UK Socially Distanced Covid Aware Winter Bivi 2020.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

UK Socially Distanced Covid Aware Winter Bivi 2020.

Post by Ray Young »

I know the Annual Winter Bivi is designed to be a social event but given the circumstances this is obviously impossible so I'm proposing an alternative.

Saturday 12 December 2020 UK wide socially distanced winter bivi.

Go for a solo (or with someone in your bubble) overnight bivi whilst complying with all the Covid restrictions that apply to the area you live in on that date then post up stories or pics .

Have fun.
fatbikephil

Re: UK Socially Distanced Covid Aware Winter Bivi 2020.

Post by fatbikephil »

Ray Young wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:33 pm I know the Annual Winter Bivi is designed to be a social event but given the circumstances this is obviously impossible so I'm proposing an alternative.

Saturday 12 December 2020 UK wide socially distanced winter bivi.

Go for a solo (or with someone in your bubble) overnight bivi whilst complying with all the Covid restrictions that apply to the area you live in on that date then post up stories or pics .

Have fun.
:-bd Was just thinking that its really doesn't seem like a year since we occupied Dryffehead bothy.....
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

[/quote]:-bd Was just thinking that its really doesn't seem like a year since we occupied Dryffehead bothy.....
[/quote]

Yes was thinking that myself although I didn't attend Dryffehead as I had the dog who doesn't cope well with strangers so took me n her off on a solo bivi.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

htrider wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:17 pm :-bd Was just thinking that its really doesn't seem like a year since we occupied Dryffehead bothy.....
I know! We were driving through the area we were doing political canvassing in this time last year and it seemed crazy it was only a year ago too. I'm gutted that we won't be meeting up again this year. That night riding through the snow with my sack of coal on my back has been a fond memory :lol:
I don't know if we will bivvy on the correct weekend or not Ray, but will bear it in mind. The weather is more crucial just now than marking a particular date unfortunately.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

htrider wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:17 pm :-bd Was just thinking that its really doesn't seem like a year since we occupied Dryffehead bothy.....
Likewise. Shame we can't do it again this year, but should bothies be an option again early next year, I'd be up for a delayed winter meet-up.

Will try and get out on that weekend if the weather's good. There's a non-MBA shelter I've got my eye on that might do.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I know! We were driving through the area we were doing political canvassing in this time last year and it seemed crazy it was only a year ago too. I'm gutted that we won't be meeting up again this year. That night riding through the snow with my sack of coal on my back has been a fond memory :lol:
[/quote]

... and we were all very grateful for that coal Bridget! :-bd
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Good idea Ray, I was thinking about the winter bivi and what to do this year. I'd planned for it to be closer to home than my last years ride over 4 days to Dartmoor and back.... turns out it is going to be much closer to home :roll:

As I'm officially allowed to stay at mine or the property in my 'bubble' I'll bivi at my Mum's. Her garden is an acre and half of that is woodland so I'm going to go with TheBrownDogs idea and go more bushcraft, I'll cook on a little wood-buring stove, drink craft beer and whittle a stick into something, probably a smaller stick :lol:

British Cycle Quest was recently on a FB group I'm in

https://www.cyclinguk.org/british-cycle ... QdvH9ddCQI

So as some motivation to do some riding before the bivi I'm planing on going round all the points on the Island, a rough route comes out at 64 miles so that should be about right, My Mum's is less than a mile from mine so without that to occupy me the danger is I'd just ride to hers and drink beer in front of the stove... actually, is that a better plan :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:25 am ...and whittle a stick into something, probably a smaller stick :lol:

So as some motivation to do some riding before the bivi...
:lol:

...how about pictures of the MOST FABULOUS Christmas lights in your riding area of choice? :YMPARTY:
May you always have tail wind.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

MuddyPete wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:51 pm ...how about pictures of the MOST FABULOUS Christmas lights in your riding area of choice? :YMPARTY:
That is genius! I'm going to do that now as well, and I would encourage everyone else going on a winter bivi to do the same and we can all post them up here afterwards :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I like that idea but saddly I only know of one that is garish and its only about 350 m away

I will do a photo of it