January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by ScotRoutes »

Water is never a problem around here...

...unless it's all frozen.
TheBrownDog

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by TheBrownDog »

Soooooooooooooooooo ... I'm out. Deepest apologies to my VWE buddy. But over the Xmassmess me and the ex have somehow swapped weekends when the bairns are with us. And they're with me Sat 9th. I may get out for a ride that day, but I wont me hitting my GRs. And I may sleep in the garden. Maybe. But maybe not. Poop.
I'm just going outside ...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:36 pm Water is never a problem around here...

...unless it's all frozen.
I'll be taking my petrol stove
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

IMPORTANT UPDATE IN THESE COVID TIMES.

That although some of us will at this time be swinging a leg over a fully loaded bike to ride our VWE, even if we are kipping in the back garden.

PLEASE NOTE
That if Covid restriction (such as they are in Wales) prevent you riding as you would feel comfortable this time next week, there are no rules to say that you can't defer your VWE to a completely different weekend when it's safer to do so.

Whatever you do, do it correctly and to the rules of the tier or area that you live in.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

JohnClimber wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:08 am IMPORTANT UPDATE IN THESE COVID TIMES.

That although some of us will at this time be swinging a leg over a fully loaded bike to ride our VWE, even if we are kipping in the back garden.

PLEASE NOTE
That if Covid restriction (such as they are in Wales) prevent you riding as you would feel comfortable this time next week, there are no rules to say that you can't defer your VWE to a completely different weekend when it's safer to do so.

Whatever you do, do it correctly and to the rules of the tier or area that you live in.
I may have to do that as just been told 6 out of the transport office on the site I’m at have tested positive which means I’ve got a test booked in this afternoon,so it may be even the week after that , don’t want to drop out as K1100t has put quite a bit of effort in with what he sent me ,whilst he’s waiting patiently until tomorrow for me to send his out(been at work solidly except for Christmas Day)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I may play the Foul Weather card and delay a little too. No need for me to wait for a weekend though.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Although I'll be riding next weekend as exercise is permitted can I leave the luggage at home? I think a fully loaded bike attracts attention and also gives out the wrong message*, I'll take some luggage to carry extra layers, food, flask etc, just leave the bag and tarp at home. If I was riding somewhere more remote it wouldn't bother me but as I've noticed on my ride today, now people can't just amble round the shops they've all gone out walking and riding.

* This has nothing to do with a mince pie and ale induced lack of fitness and wanting a lighter bike :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:21 pm Although I'll be riding next weekend as exercise is permitted can I leave the luggage at home?
I was planning to do that for at least part of my route. I was also fully expecting to be at home for at least one meal. That's mainly due to the fact that my route neatly breaks into two and that there are no cafes etc open either.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:21 pm can I leave the luggage at home?
Of course. There are no rules other than sleeping outdoors
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

JohnClimber wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:08 am ....there are no rules to say that you can't defer your VWE to a completely different weekend when it's safer to do so.
Mid summer? 😂
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Asposium wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:07 pm
JohnClimber wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:08 am ....there are no rules to say that you can't defer your VWE to a completely different weekend when it's safer to do so.
Mid summer? 😂
LOL. WINTER event I guess is OK up to the end of February (or 20th March if you must).
RIP

Post by RIP »

Unless you popped over the equator to do it :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:26 pm
Asposium wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:07 pm
Mid summer? 😂
LOL. WINTER event I guess is OK up to the end of February (or 20th March if you must).
Spring equinox it is then. 😆
Verena

Post by Verena »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:21 pm I think a fully loaded bike attracts attention and also gives out the wrong message*,
Hmm, I hadn't considered that...

I suspect that only bikepacking folk would recognize the bags for what they are, i.e. portable "overnight accommodation", but you never know....

And we've had a fair bit of news attention drawn to the Brecon Beacons already....

I may well amend my plans accordingly too - and a less heavy bike would be welcome too at this time of year, fair point :ro :roll:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

On the Island all the other riders I know are familiar with my sleeping under a hedge habit so any I see will assume I'm sleeping out somewhere, and given the size of the Island I'll probably pass everyone I know :roll:

Added bonus is I'll be able to hang the damp tarp up in the shed on Sunday morning before I head out for day 2 and it should be dry ready to pack away when I get home :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Must be a bit bored cos I've just flicked through govt T4 advice.

Interestingly it says that some of the permitted reasons you can stay overnight away from home include:

1: are unable to return to your main residence

2: require accommodation for work purposes or to provide voluntary services

3: are an elite athlete and it is necessary to be outside of the home for training or competition

Hmm....

1: If I'm out in the late evening doing permitted exercise on a bike that is getting on in years it's not impossible that I have a severe mechanical that can't be sorted until daylight..

