Future plans.....??

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Re: Future plans.....??

Post by Dave Barter »

Mr Barter had a route from Lands End back to home that was tempting too
I’m doing it as soon as lockdown allows.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I've barely touched my bike since October. I'm trying my best...no, I'm not, that's a complete lie. I've been on it once this month and maybe a few times on the trainer. Just hard to get going.

I'm hoping to do quite a few things, wouldn't mind a crack at the Cairngorms, but it may take about 3 weeks with my current fitness. I'd like to go back to the HT550 and do more of that route, again, with legs the power of a kittens, I may need to work at that.
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

TheBrownDog wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:26 pm I wanna do the trip to Spanish Lapland that was planned for this year but replaced by a ride around Dartmoor, which was probably tougher to be honest. It just looks amazing.

https://montanasvacias.com/spanish-lappland/

@PaulB2 .... go the Big Bro frameset fella. Mine has become only the second bike Ive owned that I am vowed never to part with. My only regret was getting the full build as I want a different wheelset and finishing kit. Go for it.
Spain is simply made of gravel tracks and mountains...it is epic for off road cycle tours. I used to live in Asturias on the coast and could cycle gravel trails form there to leon without more than crossing tarmac to get to the next trail. The added bonus is that good wine is about 70 cents a glass and a three course meal is often less than 10 euro...bloody civilised.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

I want to start riding round the coast. The plan is to set off from the East coast and keep the sea on my left, trying out all the tracks that will go as close as possible. Thinking of trying to visit as many people who live near the coast I've met over the years and kip in their gardens :wink:
Was hoping to get going in April to then start on Scotland during May before this years staycation madness starts, but that's looking less likely under Boris's release plans.
The old git in the yellow socks
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Evening

Being new to all this, I've been spending my time recently, researching kit, 'How-To's', places to go, as well as plucking up the courage to get out when the weather improves. Frankly, I'm obsessed :smile: So far, I've picked up a Trekker Stealth, the 22 g stove and a cup and I'm now looking at options for a saddle bag and sleeping mat. I think this will give me enough kit to get out starting mid-to-late March for my 1st go. This will be 2 days cycling 20-30 miles each with an overnight in the garden, trying to get used to the basics of the tent etc. I think I'll stick to the garden for another try a month later.

The next step will be an overnight elsewhere. I'm not too sure on this but do have beaches/woods 6 miles away that look possible. I'll take the dog and go ride the wood soon looking for a good quiet spot to do this. I'm also planning to work on stamina at weekends - 30-40 mile rides in a day to ensure I'm prepared for longer rides.

Start of June, I'll head to Scotland. I think We'll be open by then and I can visit home. I say 'home' I left just over 30 yrs ago and now live happily in Norfolk. My original thought was The West Highland Way but I'll decide nearer the time. I'm finding a lot more options now, so I'm considering a quieter route.

Longer term is more return visits to Scotland but also anywhere else that'll have me. Norway looks vaguely exciting.
Last edited by Rapideye on Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

:lol: I read that back and in my text I wrote 'Norway looks vaguely exciting' and it has appeared as 'vaguely exciting'. Norway looks aweomse.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Rapideye wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:38 am Longer term is more return visits to Scotland but also anywhere else that'll have me. Norway looks vaguely exciting.
Wonky Profanity filter? , try adding sh!t, - - > the response is sub standard!
Last edited by ledburner on Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

WHW is a tough one due to the lochside carry. There are so many other possibilities, it's hard to know where to start, but the loop of Dalwhinnie, Ardverickie, Corrour and Dalnacardoch is one I'm looking forward to repeating when possible.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm with Colin. I've not ridden the WHW in full but the bits I have were busy. I've certainly ridden far better* in Scotland.

*always hard to quantify and open to personal preference but in this instance I mean, quieter, more engaging riding and more inspiring in terms of scenery and backdrop.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Verena

Post by Verena »

Found this today https://www.deadendsandcake.ch/en/

Looks gorgeous.

Obviously it's mostly the cake which attracts me 🍰
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Looks gorgeous.

Obviously it's mostly the cake which attracts me
That does look like fun but I really can't see much overseas travel by June sadly.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:28 pm

Looks gorgeous.

