Rhayader Campsite/Parking

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

samwise

Rhayader Campsite/Parking

Post by samwise »

Hi Everyone,

Planning a few days in Mid Wales (fingers crossed) in June.

Starting in Rhayader - Can anyone recommend a campsite for the night there and anywhere we could leave a vehicle for 4 days?

Thanks,
Sam
benp1

Re: Rhayader Campsite/Parking

Post by benp1 »

Gigrin has a campsite. Also have red kite feeding on site. You could probably ask them about leaving a vehicle there
Verena

Post by Verena »

https://independenthostels.co.uk/member ... bunkhouse/

Been there twice, owners had literally changed the week I was there last, but worth asking, they were really nice before. They did a bit of camping before as well as the bunkhouse. They let us bivvy in the grounds for next to nothing, and use the bunkhouse facilities. I think they thought we were a bit strange for not wanting to sleep inside, as we were there anyway and the house was empty :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's a couple of car parks in town that are free and I suspect you could safely leave a car. Off the top of my head, best would probably be on your right as you head out of town going towards the Elan valley visitor centre.
May the bridges you burn light your way
chris n

Post by chris n »

I think the Wyeside campsite by the river still takes tents, but they seem to have converted more and more spaces into hardstanding recently. Convenient if you want to walk into town. There's also Elan Oaks up by the Elan Valley hotel, a couple of miles west of Rhayader.
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:43 pm Off the top of my head, best would probably be on your right as you head out of town going towards the Elan valley visitor centre.
Yep, right by the bottom of the cycle track that goes up to the Elan Valley. There's also a few spaces a bit closer to the Triangle Inn in Cwmdauddwr, opposite the old school and church. Both fill up quickly though.

Don't park in the Smithfield in the middle of town unless you're sure there's not a market on. :wink:
samwise

Post by samwise »

Thanks for all the tips everyone :-bd