2: If you manufacture bikepacking gear then proper QA presumably includes real-world night-time testing...

3: elite backpackers?

The 'for work' thing is pretty well known but I didn't know about 'voluntary services'. As it happens I'm the voluntary warden for a nature reserve on the other side of our river. We're overdue for surveying badger activity - there's three setts. Of course badgers only come out at night and after cycling there it isn't reasonable to sit there all night without shelter or the facilities for taking a break and resting up...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Last lockdown I was as good as gold and did everything by the book. No nights out at all. This time I just feel so pissed off with the way the govt down south has screwed things up that I find myself less willing to comply. I will still do all the sensible things like wearing a mask and not going to someone's house, but I won't comply with things that aren't a risk just for the sake of it any more.

Our sleep out last week was completely safe - we didn't see another soul apart from those who passed us in cars and we didn't even touch a single gate. Nobody has been to the ruined farmstead we visited for years I think. We took all our own food with us and were never far enough from home that we couldn't have made it back walking if we had had a mechanical.

You can't be more socially distanced than sleeping in the forest in the arse end of nowhere. I will follow Trep's inspired suggestion to say that we are 'just practicing' riding our bikes with gear for training purposes. Few folk can conceive of someone wanting to sleep out in winter anyway, so it seems completely believable.
techno

Post by techno »

I'm out. Kids football is back on.
Have fun everyone. 👍
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Borderer wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:16 pm Last lockdown I was as good as gold and did everything by the book. No nights out at all. This time I just feel so pissed off with the way the govt down south has screwed things up that I find myself less willing to comply. I will still do all the sensible things like wearing a mask and not going to someone's house, but I won't comply with things that aren't a risk just for the sake of it any more.

Our sleep out last week was completely safe - we didn't see another soul apart from those who passed us in cars and we didn't even touch a single gate. Nobody has been to the ruined farmstead we visited for years I think. We took all our own food with us and were never far enough from home that we couldn't have made it back walking if we had had a mechanical.

You can't be more socially distanced than sleeping in the forest in the arse end of nowhere. I will follow Trep's inspired suggestion to say that we are 'just practicing' riding our bikes with gear for training purposes. Few folk can conceive of someone wanting to sleep out in winter anyway, so it seems completely believable.
+1... they really really take the pee/poo (delete as appropriate) do our govt...
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

TheBrownDog wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:32 pm Soooooooooooooooooo ... I'm out. Deepest apologies to my VWE buddy. But over the Xmassmess me and the ex have somehow swapped weekends when the bairns are with us. And they're with me Sat 9th. I may get out for a ride that day, but I wont me hitting my GRs. And I may sleep in the garden. Maybe. But maybe not. Poop.
I got a similar problem in that my better half is working Sunday so I’m on child minding duties. John’s given me a couple of close GR that I may be able to get with the lad, but if it remains this icy I don’t want to take him on the roads.

Plan B is a virtual virtual ride on Sunday and will do equivalent distance and climbing on Turbo as it would take to bag the GR’s I’d plotted for that day.

Not quite the same but feel I need to make effort on same day as everyone else as I really can’t see Tier 4 disappearing until spring. I am also not sure what the coming months will bring work wise. It’s beyond bad at the moment, probably worse than last year at my hospital and my cycling went completely out the window then, so need to get the opportunity in while I can.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Borderer wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:16 pm Last lockdown I was as good as gold and did everything by the book. No nights out at all. This time I just feel so pissed off with the way the govt down south has screwed things up that I find myself less willing to comply. I will still do all the sensible things like wearing a mask and not going to someone's house, but I won't comply with things that aren't a risk just for the sake of it any more.

This is exactly how I feel this time round, couldn't have said it better myself.
middleagedmadness

Well as the wife’s test has come back positive and I should have mine back tomorrow I will definitely be missing this weekend and doing it in the near future
Verena

Post by Verena »

middleagedmadness wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:45 pm Well as the wife’s test has come back positive and I should have mine back tomorrow I will definitely be missing this weekend and doing it in the near future
:sad: hope you're both ok...
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Bob, ygm.
middleagedmadness

Verena wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:48 pm
middleagedmadness wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:45 pm Well as the wife’s test has come back positive and I should have mine back tomorrow I will definitely be missing this weekend and doing it in the near future
:sad: hope you're both ok...
No symptoms at all , the wife has weekly tests from work but I had to take one due to what had happened at my work , the only symptoms was a bit flu like for a couple of days which I normally get anyhow due to working outside all year , put it down to being stuck under a truck in 6” of snow on Monday for a few hours, it is what it is , I’ve been lucky over the last year with the amount of mixing I’ve had todo through work ,
Thanks for the concern :-bd