January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by Dave Barter »

Taylor wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:34 am I might just get the turbo out, dust it down and watch the football on television whilst pedaling, then sleep in the garden.
I also have a serious case of CBA.
Zwift meetup?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
thenorthwind

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by thenorthwind »

Verena wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:03 pm I realized yesterday that the petrol station about 100 yards from my house still does hot takeaway breakfast rolls and stuff, I shall partake this weekend during/ after my ride for that authentic bikepacking feel...
Good thinking, I might skip breakfast, run to the Spar and get an armful of random high energy snacks for lunch :lol: Might sit on the forecourt and eat them for the full effect
Verena

Post by Verena »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:13 pm
Verena wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:03 pm I realized yesterday that the petrol station about 100 yards from my house still does hot takeaway breakfast rolls and stuff, I shall partake this weekend during/ after my ride for that authentic bikepacking feel...
Good thinking, I might skip breakfast, run to the Spar and get an armful of random high energy snacks for lunch :lol: Might sit on the forecourt and eat them for the full effect
Don't forget to cover yourself in mud first :-bd
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:05 pm
Taylor wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:34 am I might just get the turbo out, dust it down and watch the football on television whilst pedaling, then sleep in the garden.
I also have a serious case of CBA.
Zwift meetup?
That sounds too organised.
How am I meant to watch football online and zwift at the same time?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:22 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:13 pm
Don't forget to cover yourself in mud first :-bd
I was just about to say take a full watering can and pour that over your head, not sure which would be preferable...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Dave Pegler / Alpine VeloFes

Post by Dave Pegler / Alpine VeloFes »

Verena, Will you be washing (and washing a pair of bibshorts) in their sink too ?? :lol:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Dave Pegler / Alpine VeloFes wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:16 pm Verena, Will you be washing (and washing a pair of bibshorts) in their sink too ?? :lol:
Well, given that their only sink is in the kitchen where they will be preparing my breakfast.... I think I'll pass :cool:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

For all of us who have had our main weekend plans dashed.

Here's something for you to hold on to

Verena

Post by Verena »

JohnClimber wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:43 pm For all of us who have had our main weekend plans dashed.

Makes me think of
"A vow of silence? How interesting, tell me about it" (from Blackadder)
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:34 pm
JohnClimber wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:43 pm For all of us who have had our main weekend plans dashed.

Makes me think of
"A vow of silence? How interesting, tell me about it" (from Blackadder)
:???: :o :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Just a thank you from Reg and myself......

To all of you who signed up, shared our enthusiasm, kept this thread going, doing each others Grid Ref's and planning your own routes only to have everyone's plans scuppered.

With the highest death toll of the pandemic today and another couple of weeks before it tops out and hopefully starts making a downward slide.
We said you can do this ride before the clock alter...... well today I'm happy to announce that you can do this ride at any time before the clocks alter...... the 2nd time this year.... so you have 9 months of the spring and summer to ride your Virtual Winter Event.

When you have done your ride head over to Reg's post and share your stories photos and films on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=10&p=245523&sid=437b156 ... ab#p245523

Some are heading out on shorter rides, personally myself I'm just back from walking Archie (our dog) on very icy paths, and with the temperature dropping even lower overnight the black ice tomorrow is enough to put anyone off riding a 2 wheeled bike..... So I'm heading to the Mother In Law's (leaving her here., where she's been living since March,,,,,,, for a bit of peace and quiet) to fit in her new fire so when she can go home :-bd she'll be warm....... .
Sunday I'll head out on my bike and my Plan A is to head to my highest GR and cook a bit of a meal, but (if you are watching Derbyshire Police) as it's part of my exercise it's not going to be classed as a picnic :wink:

So whatever you do this weekend please do it safely and within the rules of the area where you live.
Last edited by JohnClimber on Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:15 pm so you have 9 months of the spring and summer to ride your Virtual Winter Event.
:-bd Well that's classic BBB insanity. Love it!! Now if Stu manages to sort us out with a WRT2021 on Aug Bank Holiday again, I shall ride my (V)WE2021 after WRT2021 which would surely be a first.

I'd echo John's sentiments - what a fantastic bunch here, the support and enthusiasm and madness is really uplifting. Hang in there people.

Personally I most certainly have not given up with this weekend though - where there's a will.....

