January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by fatbikephil »

Mind and get yer duvet looked out Sean :mrgreen:
DawnA

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by DawnA »

Ugh, covid, had been looking forward to this but might have dodged a bullet - I went to only one grid reference yesterday (thanks htrider) - on ski's - does that count? Think I "need" a fatbike.....
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

DawnA wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:51 pm Ugh, covid, had been looking forward to this but might have dodged a bullet - I went to only one grid reference yesterday (thanks htrider) - on ski's - does that count? Think I "need" a fatbike.....
Sensible. I should have used skis to grab my one yesterday....
siboy

Post by siboy »

Still managed to have some fun camping in the garden :grin: I think it was bit milder in East Anglia than the rest of the country.

My partner Tim / TheBrownDog had provided a brilliant set of GRs based on castle remains. Most will have to wait but one was right in the village so I had a very short ride to Burwell Castle and then out on to the Fen. Given the talk of high points I thought I'd see how low I could go - my GPS managed to get to hit -2m!
Verena

Post by Verena »

siboy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:14 pm Given the talk of high points I thought I'd see how low I could go - my GPS managed to get to hit -2m!
:lol:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

siboy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:14 pm Still managed to have some fun camping in the garden :grin: I think it was bit milder in East Anglia than the rest of the country.

My partner Tim / TheBrownDog had provided a brilliant set of GRs based on castle remains. Most will have to wait but one was right in the village so I had a very short ride to Burwell Castle and then out on to the Fen. Given the talk of high points I thought I'd see how low I could go - my GPS managed to get to hit -2m!
Nice one Simon. I bobbled over to GR4 Cold Harbour Farm which is about 30cm from my door but never notice it. Rather nice place. Funny getting below sea level ... you're doomed when global warming kicks in proper of course .... :lol:
I'm just going outside ...
MagicHat

Post by MagicHat »

Despite the Covid restrictions, We still made a (sort of weekend) of it ... hitting the two most local GRs (one on Saturday and one in appalling weather and visibility on Sunday).

Camped in the garden in the snow ... cooked Tadka Dhal on the stove.

Cheers to Barney for the Grid Refs :)

Photo Evidence attached!
Attachments
Campout.jpg
(71.45 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

MagicHat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:32 am Despite the Covid restrictions, We still made a (sort of weekend) of it ... hitting the two most local GRs (one on Saturday and one in appalling weather and visibility on Sunday).

Camped in the garden in the snow ... cooked Tadka Dhal on the stove.

Cheers to Barney for the Grid Refs :)

Photo Evidence attached!
Hi Magichat... why not pop some information and the pic over on the competition thread to be in with a chance to win some honey. No pressure, I thought to let you know in case you didn't realise there's a (seperate) thread for the comp...

:smile:
MagicHat

Post by MagicHat »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:08 pm
Hi Magichat... why not pop some information and the pic over on the competition thread to be in with a chance to win some honey. No pressure, I thought to let you know in case you didn't realise there's a (seperate) thread for the comp...

:smile:
I didn't realise ... thanks for the tip, will do that!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was planning to do the Virtual Winter Event on the 19th/20th as that is the Spring Equinox but I got a call from the GP today telling me I could have the Covd vaccine on the 19th. That knocks my plans for an early start and, given what I've seen of some folks reactions, I'm not sure I'll be fit for a bivvy afterwards.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I'm thinking about mine with a wild camp on Good Friday after the stay at home order has lifted.
What do you all think please?

Is it too early
Are you or your mates aiming to get out over Easter?
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm just old and confused so what do I know, but aren't we still 'gardening' until April 12th? (oh gawd let's not start again :smile: ).

Another question, since I'm also getting cranked up for it, is I did a few of them on day rides, but presumably I've got to do the whole bloody lot again in one 'sitting' as it were? I've only got about two left. I think I know the answer to my own question, ho hum.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:27 pm I'm thinking about mine with a wild camp on Good Friday after the stay at home order has lifted.
What do you all think please?

Is it too early
Are you or your mates aiming to get out over Easter?
Welsh rules will allow self contained holiday acommodation from 27th March, so yes I'll be heading out over Easter. Doesn't get more self contained than a bivvy bag.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Verena wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:47 pm Welsh rules will allow self contained holiday acommodation from 27th March, so yes I'll be heading out over Easter. Doesn't get more self contained than a bivvy bag.
Plan B
An over the border bike raid could be called for then
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:55 pm
Verena wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:47 pm Welsh rules will allow self contained holiday acommodation from 27th March, so yes I'll be heading out over Easter. Doesn't get more self contained than a bivvy bag.
Plan B
An over the border bike raid could be called for then
Hang on, Boris orders you, we get Knobford. That means you keep out and we get to play till you feckers over run us over ;)
Don't forget we went into 'lockdown' on the night of the 19th December.
I've heard there are snipers at Queensferry..... :lol:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Boab

Post by Boab »

Decided to try and get some motivation by planning a route based around the grid refs I've been given, and doing a bit of bike metainence. Just need to figure out where to kip now...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

As there are no real rules for this "event" now.
I'll be doing my GR's Wednesday to Saturday maybe even Sunday as well, I've a wild camp sorted near one of the spots from Good Friday with a little group of 6 (max)
Verena

Post by Verena »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:57 pm As there are no real rules for this "event" now.
I'll be doing my GR's Wednesday to Saturday maybe even Sunday as well, I've a wild camp sorted near one of the spots from Good Friday with a little group of 6 (max)
Sounds good, enjoy
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:57 pm As there are no real rules for this "event" now.
Well, some of us made an effort :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:58 pm
Well, some of us made an effort :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well I'll have to miss one GR anyway.
I checked them out on Google Street View last night, making me drove past one of them today and its now in the middle of a new build housing development with fences up.
So that's ones out of the game now anyway
RIP

Post by RIP »

C'mon JC, where's your sense of adventure man? We're Boners. When have mere fences ever stopped us?! :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

4 GR's bagged this morning
1 scratched
2 GR's on tomorrow's cycle commute
3 more to get on Friday's bivi trip and finish off on Saturday morning