#jennride 2021 26th June

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: #jennride 2021 26th June

Post by Richard G »

whitestone wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:04 am Trying to figure out where would be suitable for bivvying - the "natural" place for an early evening meal would be Langdale but you then head into the Ambleside area where there isn't much scope to be hidden.
I'll just cycle until something vaguely appropriate shows up. I'll bring food just in case though.

I think lately I tend to worry more about being able to get to a town in the morning than in the evening.

Edit - Looking at the map, 65 miles would do just fine for me day one.
Last edited by Richard G on Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chew

Post by Chew »

ton wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:17 am Chew, how do you fancy nursing a old bloke round?
Would be an honour Tony

You're buying the first round though :wink:
Chew

Post by Chew »

Was thinking of heading over to the Newfield Inn in Seathwaite.
Proper old skool boozer

Option to take a short cut back up to Cockley Beck, and head back from there as I dont have 100 miles in my legs at the moment.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm almost definitely going to take that shortcut from north from Seathwaite. I really fancy heading up and over Walna Scar but will take the shortcut to save some time.

Didn't know about that pub in Seathwaite, sounds good!

Having recently picked up a full suss I'm thinking about taking that so I can enjoy some of the descents more. Otherwise I'd be on a rigid Solaris
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

benp1 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:34 pm I'm almost definitely going to take that shortcut from north from Seathwaite. I really fancy heading up and over Walna Scar but will take the shortcut to save some time.
What's all this madness? People aren't even out there yet and they're chopping bits of the route out! :lol:

Do we have some sort of hard deadline on the second day or something? I wouldn't have thought 100 miles over two days would be too insane, even with a decent amount of hills.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Richard G wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:37 pm
benp1 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:34 pm I'm almost definitely going to take that shortcut from north from Seathwaite. I really fancy heading up and over Walna Scar but will take the shortcut to save some time.
What's all this madness? People aren't even out there yet and they're chopping bits of the route out! :lol:

Do we have some sort of hard deadline on the second day or something? I wouldn't have thought 100 miles over two days would be too insane, even with a decent amount of hills.
Fewreasons
1 - these are Lakes miles. Everything is bigger and harder than you imagine at the outset!
2 - i'm planning to drive down to the South Coast on Sunday night so don't want to get back too late on the 2nd day. I'll already be tired I suspect
3 - I was planning on a relaxing ride with maybe a few pints involved so cutting bits out gives more time for that...

Not definite, but likely I'd say
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

benp1 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:59 pm 1 - these are Lakes miles. Everything is bigger and harder than you imagine at the outset!
2 - i'm planning to drive down to the South Coast on Sunday night so don't want to get back too late on the 2nd day. I'll already be tired I suspect
3 - I was planning on a relaxing ride with maybe a few pints involved so cutting bits out gives more time for that...

Not definite, but likely I'd say
Yeah, I'm aware of the terrain... definitely not my first rodeo up there!

I couldn't imagine trying to drive back on the Sunday. I've got a hotel booked a couple of hours away and I'll do the rest on Monday morning.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

You've always been able to be "economical with the route" with the Jennride, entirely up to you how you do it. I skipped a descent one year because I knew it was a damp greasy ramp of set stones that was rim ding central.

The Eskdale section is mostly road apart from the descent into Eskdale and the climb out which will involve a bit of hike-a-bike.

A more interesting shortcut is rather than follow the road up Dunnerdale from The Newfield, follow the given route for a couple of Km then cut back and follow the BW that climbs past Wallowbarrow Crag and runs round towards Harter Fell to join the return route.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

whitestone wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:51 pm You've always been able to be "economical with the route" with the Jennride, entirely up to you how you do it. I skipped a descent one year because I knew it was a damp greasy ramp of set stones that was rim ding central.
All pretty much sight unseen for me. Even if I had ridden a lot of this, I wouldn't remember it.

I don't even remember the stuff I do regularly... starting to suspect something isn't quite right with how I store memories! :shock:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

whitestone wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:51 pm A more interesting shortcut is rather than follow the road up Dunnerdale from The Newfield, follow the given route for a couple of Km then cut back and follow the BW that climbs past Wallowbarrow Crag and runs round towards Harter Fell to join the return route.
That looks like a good idea, cheers Bob

From Wrynose I'd probably head straight back to Ambleside if I was looking short on time. The loopy bits around Langdale and Grasmere are lovely but would add a fair bit more time on

Shame there's no off road way (that I can see) to make the most of the descent from the top of Wrynose

A few years ago I did some of the Jennride route but the weather was HORRIFIC and we were so behind on time because we were cycling up and down streams rather than paths.
ton