Er, John mate, wot we doin' about (V)WRT2021 to keep the seat warm for Stu's proper one again? OW! Stobbit! Gerroffme, there's no call for that. OWWWW!!
Last edited by RIP on Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:27 pm Er, John mate, wot we doin' about (V)WRT2021 to keep the seat warm for Stu's proper one again? OW! Stobbit! Gerroffme, there's no call for that. OWWWW!!
Let Stuart make the call on cancelling it first there fella for god sake :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'll be going for a brief ride in the morning, slight interlude of chopping kindling at my mum's, then pitching the tarp in the garden*.

We've not had any snow :sad: but it's just on freezing outside now and tomorrow is forecast to be colder, certainly been a good frost the last few mornings.

I'll go to 1 of my GRs, the nearest, and save the rest.

*I've said it out loud now so I can't back out of it :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If it stayed snowy here then I might consider a bivvy this weekend. However, it's forecast to get up to as high as 6C tomorrow which means it'll all be a slushy, slow mess. Most likely I'll postpone. Might aim for 26th January (though that's leaving it a bit late for BAM) as that's Burns Night and I can therefore justify an additional whisky ration.
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:44 pm justify an additional whisky ration.
See, it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good :-bd

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:54 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:44 pm justify an additional whisky ration.
See, it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good :-bd
Where did. My Mother In Law spring from? :shock: :shock:
It's turning into Mumsnet! :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I'm off out in a bit. Heading to one of the nearest GR's (6000 year old burial chamber) which is about 12 miles from home, of which 10 miles will be in the snow. We had a big dumping yesterday on the hills so it should be fun....
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep all packed and ready to go. Brompton bag bulging because it's got the full winter kit in there - not sure when I'm back or exactly what route I'm taking so need to be prepared for anything. GRs all sorted and mapped down to the nearest square metre.

I'm going to make the very most of the permitted opportunities.

I see that angling is now allowed. Not sure how they pull those massive boxes along as they walk to the local lake but I'm sure it's possible. Interesting that angling is not classified as recreation or a leisure pursuit which aren't allowed. Seems a stretch that sitting stock still for 12 hours is exercise, but maybe it's some sort of homeopathic thing - a tiny lift of the finger is magnified 10,000 times in effort?

Last edited by RIP on Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Nice one Reg. Must try a bit of Brompton-packing.

Well, I'm ready too. I've already done the biking bit ... a restock ride to Tesco for the week's groceries, packed into panniers and a backpack. Twas slow going on the way home. I took a detour past one of my GRs on the way and wil make a point of checking them all off later in the year

My "camp" is ready to go and true to my word it's bushcrafty as far as I can be bothered, in that I batoned the kindling for the twig stove. Tonight there will be things cooked on an open fire in a fire pit which is up on the patio, my twig stove and bail pot and that weird looking fire chair thing, though that's for warmth. The morning should see me doing coffee on the fire but I may well escape inside to the nespresso machine.

Bring. It. On.

I'm just going outside ...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Right... so I degreased and unsiezed the chain yesterday then oiled it properly (with some Pedros.. none of that quick dry long lasting tripe that knackers* everything for winter... nor smoove). Today I've washed the salt from the bike and reoiled some key parts and married the chain back.

Shortly I'll go an pitch the tent and whack the sleey bag in there and go for a little ride on the main roads. Might try and find somewhere nice to take a couple o pics. Then tomorrow will play it by ear and see how I get on...
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:49 pm ... pitch the tent and whack the sleepy bag in there...
Or first put the bag in the airing cupboard for that warm-as-toast feeling :-bd .
It's blimmin' nippy out there :wink: .
May you always have tail wind.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

MuddyPete wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:00 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:49 pm ... pitch the tent and whack the sleepy bag in there...
Or first put the bag in the airing cupboard for that warm-as-toast feeling :-bd .
It's blimmin' nippy out there :wink: .
That's an idea... but then I might not get as much a WE feel... I thought we need to try and make it as miserable weather and warmth as poss :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well I won't dignify today with an official attempt. Went out to grab my nearest ones but only got two..... (Thanks to DawnA for providing)....
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The SMD Deschutes is up in the garden ready so obviously this would pop up on the news feed from the local paper

A LEVEL 3 Cold Weather Alert for the Isle of Wight is active today (Saturday), with a 90 per cent chance of severe cold weather and icy conditions between now and Monday

Luckily the Isle of Wight County Press's idea of 'cold' would still be shorts and tee shirt weather up north so I'll be fine :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger