MuddyPete

Re: Future plans.....??

Post by MuddyPete »

Verena wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:34 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:28 pm
Found this today https://www.deadendsandcake.ch/en/

Looks gorgeous.

Obviously it's mostly the cake which attracts me
That does look like fun but I really can't see much overseas travel by June sadly.
Not this year anywway, it sold out after 4 minutes :shock:
That's an inspiring idea for a home-baked version in the immediate future (i.e within the next month).

Find a dead-end somewhere close to or far from home; concoct a half-baked route to get there; enjoy your fully-baked (home-made) cake when you arrive.
Points awarded for best cake :-bd .

Reg and I came up with the "Boris 7 Mile Memorial Ride" during a meandering conversation about not much at all; on Sunday we briefly mentioned an exploratory bimble of obscure, local WW2 places which may or may not come to fruition.
Having a pointless objective seems to give our rides a point...somehow :???: :geek: .

I have some vague plans for the mid-to-long-term future, but I find it helpful to just really plan for the next month :-).
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:01 pm Also - I thought the term 'staycation' meant to spend your nights at home but to travel from home to somewhere else each day. It now appears to simply mean going on holiday within the country you live, which is in fact, just going on holiday.
I think staycation is generally accepted as being stay-in-UK-cation. Fine with me. However what's considerably less fine is the prospect of a second year of UK flycamping by the Ibiza crowd. I was rather hoping that Spain etc would take them off our hands again. I think I'd pay them to do it.
Last edited by RIP on Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

MuddyPete wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:02 pm Having a pointless objective seems to give our rides a point...somehow :???: :geek: .
Succinctly put :-bd .

Re local dead-end cake ride, already on my list after Boris-7 is a 'teddy bear's tea-party' down the woods.... bound to be cake at a tea-party. Am just awaiting the final important accessory in the post and we're good to go.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I prefer the term UK-tion
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

MuddyPete wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:02 pm Find a dead-end somewhere close to or far from home; concoct a half-baked route to get there; enjoy your fully-baked (home-made) cake when you arrive.
Points awarded for best cake :-bd .
There's a route on the Island called the Nine Roads To Nowhere, which is as the name suggests, is nine dead ends. All but one is at the top of a climb, the one exception is at the bottom of a hill, but as you ride out and back on all the dead ends you still get to ride up it :grin: Perhaps I'll pick my favourite rather than ride all nine, I'm not sure I could cook nine cakes let alone eat nine cakes in a single ride :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sean wrote: I'm not sure I could....... eat nine cakes in a single ride :lol:
Oh I think you could :grin:

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I thought the term 'staycation' meant to spend your nights at home but to travel from home to somewhere else each day.
This.
It now appears to simply mean going on holiday within the country you live.
Utter bollocks. Utterly insensitive of the fact that many people can't afford to take holidays abroad too. The normalisation of air travel is pretty crappy also.
...which is in fact, just going on holiday.
Exactly.

And while I'm ranting, "holibobs" can get in the fckin bin too.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well Wiki says from home and the next five hits said within UK. Guess it's whatever you personally want it to be then :wink: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:57 pm Utter bollocks. Utterly insensitive of the fact that many people can't afford to take holidays abroad too. The normalisation of air travel is pretty crappy also.
Well I personally agree with your air travel sentiments but I think one will find that comparable holidays can be a hell of a lot more expensive in the UK unfortunately and they are often the ones people can't afford - seen the prices of 'holiday cottages' recently? Even worse now that everyone is, er, staycationing :wink: .

Anyroad I like my gratis UK ditch so it's of little consequence either way.

In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Landslide wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:57 pm
I thought the term 'staycation' meant to spend your nights at home but to travel from home to somewhere else each day.
This.
It now appears to simply mean going on holiday within the country you live.
Utter bollocks. Utterly insensitive of the fact that many people can't afford to take holidays abroad too. The normalisation of air travel is pretty crappy also.
...which is in fact, just going on holiday.
Exactly.

And while I'm ranting, "holibobs" can get in the fckin bin too.
Check out Judith Chalmers over here :lol:
Verena

Post by Verena »

I really like the whacky local adventure ideas. Both the dead ends and cakes, and the ride to any local WW2 leftovers ideas appeal...

Yep, and I hate 'hollibobs' too
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:42 pm I really like the whacky local adventure ideas. Both the dead ends and cakes, and the ride to any local WW2 leftovers ideas appeal...

You could combine both ideas, holiday & temp home swap & ride a dead end route....
runs for cover..
It all has to happen locally within 7 miles'ez limitly.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Verena

Post by Verena »

ledburner wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:42 am
Verena wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:42 pm I really like the whacky local adventure ideas. Both the dead ends and cakes, and the ride to any local WW2 leftovers ideas appeal...

You could combine both ideas, holiday & temp home swap & ride a dead end route....
runs for cover..
Wanted, home swap for holidays, must be near lots of dead ends, and within seven miles of somewhere :lol:

I've started preparing for such a combination ride, by looking at a map, baking a cake, and then testing the cake...and once more to make sure :oops:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I had two emails.

JennRide

Dales Divide.

