Future plans.....??

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

summittoppler

Future plans.....??

Post by summittoppler »

OK seeing as we're all in the same boat, how about using this thread to post up what future plans you may have. Whether its new bits you want to buy, rides you're planning or even 'that' bivvy spot you've had your eye on.
It might help those of us who have lost the mojo for the time being and hopefully reignite the 'flame'.

Go......
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearlegged

Re: Future plans.....??

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm thinking Snowdonia.
Train to somewhere like Conway, then meander westwards before heading south to Aberdyfi. Take a tent, but maybe stop in at bothies too? Quite fancy taking in Snowdon, so maybe a plan for October once the voluntary bike ban is over for the summer.

Bonus for posting this up now, all you local experts have ample time to give me suggestions! :-bd
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Landslide wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:00 pm I'm thinking Snowdonia.
.....somewhere like Conway......

.....you local experts have ample time to give me suggestions! :-bd
Start with Conwy :wink:
I'm only 1 mile from Conwy so if you need any info, let me know :-bd

Instagram:

YouTube:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ain't too many bothies between Conwy and Aberdyfie. Better make it Aberystwyth :wink:

Mike and myself had a discussion about this years RTTS. If we're able to pull it off then it should be a cracker.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

I'm hoping, perhaps optimistically, to give the second city divide a crack over Easter. It will represent my first "proper" bikepacking trip following a short career of road cycle touring.

I'd also like to get comfortable with the idea of bivvying this year, too. So whatever mini-adventures may make themselves known, I'd like to try and shed the perceived safety of a tent for some of them.
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

I’m hoping to do this in June:

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1403437

It’s a mash up of bits of the Highland Trail 550 and An Turas Mor to make a loop so I can return to the car (or train in FW if practical).

If anyone’s familiar with any part of these trails I’d be very grateful for any experience!

I’m thinking 5/6 days with a night in the YH in Ullapool if open as a luxury treat half way round.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

’m hoping to do this in June:

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1403437
Looks fun. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've got loads of loose plans, no idea if any of them will come to fruition. I've got 3-4 days pencilled in for May, 3-4 days pencilled in for August and 3-4 days pencilled in for September/October. I've not been on a bike for more than 5 miles in over 6 months that might be a tad optimistic. One vague idea was to get the train out to Barmouth and then spend 3-4 days leisurely heading home at 30-40 miles a day via Lake Vrnwy and Long Mynd which would be about my limit at the moment.

Bikewise, I really fancy building up a stooge or a big bro but that'll depend on me getting my ducks in a row at the right time. I'm also contemplating rejigging the Arkose to put 650b wheels on and lowering the gearing but the last time I looked at that, if all the parts (wheels, tyres, rear derailleur, cassette, bottom bracket & cranks) were new and I had to pay a mechanic to do the work for me, it wouldn't cost much more to just get a Sonder Frontier.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I wanna do the trip to Spanish Lapland that was planned for this year but replaced by a ride around Dartmoor, which was probably tougher to be honest. It just looks amazing.

https://montanasvacias.com/spanish-lappland/

@PaulB2 .... go the Big Bro frameset fella. Mine has become only the second bike Ive owned that I am vowed never to part with. My only regret was getting the full build as I want a different wheelset and finishing kit. Go for it.
I'm just going outside ...
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I fancy a bit of a theme to my bivvy/camp spots. I might try and give it a go bivvying/camping in or as close as possible to a ruined building. I'm not talking pitching outside an old farmhouse but a disused blast shelter or old slate/stone ruined structure. Luckily there are plenty here in the hills of Snowdonia so I haven't got much of an excuse (apart from the obvious).

I'd also like to get a trip done that I bailed on due to van issues on the long drive up north back in October 2019. Still want to ride Sandwood Bay and a few other fine locations up that way.
There's also a trip me and JC could possibly do, a revisit to Jura and sample to remoteness of the northern parts of the island. But we'll see how travelling to the islands is as times goes on.

