January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by whitestone »

Taylor wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:09 pmBob, ygm.
Nowt yet dude.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by Asposium »

Borderer wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:16 pm Last lockdown I was as good as gold and did everything by the book. No nights out at all. This time I just feel so pissed off with the way the govt down south has screwed things up that I find myself less willing to comply. I will still do all the sensible things like wearing a mask and not going to someone's house, but I won't comply with things that aren't a risk just for the sake of it any more.

Our sleep out last week was completely safe - we didn't see another soul apart from those who passed us in cars and we didn't even touch a single gate. Nobody has been to the ruined farmstead we visited for years I think. We took all our own food with us and were never far enough from home that we couldn't have made it back walking if we had had a mechanical.

You can't be more socially distanced than sleeping in the forest in the arse end of nowhere. I will follow Trep's inspired suggestion to say that we are 'just practicing' riding our bikes with gear for training purposes. Few folk can conceive of someone wanting to sleep out in winter anyway, so it seems completely believable.
I went wild camping with my bubble.
Okay, so we drove to the start.
But that was allowed within the rules; she is now in tier 4. 😔 Whereas I’m in tier 3.

Anyway...
We took all our own food, had a water filter, are masters at LNT.
Across the weekend, for our two nights camping, we hardly saw another person.
We were hiking, and in the middle of nowhere; good luck finding us.

Whereas
A shopping centre before Xmas ((the Tesco superstore I use is within)) was full of people shopping; some with, some without masks.

A little common sense is required.
Unfortunately lacking from many.
barney

Post by barney »

Due to a nasty bout of sciatica I'm currently off the bike for a few weeks.

Requesting a medical note off Dr Reg and Dr John please.

Hopefully complete mine as soon as I can spend a night on a cold mat in the garden without waking up the neighbours by shrieking in pain every time I try to move. :lol:
Wait for me...
RIP

Post by RIP »

barney wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:58 pm Requesting a medical note off Dr Reg and Dr John please.
Go on then.

(Reminds me of another favourite sketch... Palin in best Sgt Major mode...." anybody else got anything they'd rather be doing.."... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLJ8ILIE780 )
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

whitestone wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:31 pm
Nowt yet dude.
Tried again.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No one else suffering the self-appointed Covid police at the minute? There's a sharp rise in their numbers round these parts of late.
May the bridges you burn light your way
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:57 pm No one else suffering the self-appointed Covid police at the minute? There's a sharp rise in their numbers round these parts of late.
Mate do pop over to the Chalfonts in leafy Bucks if you want a proper dose of self-righteous fucknuckledom.

I'm doing my bit. Have been for months. Good as gold. Carry and wear a mask whenever I am in a shop, which isn't often, and I am really limiting my movement. But this morning as I was putting a dram of diesel in the motor, with my bouncy bike on the back rack, some little prick 10 years older and 10kg lighter tried to tell me off for not wearing a mask and demanded to know where I was going with that bike, then.

Piss duly boiled I'd have had happily torn him a fresh hole had my daughter not been in the car.

Seriously, I take this seriously, but I am seriously hacked off.
I'm just going outside ...
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Taylor wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:44 pm
whitestone wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:31 pm
Nowt yet dude.
Tried again.
Proper email inbound.

Is your PM folder full or something?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It was, Sean proved to be the proverbial straw! I've emptied it
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:32 pm It was, Sean proved to be the proverbial straw! I've emptied it
I fail to see how your lack of housekeeping is my fault :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

What with the continuous flow of bad Covid 19 news here in England (Wales and Scotland have their own issues and rules) There are talks of lockdowns, tier movements, tier 5's and maybe even curfew's just been mentioned on the news tonight like they have in areas of France at the moment.

This coming weekend, please be careful, be safe, stay within the laws, leave as much gear as you can at your bivi or bothy site so you don't draw attention to yourselves.

Please remember you don't have to go to all, some or on fact any of your Grid References.
Sleep where you are allowed, at home, away, leave no trace, arrive late, leave early.

If you can't ride this weekend ride when it's OK to do so.
Take pictures, share your stories but most importantly stay safe, wear masks when going into the SPAR, take hand gel.

Take care
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mate do pop over to the Chalfonts in leafy Bucks if you want a proper dose of self-righteous fucknuckledom.

I'm doing my bit. Have been for months. Good as gold. Carry and wear a mask whenever I am in a shop, which isn't often, and I am really limiting my movement. But this morning as I was putting a dram of diesel in the motor, with my bouncy bike on the back rack, some little prick 10 years older and 10kg lighter tried to tell me off for not wearing a mask and demanded to know where I was going with that bike, then.

Piss duly boiled I'd have had happily torn him a fresh hole had my daughter not been in the car.

Seriously, I take this seriously, but I am seriously hacked off.
I had something similar yesterday Tim but while in a shop (yes, essential items) and that was from a member of staff. I politely explained that I understood his concerns but stupidly, he wouldn't leave it alone :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:14 pm demanded to know where I was going with that bike, then.
Barnard Castle would have been my answer :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

I know a chap by the name of Bernard Castle. He's an optician by profession.

Imagine how we laughed last April.

(please note, this post is complete fabrication)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I only ordered 1 in black 2 arrived

Mug link here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18815
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I'm afraid I'm out as my Rohloff hub has just sh*t the bed and needs to be sent away to SJS. God forbid it needs to then be sent to Germany or I'll be off the bike until Easter.
Appologies to Chris after obviously putting in a fair bit of effort into plotting my GR's.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

woodsmith wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:56 am I'm afraid I'm out as my Rohloff hub has just sh*t the bed and needs to be sent away to SJS. God forbid it needs to then be sent to Germany or I'll be off the bike until Easter.
Appologies to Chris after obviously putting in a fair bit of effort into plotting my GR's.
That's a shame, but don't forget there are no rules and you can do this any 2 days between now and the clock changing.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Now got some (sensible) GRs off Taylor, well apart from the one near Ramsgate :lol:
techno

Post by techno »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:40 am
woodsmith wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:56 am I'm afraid I'm out as my Rohloff hub has just sh*t the bed and needs to be sent away to SJS. God forbid it needs to then be sent to Germany or I'll be off the bike until Easter.
That's a shame, but don't forget there are no rules and you can do this any 2 days between now and the clock changing.
I've not had any GRs yet. Any chance someone could rustle some up for me?
MagicHat

Post by MagicHat »

Been offline for a while over Christmas etc and just having a catch-up on the thread ...

I'm in the High Peak (Derbyshire) and Tier 4 so am planning (probably like most people!) to hit as many GRs as possible as two separate day rides with a garden camp out on the Saturday. Hoping to make it a bit more authentic by getting a fire pit going and cooking a de-hydrated meal on the jet boil :)
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

techno wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:20 pm I've not had any GRs yet. Any chance someone could rustle some up for me?
Yes, no problems.
Please drop me a message on here with your instructions as to the area size and your post code and I'll do them this evening for you.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

News just in Scotland is going into a strict lockdown from midnight tonight.

Please follow the laws of the land where you live.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

techno wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:20 pm
JohnClimber wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:40 am
I've not had any GRs yet. Any chance someone could rustle some up for me?
Hi Andy... Can you PM me... I will try and rustle up some this eve or tomorrow eve?? Dont forget to include yourarea you wanna stay within please...
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I was / am Hull based.
If your area is Hull and surrounding I could do them.
Know some interesting spots.
techno

Post by techno »

Asposium wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:38 pm I was / am Hull based.
If your area is Hull and surrounding I could do them.
Know some interesting spots.
Thanks that would be great. 30km radius of Pearson park would.be perfect.
Andy.