The B.O.U.N.C.E

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

The B.O.U.N.C.E

Post by Richpips »

A new event, a bit like the Polaris from way back, in N Spain in September.

Some details here, more soon.

https://www.adventurepedlars.com/the-bounce
In Reverse

Re: The B.O.U.N.C.E

Post by In Reverse »

Sounds great. Decent BB200 training opportunity.

Someone needs to petition Pete for a Boner discount. :grin:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Might have to put my hand up for this seeing as Valderrobres is about 50km from home. It's about 10km from here
Which some might recognise as the canyon on the second day of the Spanish C2C.
Anyone looking to team up with an old codger with a bit of local knowledge and decent Spanish, let me know.
I'm intrigued to know how the mapping will work as the start sits on the boundary of 3 autonomous regions, each with their own unique mapping agencies, guess it will all be digital rather than wrestling with paper which was the norm the last time I did a bike orienteering event.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Hi Duncan, I was going to get in touch.

Me and Pete are planning to come over in the spring to check out a couple of things in Spring. So we'll chat when we have a date.

The event will have two classes,. One with map and compass, and the other where GPS is allowed. Each checkpoint has a Grid Ref a picture and any other pertinent info.

Maps and a route book will be issued a month before, so you can plan your route. The usual 'O' score vibe will be near and easy to get to CPs will score low, those far away will score more.

All the CPs have been reccied to make sure they are accessible. Whilst crossing roads will be a necessity it is envisaged that most of the time riders will be off asphalt.

Another interesting thing is that the start/finish is more or less in the centre of the map. So you could stay in Valderrobres and out and back each day from your hotel.

It's something a bit different, and people can make of it what they will. Some people will no doubt go for all the checkpoints, and others will just have a nice time visiting new places.

More soon ;)
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Ok Rich, I've contacted Pete via the website, I wasn't sure if he knew of me. You'll possibly recall us meeting briefly in the AK Hathersage shop last Christmas. I'm really intrigued why you chose Valderrobres? I can see the attraction as I'm local and think it's one of the best areas for this type of riding in Europe but it's a closely guarded secret even around here! Did you stumble across it or do either of you have local connections?
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

The area is one of 7 that the motor cyclist Austin Vince uses for his events. He is providing some of the "local knowledge".
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

On a sidenote... Dark and White (Peaks bike orienteering chaps). Are they not planning to open up mapquesting again. I think they stopped about 2 years ago cos one of the group was poorly...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

The area is one of 7 that the motor cyclist Austin Vince uses for his events. He is providing some of the "local knowledge".
Ooh, I'll have to ask him to sign my copy of Mondo Enduro, it's one of a very short list of books that made the trip from Sheffield 5 years ago. It's a bit dog eared as I've read it several times. I'm currently saving up for a new Tenere 700 for when the knees finally cry enough.