Instagram:

YouTube:
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Several ideas bouncing around. Biggest one is early morning flight to Geneva, cycle along Rhone valley, then get post bus up to Grimentz and spend the week cycling around the Val d'Anniviers. I am usually out there this third week in January on a boys snowboarding trip, but highly unlikely to happen this year, hence the idea of the bike trip instead.
May satan walk with you
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

TheBrownDog wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:26 pm I wanna do the trip to Spanish Lapland that was planned for this year but replaced by a ride around Dartmoor, which was probably tougher to be honest. It just looks amazing.

https://montanasvacias.com/spanish-lappland/

@PaulB2 .... go the Big Bro frameset fella. Mine has become only the second bike Ive owned that I am vowed never to part with. My only regret was getting the full build as I want a different wheelset and finishing kit. Go for it.
This looks amazing. I think the Vuelta a Espana passed through part of this area last year. Definitely on my to do list now. I imagine April-May or september-october would be the best time to visit
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH my only plan is to convince myself that I can take on 100+ mile rides again. If I can crack that then I'll likely expand my range slowly and hope to be in a position to do (a) WHW in a day and (b) a nice road tour by the time winter comes around again. I'm certainly not expecting to have freedom of the countryside before May, and possibly June.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I just want one night in my new Big Agnes ffs
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Montañasvacias is a great adventure
@woodsmith &thebrowndog
A group of 5 from on here did the route in Sept 2019. You're correct woodsmith, the Vuelta had a stage finish on Pico Buitre which is adjacent to Javalambe, I was on the finish line having ridden up.
Here's my report on the MV Bearbones trip. viewtopic.php?t=15981
Since then I've done some riding with Ernesto Pastor and I've developed a route which passes through the MV area but continues NW to the Atlantic coast following a watershed and visits the sources of the 3 longest rivers in Iberia. I've recced the vast majority of it and plans are well on for a group start event at the end of May.
https://montanasvacias.com/spanishdivide/
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Lots of loose ideas but one idea I have been planning is cycling from home to catch the Harwich to Hook of Holland Ferry
then follow the Rhine River to Switzerland and pick up the Hope 1000 route.
https://bikepacking.com/routes/hope-1000/
Fly back from Geneva.
What's the chances of that happening :roll:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I was planning to do the Pennine Bridle Way,
last year. May be it'll happen this year....
Later I managed to do most of the Mary Townley Loop, MTL, where I met ericrobo who reminded me of the forum etc. A surreal experience before 10am in the middle of the Moor & clouds!
Weatherwise rained lot, but made me appreciate the good weather on the first and last afternoon.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
psling

Post by psling »

I'm more of a spur-of-the-moment person and try not to make plans that are dependent on things beyond my control :geek:
Having said that, I am reducing my working days later this year which will give me more opportunity to get out for longer periods of time more often, both on foot and by bicycle, when things improve :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ton

Post by ton »

me and the good lady have plans to head somewhere in Scandinavia.
we went to Norway prior to 1st lock down. once this has lifted we will be heading to tour up the Norway - Sweden border from Oslo.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:57 pm Montañasvacias is a great adventure
@woodsmith &thebrowndog
A group of 5 from on here did the route in Sept 2019. You're correct woodsmith, the Vuelta had a stage finish on Pico Buitre which is adjacent to Javalambe, I was on the finish line having ridden up.
Here's my report on the MV Bearbones trip. viewtopic.php?t=15981
Since then I've done some riding with Ernesto Pastor and I've developed a route which passes through the MV area but continues NW to the Atlantic coast following a watershed and visits the sources of the 3 longest rivers in Iberia. I've recced the vast majority of it and plans are well on for a group start event at the end of May.
https://montanasvacias.com/spanishdivide/
Any suggestions for a good route to this from Santander?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

From Santander you could do worse than following my Spanish Divide route that you'd probably pick up at Reinosa. This meets the Montañasvacias trail at the Rio Tajo or if you want to start from Teruel, there's a Via Verde from Ojos Negros that takes you a more direct way.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

pistonbroke wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:08 pm From Santander you could do worse than following my Spanish Divide route that you'd probably pick up at Reinosa. This meets the Montañasvacias trail at the Rio Tajo or if you want to start from Teruel, there's a Via Verde from Ojos Negros that takes you a more direct way.
Thanks Duncan. I got engrosed in your riding thread and missed the second link before posting my question.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

No problem, if I was reversing the SD route and not too hung up on going to the source of the Duero which is at 2,200m on Pico Urbion, I'd go from Santa Domingo to Vinuesa then pick the route up to Siguenza from there. If you want less climbing, there was a railway line from Santander to the Mediterranean which has been turned into various stretches of Via Verde.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Finish a contract at the end of April ish and hoping to have a couple of weeks abroad, won't be booking flights just yet though....

Either Altravesur or Holy Land Trail. Or the Highlands if neither Spain or Israel are allowed
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:21 pm Ain't too many bothies between Conwy and Aberdyfie. Better make it Aberystwyth :wink:

Mike and myself had a discussion about this years RTTS. If we're able to pull it off then it should be a cracker.
If we’re allowed out mate , are we looking around end of June or beginning of July ?