Future plans.....??

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alan63

Re: Future plans.....??

Post by Alan63 »

As a family, we are trying to visit all the Scottish inhabited islands. Hoping to bikepack to a couple of "new" islands. Gigha and Lismore are the targets. Went to Orkney the last 2 years and we love the place. Perhaps get back there. Eldest son is desperate to fly on world's shortest route.

Other than that, get back to munro bagging.
BaM 2021
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

TGO Challenge in May but can't see that happening, and I want another crack at my Argyll loop I had to blob on due to injury last year.

Finding the motivation to plan anything is the hardest part at the moment for me.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Badger Divide for me. I’ll be doing it solo, either before the midges arrive (depending on whether Covid-19 travel restrictions are still in place in the Spring) or else I’ll be waiting until later in the year when they’ve disappeared! The only other firm plan I have is to carry on with the BAM challenge, my fourth year of doing so.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Supernova wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:01 pm I’m hoping to do this in June:

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1403437

It’s a mash up of bits of the Highland Trail 550 and An Turas Mor to make a loop so I can return to the car (or train in FW if practical).

If anyone’s familiar with any part of these trails I’d be very grateful for any experience!

I’m thinking 5/6 days with a night in the YH in Ullapool if open as a luxury treat half way round.
The Ceilidh Place bunkhouse and bar in Ullapool was OK last time I was up there a couple of years ago
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It’s a mash up of bits of the Highland Trail 550 and An Turas Mor to make a loop so I can return to the car (or train in FW if practical).

If anyone’s familiar with any part of these trails I’d be very grateful for any experience!

I’m thinking 5/6 days with a night in the YH in Ullapool if open as a luxury treat half way round.
Is there a reason you've decided to ride it clockwise? The descent to the Causeway at Fisherfield is one of the highlights* of the HT550 route, Having ridden the HT550 I'd say the route works better in the correct direction.

*There are too many to list really but the single-track descent to Fort A is also a gem (doubly so as I was going flat out to get a pizza before they closed) - which you'll be pushing up :sad:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:59 pm

Is there a reason you've decided to ride it clockwise? The descent to the Causeway at Fisherfield is one of the highlights* of the HT550 route, Having ridden the HT550 I'd say the route works better in the correct direction.

*There are too many to list really but the single-track descent to Fort A is also a gem (doubly so as I was going flat out to get a pizza before they closed) - which you'll be pushing up :sad:
That is exactly the kind of on the ground information I was looking for. I shall reverse the route forth with!
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

I have a rough idea of a route I would like to do a definite over compensation for the last year .

Train to Thurso ride to Dunnet Head then across the top to Durness catch ferry to get across to Cape Wrath then back and onto Sandwood Bay for a day or two then get to Oykel Bridge to do HT 550 in reverse to Cannich pop down the road to Tommich and join the HT route going the right way to Fort A . Then onto Callender on the An Turas Mor route I would like to get to Edinburgh from Callender to pick up the Great North trail to somewhere near Manchester then somehow into North Wales to do Stuart's Offa's Dyke route to Chepstow or more likely to Forest of Dean then home to Malvern .
That should be a bit of an adventure and I should be able to get a few BAMs in on route ! I won't be doing it this year as it's got to be a May trip and need to do a bit of riding .
There are quite a few railway stations for bail out options thankfully.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I would like to try and ride the HT550 with Joe this year, perhaps in May if we can do that then. We won't be doing it fast though! I had a vague idea that we could do this so that we finished up just before the group start this year and then we could get to meet a lot of people that we only know through here or FB. I also thought that it might work for Joe to set up a little stall for his shop at an event like that and sell directly (with full permission of course). Who knows if that will happen though - things aren't looking very promising at the moment.

We also have a big trip down under planned so that Joe can meet his wee half siblings in Australia. Naturally we would take the bikes and do some sort of journey there too. I would also like to visit New Zealand while we are in the neighbourhood. We have friends out there who ride horses in the wilds and the photos they post on FB are incredible. So I want some of that.

It's a massive balance at the moment between remaining hopeful that we will be able to travel again and not getting our hopes up too high. The Oz trip is really massive as I think it would help Joe deal with his dad's death last year, so it's been tough that we have to just wait and see with that one.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Not so much a plan, more of a resolution...

Since moving to Aviemore, I've tended to remain local for most of my riding, even most of my bivvies have started from home. That's partly due to having so much on my doorstep but it's also an amount of laziness and actually an anxiety I didn't used to have about driving. I think the restrictions have brought it home to me in a way.

So, I'm determined to resolve that when I can. I even have a campervan so I'm well set up for exploring further afield already. Who knows, I might even make another trip to Wales.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

This year will be 10 years since my Tour Divide ride so I want too head somewhere on the second Friday in June.

Last May I was intending to ride the Great North Trail from Cape Wrath to home but that plan was abandoned. June will be midge season so unsure if I want too risk it then. I need too come up with a plan.

All being well I should have had the jab by then which will give me a bit more confidence but what will be open?
Loki

Post by Loki »

I am hoping to do a trip to France this July to watch the start of the TCR, looking at the immunisation progress I am not sure it is happening yet, plus I am still getting my phat arse in order.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31600255
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Loki - we were supposed to watch the start of the TCR last summer as part of a longer holiday but that was cancelled of course. We were talking about it again only last week but have decided to wait and see. If we have had our jabs and world seems safer we might book a last minute ferry and go over otherwise we will give it a miss. Herself as been to the start of all but one TCR(2019) and involved with the FB group and she would like to go - but not at any cost.