Post by ton »

Chew, you have a date then mate.
Sounds perfect.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Richard G wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:37 pm What's all this madness? People aren't even out there yet and they're chopping bits of the route out! :lol:
Why for me?
I'm not as fit as I should be.
I've not ridden as much as I should have.
I struggled on the WRT in places on the big hills.
So, using the #Jennride as a base and help from a several Bear Boners on here, I've worked out what I think/hope is nice light weight gravel bike friendly inner loop of 63.3 miles and 6,444ft of ups and downs, for a nice chilled out, pub stopping 2 day route that I'm doing with 4 mates who don't really fancy any the big mountain passes either.
We have nothing to prove by sticking to a line set by someone else.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Richard G wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:14 am Anyone got any decent (not too technical) 4+ hour rides in this area? I just remembered that I'm actually getting there a couple of days early so I can do some extra riding.
Sam Houghton challenge. The hard bit is the hab to Garburn pass.

I work on Saturday until 3pm so not sure what to do now 😬
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

its madness to walk up Garburn pass rather than ride down it never understood why the Sam routes does this - to manage the risk of having hundreds of riders descending it ?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

JohnClimber wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:25 pm We have nothing to prove by sticking to a line set by someone else.
Sure, but by the same token you could be going at any point with friends on whatever route you want to do, rather than taking up a space on an organised ride (that someone else who does actually want to do the route as intended could be taking).

I make the same argument for rides like the YD300, BB200 etc. Obviously things like the WRT (both summer and winter) are ideal for that sort of thing instead.
Javi wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:48 am Sam Houghton challenge. The hard bit is the hab to Garburn pass.
Hmm. Not sure I like the sound of "challenge"! Not least before a fairly hard ride, but I'll have a look. :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:56 pm its madness to walk up Garburn pass rather than ride down it never understood why the Sam routes does this - to manage the risk of having hundreds of riders descending it ?
Garburn was "sanitised" a few years ago, the west side has mostly bedded in but the east side washed out again. Not sure why that was but the same happened with Walna Scar so it's possibly orographic rain related (I'll let you look up the posh word :lol: ). So it could be that when the Sam Houghton was originally planned that the whole of Garburn was rideable.

Both Garburn and Walna Scar are technically unclassified roads so legally Cumbria Highways are obliged to maintain them but I dare say they aren't prioritised in the current climate.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Never seen garburn sanitised (was a local for a few years )but do remember when they sanitised walna and it seemed a daft decision.
You would have strong legs to clean either of those even if sanitised
.orographic
Thanks for that going to be hard to drop it into conversation but I do like it
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Richard G wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:16 pm Sure, but by the same token you could be going at any point with friends on whatever route you want to do, rather than taking up a space on an organised ride (that someone else who does actually want to do the route as intended could be taking).
We'll be doing 50% of the route, we've all donated to the just giving page, rather than just pay the fiver to cover the cost of hiring loos.

I know around 20 doing this ride including you and only 4 are going for the whole loop, the others are already chatting about short cuts.

So you're saying that 75% of everyone doing it shouldn't be there then? :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

JohnClimber wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:44 pm So you're saying that 75% of everyone doing it shouldn't be there then? :wink:
Depends on the intent of the organiser at the end of the day, but yeah, arguably. If they've intended it as a "do whatever you want ride" then all good... but by the same token there's probably not much point in limiting numbers to any great extent if that's how it's going to play out.

I appreciate that things are somewhat different to the norm right now though, so I understand people wanting to take any opportunity to just meet up.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Rich, it's not an ITT and everyone is free to do as much or as little of the published route as they like.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

whitestone wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:23 pm Rich, it's not an ITT and everyone is free to do as much or as little of the published route as they like.
Fair enough, as I said. It's down to the organiser as to what they intend their ride to be.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Richard G wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:37 pm
While I’m intending to ride the full distance(ish), I’m going to do some minor alterations like skipping the red route climbing in Grizedale after the visitor centre which from regularly riding, I don’t envision as being fun on a loaded bike.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

AndyTheBikeGuy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:02 am While I’m intending to ride the full distance(ish), I’m going to do some minor alterations like skipping the red route climbing in Grizedale after the visitor centre which from regularly riding, I don’t envision as being fun on a loaded bike.
I'm trying to remember if I've done that bit before. I'll have to have a look on Veloviewer.

Edit - Some of it, apparently.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Surge testing started in Cumbria yesterday, due to a spike in Delta variant infections. Be extra vigilant if you're heading to the Lakes.