That does look like fun but I really can't see much overseas travel by June sadly.
Not this year anywway, it sold out after 4 minutes :shock:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Smoke ring has been on my list for a while, have the book already. Unlikely to do it before I move, shame as it runs past me

I'm moving down to the South Downs soon so have a few low key plans. BAM this year, lots of fun riding, and maybe a few extras - right by the SDW and will be at the south east corner of the KAW so maybe some or all of those
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Verena wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:34 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:28 pm

Looks gorgeous.

Not this year anywway, it sold out after 4 minutes :shock:
tbf they've given the checkpoint positions on the website so there's no reason you couldn't just rock up on a different date and do your own ride.

I've got half an eye on the Transatlantic Way Race in June.
jobro

Post by jobro »

I have a tour of the Dolomite all booked up for July. Hut to hut route planned off of Komoot. I'm still not 100% I'll be going (it was cancelled from last year) but its a place I've always wanted to ride. Anyone been there and would like to give some tips I'd be very grateful.
Planning on doing the KAW in May as a fastpack 3 dayer using B&B's, and again in September as a wild camping 5 dayer. We have a locally organised Purbeck/New Forest 3 dayer planned for June. Next year I've already got GBDuro (with a side order of Cape Wrath) and Tuscany Trail in mind.
Longer term I want to do a fortnight in Scandinavia, possibly Stockholm to Oslo if its doable mainly off road.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've now booked ferries and campsites in Uist for June. Fingers crossed.
Dean

Post by Dean »

I am considering South Downs Way in a day during the summer, it is local-ish and definitely an achieveable task. I have done it twice with an overnight stop but this time I should have the difficulty of homeward travel sorted.

Gives me something to do some riding and get out of the door for, will decide later if I should take gravel bike or hardtail.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Wales Coast to Coast to Coast - start at Great Orme, do the Cambrian Trail to Worms Head and then back using a slightly different C2C route - should be 900km or so.

And the Great North Trail

And Dales Divide (Lockdown willing).

Apart from that, I'd really like to get riding with a club I joined 18 months ago that I have hardly ridden with due to Covid/illness etc.

And stop working. High on the list should there be an opportunity to become redundant!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I feel very much in limbo at present. I feel like I should be making some plans but at the same time, I can't help thinking is there really much point? It would appear (to me at least) that all information with regard to lifting / altering / whatever restrictions and guidelines has dried up and we're now simply floating along towards a point where the majority have had their jabs. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see any signs of an exit strategy?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Make the plans Stu. At worst they'll be shuffled backwards a couple of months while European countries catch up with their vaccinations.

Exit roadmap being announced next monday.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:36 pm plans
Ahem.... VWE, forgotten but not gone :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Well I’ve got carried over tickets for the Moors 100
and the Woods Grand Rando. I haven’t bivied out for nearly 5 months now, a combination of CBA and lockdown, I’m missing that and the normal BB events.
So plans are get outside when allowed, book any events that I can afford and get tickets for, a big ride either UK or Spain/Croatia, possibly a mis-guided crack at the Big Bear :shock:
I’m sick of staying indoors staring at the TV or trying to find things to do inside. The last time I rode was 3rd of January, I’m going to make up for lost time, never will I let a sunny day go to waste again!
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

I'm starting to become increasingly despondent between the terrible weather (for anyting other than an hour or two thrash) and the prospect of adventure, in whatever tiny guise it might make itself known, not being open until "summer".

I've booked the Easter week off and I had planned to do the second city divide but booking a hotel in Glasgow and train tickets up there is seeming more foolish every day.

Le sigh.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56088301
The first minister advised against booking a break either overseas or in Scotland at the start of April.

She also said it was unlikely that overseas holidays would be possible in the summer.

However, she said "staycations" might be possible - although it would depend on the Covid data nearer the time.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I realise there's not really another viable option but it's the 'possibly', 'maybe' and 'perhaps' that make things hard at the moment. I'd almost rather hear, "you're not going anywhere until July 12th"*

Also - I thought the term 'staycation' meant to spend your nights at home but to travel from home to somewhere else each day. It now appears to simply mean going on holiday within the country you live, which is in fact, just going on holiday.

*other dates are available.