For my June trip I am thinking of either Pembrokeshire area which I do not know very well or a Barmouth to Yarmouth trip. Need to plan something and make a decision, sometimes being retired I just prevaricate as no stress on time to do something at a set time.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For my June trip I am thinking of either Pembrokeshire area which I do not know very well or a Barmouth to Yarmouth trip. Need to plan something and make a decision, sometimes being retired I just prevaricate as no stress on time to do something at a set time.
There's a N/S Divide route somewhere Kevin that goes Aberystyth to Southwold. When I've looked, it always appeared like it might be a good un.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/North-South-Di ... 178222162X
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

That does look good Stu and, from Kevin's pov, goes through Derbyshire but Barmouth to Yarmouth does roll off the tongue well :-bd
Pembrokeshire not best for MTB but the road riding is good and the scenery brilliant. A few years ago I did a little ride around (as close as possible) the perimeter of Pembrokeshire on what would now be called a gravel bike on quiet lanes, bike paths and bridleways. Took me 3 days at leisurely pace taking in views, cafés and micro-breweries :grin: If you're interested I could probably put my route onto gpx for you Kevin.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Stuart- I recalled the route but could not remember where I saw it or exact start/finish points. Will look at later, thanks. As Pete says, a nice ring too Yarmouth to Barmouth.
Pete - if I go for Pembroke it will be more road based as you say. I am trying too do the Cycling UK 'British Cycle Quest' and I have a route oven ready (!) to collect the clues. Original thought was too get a train to Port Talbot or Swansea but may now ride all the way. Thanks anyway.
Verena

Post by Verena »

psling wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:40 pm That does look good Stu and, from Kevin's pov, goes through Derbyshire but Barmouth to Yarmouth does roll off the tongue well :-bd
Pembrokeshire not best for MTB but the road riding is good and the scenery brilliant. A few years ago I did a little ride around (as close as possible) the perimeter of Pembrokeshire on what would now be called a gravel bike on quiet lanes, bike paths and bridleways. Took me 3 days at leisurely pace taking in views, cafés and micro-breweries :grin: If you're interested I could probably put my route onto gpx for you Kevin.
I'm not Kevin, but that sounds like something I'd be interested in, if you don't mind sharing your gpx? Cheers
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Verena- the Pembrokeshire route or Barmouth to Yarmouth? The latter is an idea but I have yet too actually plan it. You would be welcome too either.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Pembrokeshire please. That would be as much as I would dare dream/hope for this year...but if I catch the weather right it would be gorgeous.
psling

Post by psling »

Verena wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:35 pm Pembrokeshire please. That would be as much as I would dare dream/hope for this year...but if I catch the weather right it would be gorgeous.
I'll settle down with some maps and a mug of tea, fire up the memory banks and plot it out for you :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:17 am
There's a N/S Divide route somewhere Kevin that goes Aberystyth to Southwold. When I've looked, it always appeared like it might be a good un.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/North-South-Di ... 178222162X
I have got a copy of the above book if someone would like it ?
I rode the route in reverse from Southwold to Derbyshire as part of my route up to Glasgow, it was very pleasant, not technical and the Fenns section was unexciting but I love riding in new areas and for that it was good.
I have ridden three of this chaps routes now and enjoyed them all.
The gpx files can be found here ;
https://www.mtbepicsuk.co.uk/gps/

The Southern Way and Smoke Ring are also worth a look.

I have an alteration to make the route better for the Smoke Ring if anyone wants to have a go at that one.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Verena

Post by Verena »

psling wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:06 pm
Verena wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:35 pm Pembrokeshire please. That would be as much as I would dare dream/hope for this year...but if I catch the weather right it would be gorgeous.
I'll settle down with some maps and a mug of tea, fire up the memory banks and plot it out for you :-bd
Brilliant, thank you
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I have an alteration to make the route better for the Smoke Ring if anyone wants to have a go at that one.
Andy - I might be interested in that. Seem to recall Mike saying one section was unpleasant, or maybe it was you, on Strava a few months ago. Unable to recall details. I had not heard of the route before.

I had tracked down the mtbepics website you mentioned and downloaded the route a few days ago. I had bookmarked it many moons ago. With Herself being London based it might make a nice trip for me later in the year.
Robster

Post by Robster »

Hopefully once we’re all allowed out to play I’m looking forward to a CTC route, not far for some but a good enough distance with my lack of fitness

https://www.cyclinguk.org/route/devon-d ... lenge-ride

Beyond that, there’s always a Coast 2 Coast here in Devon, Ilfracombe to Plymouth with the Tarka and Plym valley trails, although it’s easy enough for one long day.

Mr Barter had a route from Lands End back to home that was tempting too.

Basically, just getting out and riding will be great!

Cheers all, stay safe, sane and remember it’s only temporary.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Blackhound wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:49 am
Andy - I might be interested in that. Seem to recall Mike saying one section was unpleasant, or maybe it was you, on Strava a few months ago. Unable to recall details. I had not heard of the route before.

I had tracked down the mtbepics website you mentioned and downloaded the route a few days ago. I had bookmarked it many moons ago. With Herself being London based it might make a nice trip for me later in the year.
Kevin,

I will email you the alteration for the Smoke Ring to avoid the offending section.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"