NorthPeak100 or Peaks200 winter attempt anyone??

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

NorthPeak100 or Peaks200 winter attempt anyone??

Post by redefined_cycles »

Any interest in such a thing. If so then we could maybe coordinate and head out on the same day. As well as try and keep an eye on weather windows and choose a good day.

Winter Peaks200 is probably (almost) impossible for me but willing to give it a go if others were interested :smile:

Winter ends at end of February I believe so we have until then to set a date (if anyone's coming... frok their own end of the woods obviously so we're properly distanced)..
stevewaters

Re: NorthPeak100 or Peaks200 winter attempt anyone??

Post by stevewaters »

There are no high passes etc. so as long as it is not snowy / icy then the conditions for a winter attempt on the Peak 200 might not be that much different to other times of the year (i.e. wet!). The crux would probably be Cut Gate, but most of the ascent is a push (for me anyway!). Would need more light batteries and might need a bit more clothing and a warmer bag/duvet.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Problem with the Peaks 200 in winter is the white peak limestone - slippy as.

And Cut gate would be a bogfest.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Long Dale/Gratton Dale is a sh!t-fest in winter. That climb up to Hollins Cross is a ball-ache in the wet too. Cut Gate, as mentioned, is best left well alone.

The biggest problem with doing it in winter is it gets just so unremittingly grim for long stretches :lol: . High Peak and Longdendale Trails are lovely in summer to roll along and admire the views. In winter when you're gritting your teeth into a headwind and rain/sleet they're a slightly different proposition.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

redefined_cycles

In Reverse wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:00 pm Long Dale/Gratton Dale is a sh!t-fest in winter. That climb up to Hollins Cross is a ball-ache in the wet too. Cut Gate, as mentioned, is best left well alone.

The biggest problem with doing it in winter is it gets just so unremittingly grim for long stretches :lol: . High Peak and Longdendale Trails are lovely in summer to roll along and admire the views. In winter when you're gritting your teeth into a headwind and rain/sleet they're a slightly different proposition.
If Karl and you say it... I'll leave that ugly thing well alone :grin: I imagined something similar but thought it's good to discuss...
redefined_cycles

In Reverse wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:02 pm viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18312&p=234244
Sounds like I'm a serial offender :o
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Long Dale/Gratton Dale has been a shitfest every time I have been down it, regardless of the season!
I agree that wet weather makes chunks of the White Peak section almost unrideable. A frosty winter spell would be nice, providing it wasn’t as icy as the weekend!
FLV

Post by FLV »

I think its all possible. The slop section of cutgate is predictably sloppy and in a poor state. (Joģed through a couple of weeks ago) But that doesnt mean it would be any fun whatsoever.
As said, grattton dale is grim all the time, i suspect a minimum hour of walking / draggin through a swamp.

Lots of parts of the route probably match this description.

It would certainly take some patience to get it done. It wont be me though as riding is supposed to be fun!
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

This coming week would be good for a winter ride! Will be quick in some parts, may be a bit to much snow in others. Definitely on my to do list. But not in the right place at the moment. Think it would be quite pleasureable theres a few shops open, enough to get topped up. I will do some of it this weekend, White Peak to keep it local :smile:
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Good luck !

I figured a way of doing the Peak 200 over 2 days bivvying in my garden (Chinley) but will wait until the spring given the C19 lockdown situation and the fact it might be wet and snowy/icy this weekend.
redefined_cycles

PaulB wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:07 pm This coming week would be good for a winter ride! Will be quick in some parts, may be a bit to much snow in others. Definitely on my to do list. But not in the right place at the moment. Think it would be quite pleasureable theres a few shops open, enough to get topped up. I will do some of it this weekend, White Peak to keep it local :smile:
Interesting. Giving me some food for thought. We only have til end of this month to attempt a winter attempt...
redefined_cycles

My comment in relation to the Peak100 only. Don't think I have it in me to manage the isolated misery that the 200 brings :grin: