quick water top up in Ramsgill. Supposedly a cafe at Scar House Reservoir though.

https://www.howstean.co.uk/eating/scar-house-cafe/

Would open just before I got there, so that's pretty tempting!
techno

Post by techno »

dropped some pins in a google map with cafes and shops.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

You are missing quite a few!

Pub at Buckden
Pub at Cray
There's a café and a shop at Askrigg
Pub at Grinton
Café at Fremington (Dales Bike Centre)
Pub at Arkengarthdale
Pub at Gunnerside (possibly shut)
Pub at Muker
Pub at Stonehouse
The tea van is actually at Ribblehead not Gearstones (that's where she lives!) but you'd pass it anyway.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
techno

Post by techno »

whitestone wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:28 am You are missing quite a few!

Pub at Buckden
Pub at Cray
There's a café and a shop at Askrigg
Pub at Grinton
Café at Fremington (Dales Bike Centre)
Pub at Arkengarthdale
Pub at Gunnerside (possibly shut)
Pub at Muker
Pub at Stonehouse
The tea van is actually at Ribblehead not Gearstones (that's where she lives!) but you'd pass it anyway.
thanks bob :-bd
will add those asap.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Also that Cafe at Scar House Reservoir that I mentioned. Could be useful as there's very little else that isn't significantly off route for a while.

Seeing a big gap between Bainbridge and Ribblehead. Must remember to stock up for that! I do remember that van there... god was that a welcome sight. I'd half expect them to remember me as I just about ate everything they had. :lol:
techno

Post by techno »

Richard G wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:25 pm Also that Cafe at Scar House Reservoir that I mentioned. Could be useful as there's very little else that isn't significantly off route for a while.
can you give me the location rich? im not sure where it is.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

https://www.howstean.co.uk/eating/scar-house-cafe/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/54%C2 ... 99722,778m

I can't place it exactly, looks like it's basically there based on the satellite though.

Edit - Based on this it might be at the car park though: https://www.yorkshirewater.com/media7/2 ... r-walk.pdf

Odd that there's no flat out "here it is!" anywhere.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Just need to book something myself for the night before I think, Friday night in Skipton is pretty lively as Me and Allen found out only a street apart :lol: , looking forward to it this year :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
techno

Post by techno »

Richard G wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:47 am https://www.howstean.co.uk/eating/scar-house-cafe/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/54%C2 ... 99722,778m

I can't place it exactly, looks like it's basically there based on the satellite though.

Edit - Based on this it might be at the car park though: https://www.yorkshirewater.com/media7/2 ... r-walk.pdf

Odd that there's no flat out "here it is!" anywhere.
ive added that rich, might not be in the right place :lol: And i've added the ones bob suggested + some more.
ton

Post by ton »

looking forward to this at the end of next month.
thinking of doing the 200 road version. just wondering if anyone else is doing it rather than the 300 ?
slarge

Post by slarge »

Is the GPX sent out yet? For any of the routes?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

slarge wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:00 pm Is the GPX sent out yet? For any of the routes?
The YD300 route is always the same Steve, if you've deleted it then there's a link from the event webpage. I don't think Stuart's ever sent out the GPX files.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Ah, got last years so I'm good. Maybe I'll do it backwards
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just been doing a bit of route homework and noted a few minor anomalies in the gpx track which I remember from 2016....
On the Bridleway above Niddale the route cuts a corner from the official ROW (0821 7791) I recall what's on the ground is clear but the GPX takes you off this a bit.
On the Bridleway going east long Wensleydale north of Carperby it twice diverts of the 'line'/ ROW - just follow your nose.
In Dentdale it seems to follow a short section of public footpath. I recall getting here in 2016 (at 5am) and looking at the stile and thinking 'nah' and just went on the road.

Fortnight tomorrow so plenty of time for this heat wave to dissipate and the rain to come down :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

htrider wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:42 am In Dentdale it seems to follow a short section of public footpath. I recall getting here in 2016 (at 5am) and looking at the stile and thinking 'nah' and just went on the road.
I've always gone along the road, I'm usually hitting there at an unsociable hour and there's a campsite in one of the fields. I have mentioned it to Stuart but he's never bothered to change it.