I'm a week kitten....but I'm wanting in...I think.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:14 pm
ledburner wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:42 am

runs for cover..
Wanted, home swap for holidays, must be near lots of dead ends, and within seven miles of somewhere :lol:

I've started preparing for such a combination ride, by looking at a map, baking a cake, and then testing the cake...and once more to make sure :oops:
Is it this recipe? :lol: :grin:

Xmas cakke
1 cup sugar,
1 tsp. baking powder,
1 cup water,
1 tsp. salt ,
1 cup brown sugar,
Lemon juice,
4 large eggs,
Nuts,
1......bottle Vodka,
2 cups dried fruit.

Sample a cup of Vodka to check quality. ...Take a large bowl, check the Vodka again to be sure it is of the highest quality then Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point, it is best to make sure the Vodka is still OK. Try another cup just in case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 eegs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Pick the fruit up off the floor, wash it and put it in the bowl a piece at a time trying to count it. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit getas stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver Sample the Vodka to test for tonsisticity. Next, sift 2 cups of salt. Check the Vodka. Now sub standard shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or whatever you can find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner.
Finally, throw the bowl through the window. Finish the Vodka and wipe the counter with the cat.
Verena

Post by Verena »

:lol:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

👍 Making an Xmas cake early?
Last edited by ledburner on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

*always hard to quantify and open to personal preference but in this instance I mean, quieter, more engaging riding and more inspiring in terms of scenery and backdrop.
And this is what it is all about, right? I've got enough time to pick out a nice route. There are lots of places I'd like to return to but I'm limited to probably 2-3 nights on this first go, hence the WHY. Found a few youtube trips around the Trossachs that look worthwhile. It is an area I know fairly well. Even avoiding Loch Lomond, I'd quite like Loch-side camping.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Rapideye wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:50 am
*always hard to quantify and open to personal preference but in this instance I mean, quieter, more engaging riding and more inspiring in terms of scenery and backdrop.
WHY. Found a few youtube trips around the Trossachs that look worthwhile. It is an area I know fairly well. Even avoiding Loch Lomond, I'd quite like Loch-side camping.
Has auto correct changed WHW* to Why?
Or is auto correct questioning your motives/ sanity? AI (artifical intelligence), at the same level as, a toddler.
"OH why, why Why!" .

*West Highland Way.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Not sure if I said this already but as soon as this current lockdown is over and pending a cheap train ticket, I'm gonna get that ticket and ride to London for that months BAM. Then get the train with that there ticket straight back...

Later (in April) I'm gonna -God Willing - have a bash at that DD2021. Already having doubts about the water being drained enough in places but I'm not gonna dwell on that too much. Plan is to start at halfway, closest to me, then ride the closest loop and home qgain... Kind of :smile:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Rapideye wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:50 am And this is what it is all about, right? I've got enough time to pick out a nice route. There are lots of places I'd like to return to but I'm limited to probably 2-3 nights on this first go, hence the WHY. Found a few youtube trips around the Trossachs that look worthwhile. It is an area I know fairly well. Even avoiding Loch Lomond, I'd quite like Loch-side camping.
Look up The Lomond Trossachs Loop, devised by Chris from here. I rode it last September and it makes a great 3 or 4 day (2-3) night trip. Our ride reports are on here if you want more info. It uses bits of the WHW but also takes in more remote sections to get some respite from the walkers.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Has auto correct changed WHW* to Why?
Or is auto correct questioning your motives/ sanity? AI (artifical intelligence), at the same level as, a toddler.
"OH why, why Why!"
No, no intelligence here, artificial or otherwise, I'm afraid...just me being dim :grin:

I had read your post before and re-read it again with sweats at the long days you put in. I thought you meant that it'd take 3-4 days of those sort of distances to complete the loop. I see now that over 3-4 days it can be a bit more leisurely. I think it sounds great and could fit in pretty well for my schedule. When thinking of the WHW, I was going to have an overnight in Fort William, instead I'll have an extra night out. It's also cyclable to/from My Folks too, so no need for trains. Is there a map/route I can see for this? Googling seemed to only lead to Facebook which wouldn't let me go further until I had accepted cookies, tracking, access to my most deepest thoughts and my First-born.

Thanks for the help.
Dean

Post by Dean »

Rapideye wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:15 pmWhen thinking of the WHW, I was going to have an overnight in Fort William, instead I'll have an extra night out. It's also cyclable to/from My Folks too, so no need for trains. Is there a map/route I can see for this? Googling seemed to only lead to Facebook which wouldn't let me go further until I had accepted cookies, tracking, access to my most deepest thoughts and my First-born.

Thanks for the help.
If you find Milngavie/Fort William on Bing Maps you can access Ordnance Survey in the top right, the whole route is marked with red or green diamonds. If you want something physical Harvey Maps make a waterproof map specifically for the route as well.

I echo that the bike carry around the side of Loch Lomond was three hours of unrelenting type 3 fun, I messed up my route timings with a bad mechanical and did it in the dark to make it worse. The rest of the route was enjoyable (especially if sans hikers).
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Hi, sorry, yes the WHW I know, the route I was asking for was the Trossach loop.

As far as the WHW, I''ve still got it as an option. I don't think bother with carrying the bike over rocks etc, I'd just skip that and cycle the roads and pick up the trail at a suitable point. I have a decent idea of what the loch-side route is like. I used to camp around there. I think it is something I would attempt at some point.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Hopefully this is the website

https://lomondtrossachsloop.tumblr.com/

You should be able to download the route from there but if not PM me an email address and I can send it to you.