The other two are just a case of following what's on the ground - above Nidderdale there isn't really any other option, it's either track or knee deep heather. That section above Woo Gill is either left then straight on or straight on then left, very much swings and roundabouts. The marked BW going towards the disused hut is just straight lines and doesn't exist on the ground.
slarge

Post by slarge »

And don't think that the campsite in Dentdale will have a tap. It doesn't. The tap for the campsite is on the side of a farmhouse 1/2mile down the road. Brownish water but OK to drink.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

whitestone wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:19 pm
htrider wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:42 am In Dentdale it seems to follow a short section of public footpath. I recall getting here in 2016 (at 5am) and looking at the stile and thinking 'nah' and just went on the road.
I've always gone along the road, I'm usually hitting there at an unsociable hour and there's a campsite in one of the fields. I have mentioned it to Stuart but he's never bothered to change it.
Had a really nasty crash there there the first year I did it. Wish I'd stayed on the road. :(
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just had a squint at the 200 mile road ride - looks alright that and only 6000 m of climbing :grin:
ton

Post by ton »

ust had a squint at the 200 mile road ride - looks alright that and only 6000 m of climbing :grin:

i am having a go at the road route. i am waiting for my 2nd hip replacing at present. and it has been sore whenever i have to do any HAB.
and i know both these routes well and i will deffo have a load of HAB on the 300 route.
and 180 miles offroad is far tougher than 200 miles on road.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ton wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:29 pm
ust had a squint at the 200 mile road ride - looks alright that and only 6000 m of climbing :grin:

i am having a go at the road route. i am waiting for my 2nd hip replacing at present. and it has been sore whenever i have to do any HAB.
and i know both these routes well and i will deffo have a load of HAB on the 300 route.
and 180 miles offroad is far tougher than 200 miles on road.
Ah hence the 'wanted XL road bike' :-bd
I think your fargo with big apples will be tool here as there are some wicked descents on that route
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

If anyone is looking for a ticket, send me a message :-bd
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

My neck has not yet recovered after the HT550 so another ticket available. - If anyone needs one, please IM me.
Last edited by stevewaters on Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Sorry to hear that Steve, whats the prognosis?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Same here Steve, that sucks :(
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Another one bites the dust, literally in this case. I don't even have a good excuse really. I never thought it would come to this but I've got so much going on at home with various DIY projects around the building work in the kitchen that finally started this week (it would be this week wouldn't it), unusually stressful work situations (which I've been dealing with while the wall under my feet is knocked out and the dust covering my keyboard as I'm typing), and trying to keep my OCD partner sane while I and various other people knock bits of the house down around her and cover the rest of the house, and I mean all of it (hence literally biting the dust), in a layer of dust. I've barely had the time to ride recently, unless it involves a trip Screwfix. I got up at 5.30 last Sunday and knocked out an 80 mile road ride before going back to more DIY, which convinced me that the YD300 might be a go-er, for a while. But I don't have the energy, mental, or physical, to properly prepare for a bikepacking trip, and I can't justify 4 nights away from home at the moment - I was going to combine it with a trip to visit my sister, who's going back to work next week after having my niece, who's nearly 1 and I've met once, so I'm going to do that at the weekend instead. Priorities.

TL;DR Sorry for the brain dump, not doing the YD300 :roll:

Looks like there's plenty of spare tickets that were before mine, but anyone would be welcome to take my place.

Thanks techno and Bob for putting the list of resupply points together, very useful, and still will be in the future. As recently as last weekend, I put them all, straight from techno's map, into a GPX of POIs to load into Viewranger (should work with other apps/devices too), so I'll leave this link here in case it's of use to anyone, fill yer boots:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/023ycr3rhfmcp ... s.gpx?dl=0

Good luck if you're still riding, sorry I'm not going to meet some of you.